General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Selling a bike outright

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 03:52 PM
searay40dad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Selling a bike outright

Just bought a new bike so I need to move my current one. Am I better off returning and advertising as stock or keeping the aftermarket pipes, tuner, breather, mirrors, etc. on it? Or maybe give prospective buyers an option?

New bike has SE pipes. I'd prefer to keep my BR 2-2 and put on the new one. What about listing old bike with the SE pipes?

One more question. What's more effective...craigslist, used bike website of some kind, paper ad, here?

Old 09-23-2014, 04:16 PM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it were me I would revert as much back to stock as I could. You won't get much for those parts if they are on the bike, and chances are the buyer will replace them with something else anyway (so they won't pay extra your yours)

Then I would keep whatever I wanted for future use and sell the rest

Old 09-23-2014, 04:48 PM
ConfuciusSay
Road Warrior
Received 2,529 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by Strahley
If it were me I would revert as much back to stock as I could. You won't get much for those parts if they are on the bike, and chances are the buyer will replace them with something else anyway (so they won't pay extra your yours)

Then I would keep whatever I wanted for future use and sell the rest
Agreed.

I have had good luck both buying and selling on CL. Just use the email as a contact, otherwise you will get calls/texts all hours. Respond to the posts with real interest, delete everyone asking you what your bottom price is.

Good luck.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:01 PM
FXDXTSport
Stellar HDF Member
Received 497 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by ConfuciusSay
Agreed.

I have had good luck both buying and selling on CL. Just use the email as a contact, otherwise you will get calls/texts all hours. Respond to the posts with real interest, delete everyone asking you what your bottom price is. Good luck.
Another trick I use is a goggle voice phone number. That way, even if you call them back because they appear to be a serious buyer and find out they are just trying to "help you" sell your bike, provide the financing or are just plain scammers they won't have your real phone number.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:06 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

some dealers will sell your bike on consignment...let them milk the buyers for top dollar and take care of the paperwork.

Old 09-23-2014, 05:23 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FXDXTSport
Another trick I use is a goggle voice phone number. That way, even if you call them back because they appear to be a serious buyer and find out they are just trying to "help you" sell your bike, provide the financing or are just plain scammers they won't have your real phone number.
In 2011 I sold a Suzuki s40 Boulevard on CL in a face to face cash only transaction to a local buyer. It's important that you stress that it must be a face to face cash only purchase, No personal checks, no cashiers checks, no USPS Money Orders, Accept nothing except United States Greenbacks and check them with a pen available at Walgreens or CVS, Long's to make sure that the bills are not counterfeit. You could fill up every jail iin America with the scammers hanging out on CL. Also beware of emails with non-standard American English grammar and spelling. It is also important that the buyer have a Motorcycle endorsement on their drivers License and a valid insurance policy (not a bad idea to make a photocopy of both) before he rides off with your bike... Not to be paranoid, but a little paranoia can be a good thing on CL... Be very careful out there!

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca.1750s

Old 09-23-2014, 07:00 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Strip it and try CL first. Filter out the DB's and tire kickers on the phone or via e-mail. Try to meet them at a public place and not your house where they can come back later and gank it and everything else they might scope in your garage. Make it a cash deal or certified check that clears with the buyer at your bank. I did the same kind of deal and it went off without a hitch.

Old 09-23-2014, 08:01 PM
JIMFXDC2013
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold one on consignment once, I figured they had the foot traffic and with them doing all the paperwork. They took a chunk but sold it in a few weeks and I just showed up and picked up a check.

Old 09-23-2014, 09:09 PM
Pass Rider
Road Captain
Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

Selling by consignment is a good idea, but I had a real problem with a consignment. I had a Yamaha TDM 850 that I needed to sell because I had just picked up a used FXR. I consigned the Yammie at one of the largest Yamaha dealers in Colorado. A month later, I get a certified letter from the federal government stating that the dealer had not been paying his taxes (his bookkeeper was embezzling funds) and I had to pick the bike up between 9 and 12 on December 23 or it would be sold at federal auction.

The morning of December 23 in Denver had a low of 1 degree. The bike was on the west side of town, I lived on the east. Got my bike, and froze my a** off riding it home.

I don't know if the laws are still the same, but make certain that your consigning dealer is in good financial shape.

Old 09-23-2014, 10:20 PM
E8USMCRET
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,250 Likes on 6,546 Posts

Originally Posted by Pass Rider
Selling by consignment is a good idea, but I had a real problem with a consignment. I had a Yamaha TDM 850 that I needed to sell because I had just picked up a used FXR. I consigned the Yammie at one of the largest Yamaha dealers in Colorado. A month later, I get a certified letter from the federal government stating that the dealer had not been paying his taxes (his bookkeeper was embezzling funds) and I had to pick the bike up between 9 and 12 on December 23 or it would be sold at federal auction.

The morning of December 23 in Denver had a low of 1 degree. The bike was on the west side of town, I lived on the east. Got my bike, and froze my a** off riding it home.

I don't know if the laws are still the same, but make certain that your consigning dealer is in good financial shape.
I had a bad experience trying to consign my 91 Softail. I had been away for a while in the Military and when I came back to check on it at a "Indie Shop" it had about an inch of dust on it and about a thousand oily fingerprints all over it. I tried to start it and it had a dead battery. I was pissed to say the least. I figured a bike shop would at least ensure the bike was presentable after all they stand to make something off the deal. Letting it sit without even starting it was just pure BS. I got it out of there in a hurry and sold it myself later on.

Quick Reply: Selling a bike outright