General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

winter prep

Old 09-26-2014, 07:04 PM
Bmatt
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default winter prep

as much as we hate it ,winter is coming what do some of the people on here do to prep there bike for a winters nap. I have in the past sprayed down all the chrome with wd40 anyone else ?

Old 09-26-2014, 07:15 PM
MotaMan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Winter prep?

It's been 80° here the last few days - more of the same the next few. Haven't even thought about it yet!

I usually put my bikes away over the Thanksgiving weekend, and try to have at least one of them back out by Easter.

I wax them, polish the chrome with wadding polish, change the oil & filter, fill them with gas (and marine sta-bil), ride them one more time, and put them away. 32 years now. No problems starting them up.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:27 PM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you use regular oil its time to put a lighter grade in, or a good synthetic for winter riding. Lube all cables and linkage, just changed primary oil. Bought a new winter riding jacket yesterday. I do go over all the chrome with seafoam deep creep. It protects the best against salt water and when I do get rust the stuff just melts it off. I do need a new rear tire soon, going into winter with even a half worn tire is not desirable from my experience.

Broke out the gloves and face masks too. But we have some awesome wearher for the next 10 days or so. Thats atleast 1500-2000 miles for me since I know snow storms will cut riding days down. Just enough to wear out the current tire. Should be ready for an oil change by then, oh and dont forget to use the severe service OCI, winter is brutal with condensation build up.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:33 PM
FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
NOT A MODERATOR
Received 20,402 Likes on 7,991 Posts

What the hell is winter prep?

This was taken last January

Old 09-26-2014, 07:37 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Clean the bike if it's dirty enough to need it. Fill gas tank, use some type of fuel preservative, run engine to get the preserved gas thru all the way. Change oil and filter, pull battey and store it in the basement on a battery tender, cover bike and start looking forward to spring.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:39 PM
popcorn13
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool winter prep?

way too early for me, am glad its getting cooler me and bike like it that way. no salt i ride as much as i can just dress for it. be safe. just me.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:44 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYING_BURRITO_BROTHER
What the hell is winter prep?

This was taken last January

So was this

Old 09-26-2014, 07:59 PM
Whtwolf14
Road Master
Received 47 Likes on 44 Posts

Still warm here, but I did order the oil, and have the other stuff waiting to put her to bed for her nap. Until then I ride whenever I get the chance for a couple hours at a time.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:04 PM
AK97fxdwg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I must be lucky because even living and riding in Alaska for 25 years and now Tennessee, I just fill the tank until it won't take another drop, stick it in the corner in the shed, throw a sheet over it and walk away. Springtime I change the oil and slap the trickle charger on it and then go. Sometimes I knock the big dirt clods off too but not always. So far, so good, but that's just me I guess.

Old 09-26-2014, 08:05 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,210 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Why not do a search and enjoy hours of reading on the subject?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: winter prep