General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can I ride without a tuner?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 07:56 AM
searay40dad
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can I ride without a tuner?

My new bike sounds like weadeater so I want to take the stock pipes off and put the Big Radius 2-2s from my other bike on but I won't have my tuner for a few days. Will it get too hot or be too rough to ride with the stock map? The cvo already has the heavy breather so not sure if that means the new bike's ECM is already somewhat set up for more air flow.

I don't want to screw up anything warranty-wise so I can wait until next weekend to do the pipe swap just have some extra time today to knock it off the to-do list.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:00 AM
Dusty Bones
Banned
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You lose about 25% cyber street cred if you run without a tuner on HDF.

Old 09-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dusty Bones
You lose about 25% cyber street cred if you run without a tuner on HDF.
True statement

Old 09-28-2014, 08:27 AM
workman482
6th Gear

Picked up my bike with those pipes and a se ventilator already installed and from what I can tell po never put a tuner on it. It's a 13' wide glide with 22k miles on it. It runs a little lean, but no other problems than that.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:11 AM
Pine Tree

Received 1,964 Likes on 463 Posts

Originally Posted by searay40dad
My new bike sounds like weadeater so I want to take the stock pipes off and put the Big Radius 2-2s from my other bike on but I won't have my tuner for a few days...
What "tuner" are you going to use?

Old 09-28-2014, 10:40 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would say just be patient and ride when everything is set and ready. But...I know how embarrassing stock pipes are so...

Old 09-28-2014, 11:18 AM
Jimstang
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I rode for about 500 miles with Freedom Performance pipes and Figure Machine air cleaner with no tune. It ran lean and hot plus a lot of popping on deceleration.
Running any motor too lean with modifications isn't the best idea and can eventually cause issues, especially with the valves.

I read a lot on the V&H FP3, some very good reviews and some very bad reviews...I figured that I'd take my chances and buy it since I don't plan to go past stage 1 until after I get stationed back stateside. The user friendly features of the tuner itself also helped with my decision. I have to say, for $350, it is excellent. My A/F ratio is spot on, there's more power and throttle response and no exhaust popping. From unboxing it, loading the software on my phone, to flashing the bike took about 15 minutes total.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:13 PM
Bestrafen
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 518 Likes on 267 Posts

Who needs a tuner? 56,000 miles without one so far, runs great.

Get rid of your EFI and get a carb, and you can do the same!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:33 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bike will probably be lean. Will it hurt? Probably not unless you use cheap low grade gas and the ambient temperature is death valley daytime hot. When it comes to the warranty--haven't a clue or care.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:16 PM
searay40dad
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jimstang

I read a lot on the V&H FP3, some very good reviews and some very bad reviews...I figured that I'd take my chances and buy it since I don't plan to go past stage 1 until after I get stationed back stateside. The user friendly features of the tuner itself also helped with my decision. I have to say, for $350, it is excellent. My A/F ratio is spot on, there's more power and throttle response and no exhaust popping. From unboxing it, loading the software on my phone, to flashing the bike took about 15 minutes total.
I have a FP3 on order from Kutter for the new bike and that's what I've used on my '13 Breakout. It's been easy to use and has performed as advertised for me. If it wasn't married to the ECM I'd use it but it'll go with the bike when I sell it.

I'll wait until I have everything in hand and just ride the new bike stock for a few days.

Quick Reply: Can I ride without a tuner?