General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

With Fall in Full Swing...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 09:05 AM
Big Boz
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts
Default With Fall in Full Swing...

Went on a long ride through west central Wisconsin yesterday. The weather was perfect in the 70's and the roads were about as good as they get. But, as the fall colors are really turning, I couldn't help but think of another season's end and started to take notice of some sad sights as I road. I wish that I would have stopped and taken pictures because some would have been great shots.

Many classic cars and trucks turning orange and brown with rust

A baseball field nicely groomed flat, clean straight chalked lines, with tall weeds sticking out all over the place

An old farm house, weathered gray, empty driveway, nice big maple in the front yard turning orange with two rope swings and nothing but very tall grass underneath like they hadn't been used by kids in years.

I am not really sure why I took more notice of these things today. Maybe it's just the turning of the seasons, maybe I am just a sentimental old shoe, but those are some of the things I will remember from an otherwise great day of riding.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:42 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Autumn can be a melancholy season when you hit middle age. It's best not to listen to songs like Frank Sinatra's "It Was A very Good Year". I'm going to try to ride up the Lake Michigan shoreline this week or next.

Old 09-28-2014, 10:54 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The thoughts and emotions during a ride is part of the fun. I've had the same thoughts myself lately as I watch leaves blow across the roads and colors changing. Fall just has a way of stirring reflective emotions from times past. Personally I could handle another 6 months of 90 degrees and sunshine but time marches on.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:09 PM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts
Talking

Personally my favorite time to ride. That smell in the air, cool weather, and the beautiful vibrant sights you see. Just watch the leaves and you're ok!

Old 09-28-2014, 12:16 PM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 969 Likes on 732 Posts

As great as it is to ride this time of year, I agree that it's a little more emotional than when I was younger.
Had a beautiful ride yesterday but what I felt most was when a wasp flew into my shirt and stung me 5 or 6 times.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:08 PM
EX18DELTA
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Autumn is my favorite time of the year and the season from which I have the best memories. What you describe is the very reason I enjoy riding......remembering the past but also looking forward to future rides.

Old 09-28-2014, 04:51 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Fall weather's the best...it's cool and still sunny. Plus the leaves are cool looking.

Old 09-28-2014, 05:00 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Best time in NJ too. 80 plus here today ,wont last long .

Old 09-28-2014, 05:29 PM
jerryt87
Road Master
Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts

Fall is the only thing I miss about living back east.

On the plus side the riding season here in AZ is about to get good again with the start of its fall/winter cycle!

Old 09-28-2014, 05:44 PM
wwiiavfan
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,103 Likes on 489 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boz
Went on a long ride through west central Wisconsin yesterday. The weather was perfect in the 70's and the roads were about as good as they get. But, as the fall colors are really turning, I couldn't help but think of another season's end and started to take notice of some sad sights as I road. I wish that I would have stopped and taken pictures because some would have been great shots.

Many classic cars and trucks turning orange and brown with rust

A baseball field nicely groomed flat, clean straight chalked lines, with tall weeds sticking out all over the place

An old farm house, weathered gray, empty driveway, nice big maple in the front yard turning orange with two rope swings and nothing but very tall grass underneath like they hadn't been used by kids in years.

I am not really sure why I took more notice of these things today. Maybe it's just the turning of the seasons, maybe I am just a sentimental old shoe, but those are some of the things I will remember from an otherwise great day of riding.

I'm with ya on that, Boz.
Spent the last two days spectacular riding in central & east central Wisconsin, but also couldn't shake the feeling that it's almost over. Kinda like that last summer weekend before school started when we were kids.

It was tempered a bit by the discovery that, ever since I got my Limited a few weeks ago, my 14 year old daughter has fallen in love with riding on the back (she never had interest in riding on my Dyna). So now I've got twice as many reasons to go for rides (wife and daughter)

Quick Reply: With Fall in Full Swing...