General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 04:59 PM
SomeRandumbDude
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dyno questions

Hey guys,

Before anybody starts bashing me on this thread about my ignorance just know that this is my first HD.

I just purchased Vance and Hines short shots and screamin Eagle heavy breather, haven't installed them yet as I know my bike must be tuned after. Started calling up for Dyno prices and got two totally different quotes from two different Harley dealerships. First I called Petersons HD in Miami as I heard their service prices were better and they told me $285 which I was happy with. But then I called Chester's HD in Fort Lauderdale and they told me $850 because I had to purchase a pro super tuner as well. Looks like if I have to purchase the pros supertuner too that Petersons Miami HD is still about $300 cheaper.

1- do I need the pro super tuner or did Petersons assume that I already had it?
2- does anyone in the south Florida area have prior experience with these two dealerships service departments? And you opinions

Any input and or recommendations is greatly appreciated

2014 H-D Iron 883

Old 09-30-2014, 05:09 PM
Nikolz
6th Gear

yes you need the tuner. the pricier one that accepts custom tunes. The cheaper dealer likely quoted labor only for the tune and assumed you had the part. And don't sweat the noobness!

Old 09-30-2014, 05:26 PM
cHarley
Club Member
Received 299 Likes on 228 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeRandumbDude
Hey guys,

Before anybody starts bashing me on this thread about my ignorance just know that this is my first HD.

I just purchased Vance and Hines short shots and screamin Eagle heavy breather, haven't installed them yet as I know my bike must be tuned after. Started calling up for Dyno prices and got two totally different quotes from two different Harley dealerships. First I called Petersons HD in Miami as I heard their service prices were better and they told me $285 which I was happy with. But then I called Chester's HD in Fort Lauderdale and they told me $850 because I had to purchase a pro super tuner as well. Looks like if I have to purchase the pros supertuner too that Petersons Miami HD is still about $300 cheaper.

1- do I need the pro super tuner or did Petersons assume that I already had it?
2- does anyone in the south Florida area have prior experience with these two dealerships service departments? And you opinions

Any input and or recommendations is greatly appreciated

2014 H-D Iron 883
The ECM in your bike is not really tunable, hence the need for a programmable tuner. For your changes, if you're not planning any serious motor work like headwork and cams, you might want to look into a set of xieds for around $100.00.

Old 09-30-2014, 05:57 PM
charloo
Cruiser

Just go with the SE Race Tuner and save yourself any issues and not 2nd guess about future upgrades later. My .02

Old 09-30-2014, 06:41 PM
Yellow_Jacket
5th Gear

Chesters Reno quoted me 240 for DYNO tune.

Old 09-30-2014, 07:24 PM
FastBagger07
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Where ever you decide to go buy the fuel management system that the tuner is most familiar and comfortable with you'll get a much better tune .Hope this helps.

Old 09-30-2014, 08:43 PM
SomeRandumbDude
Intermediate

Thanks guys, awesome input! I knew I came to the right place for info. I'm going to pick up a Screamin Eagle system. One last question. If I install the pipes and intake myself it should be okay for like a 15-20 mile ride to the dealership before tuning?

Old 09-30-2014, 09:24 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by SomeRandumbDude
Thanks guys, awesome input! I knew I came to the right place for info. I'm going to pick up a Screamin Eagle system. One last question. If I install the pipes and intake myself it should be okay for like a 15-20 mile ride to the dealership before tuning?
Don't try to race anybody and you should be fine.

Btw, I agree that spending the extra $200 up front for the race tuner is money well spent. No matter what you do down the road, that tuner module, plus a guy who knows what he's doing, can handle anything you want to do.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:23 AM
ngshop
Road Master
Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Get a power commander V from fuel moto with a map for your bike, about $299.00 Easy install and no real need for a dyno. Just another option good luck with what you choose.

Old 10-01-2014, 01:24 PM
Sharkman73
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with purchasing the SE tuner....just make sure you get the "SE pro super tuner" and no the "SE street tuner"...
Get the tuner, and get it tuned on the dyno....tuner is $459 I think & my dyno was $350, so here it's an $800 deal just for a good tune, but it's well worth it.
There is no substitute for a good dyno tune with the right software and a competent person doing the tuning.

Quick Reply: Dyno questions