General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone here ride with a brain tumor?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:18 AM
SummitRK
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Does anyone here ride with a brain tumor?

It sounds funny when i read the title to the post. I think sometimes it might seem like you ride with several because they are probably something you can do without! Anyhow, i was diagnosed with a brain tumor last September. I had surgery shortly after in November. I recovered quite quickly, but they were only able to remove about 60% of it. I received radiation this year in June and July. I feel fine to ride, but once or twice i did seem to have a little bit of a balance problem. One of the time i had my wife with me and i nearly dumped it at a stop sign. I lost about 15-20 since the surgery, and i'm not that tall to begin with. I'm only 5'8" and i have a RK Classic. So, needless to say that made her nervous, and i don't blame her. I started riding with my boots on (that day i didn't have them on, i had flat footed hikers on) because they at least give me an inch or so advantage. I really haven't had any problems like that since. I told my doctor that i still ride, and he just gave me a look and asked if i wear a helmet. (No helmet laws in PA). I really don't want to give up riding although i think there will come a time when i will have to. Any other "disabled" riders here? Any ill effects?

Old 09-30-2014, 08:29 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 21,827 Likes on 8,403 Posts

If ya have a balance problem, it's not just you that is at risk. Consider others on the road who have no idea what may be going on with you.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:42 AM
Raxus
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Summit you might want take a look at a TriGlide. All the fun of 2 wheels (cept for twisties :P) but on a MUCH more stable platform.

I am a kidney dialysis patient. I also suffer from Neuropathy of the feet (a type of nerve damage where I have loss of feeling in my toes). Took my wife 2 years to talk me into test riding a TG, but when I did I was SOLD. I have had this '14 for 3 mos and have over 5k on her already. If you truly want to ride this is a great option!

If ya ever need to talk, just let me know.

Rax

Old 09-30-2014, 09:17 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 286 Likes on 161 Posts

I think it is too risky. I'm no Doctor but I would think depending on what part of the brain is affected could play a part in your decision. Best of luck.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:40 AM
JohnnyRebKY
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I re read your post a few times and I wonder if your height isn't the problem. You stated once you wore the right boots you haven't had a problem since. Not being completely flat footed while holding a 800 pound bike up with a passenger can be a problem. Sounds like you found the right footwear to correct that.

As far as balance I think we all can have a wobbly day. There's been times I wanted to ride my bike when I wasn't feeling well and could tell my balance was a bit wobbly. Riding requires full attention from our brain and it's a fact sometimes the old noggin can be distracted and not running full steam. Something as simple as worrying can effect you.

Anyway just trying to be optimistic here. The only person who can make this call is you. I think I would ride alone until you figure it out. Ride with a clear mind and when your body feels 100% so you can judge between really being off balance or just having a bad day. If it doesn't work out then those free wheelers or the tri glide would be a cool next ride!

Old 09-30-2014, 09:51 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,906 Likes on 3,285 Posts

SummitRK.... You're going to get a bunch of whiners in here that are going to say you could hurt other people or whatever &*^&* THEM!

Let me give you a piece of advice... Ride your heart out brother! F&*^& these clowns and their opinions, it's none of their business.
If your wife is willing to ride with you.. more power to you both. Live free, ride hard. That's the motto many of these wannabes wear on their sleeves but few live it.

My good friend just passed from a brain tumor. Like you, he had about 75% removed and did chemo and radiation, in the end, it wasn't enough.

Ride hard and god speed.

Rich

Last edited by Oldskewl; 09-30-2014 at 09:56 AM.
Old 09-30-2014, 09:57 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

I wish you lived closer to me, we would "ride em like we stole em".

FWIW, I am a two time cancer survivor, god speed my friend.

Rich

Old 09-30-2014, 10:03 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,041 Likes on 11,061 Posts

Glad to hear you are recovering. The decision to ride is up to you and your judgment. Only you will know when you can no longer ride safely.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:06 AM
Twistnride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm with Rich on this one. Ride like you mean it,and screw all the candy asses on this forum. Half these bitches are afraid to ride in the dark. I had to quit riding for 3 years,due to head trauma suffered in a wreck,kept blacking out whenever I moved my head too quickly. Once I had gone 6 months without a blackout,I was back in the saddle. Got shaky a couple of times,but that's it.Get in good physical condition,and ride like a m----er f---er.

Old 09-30-2014, 10:08 AM
Oldskewl
Seasoned HDF Member

Amen Bill.

I just buried my friend in August from cancer... It's a bitch, need to live every minute of life like it's your last..... that's one thing cancer has taught me.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Does anyone here ride with a brain tumor?