General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fueling Question-How Far Do You Fill?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:12 PM
TJRKC
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fueling Question-How Far Do You Fill?

Whenever I fill up with fuel, I always wonder if I could/should put just a little bit more in. The fuel bubbles up towards the top of the fill opening, then when I stop it goes down quickly. If I keep "bumping" more fuel into the tank this goes on forever.....and the overfill spring and rubber flange that are installed on most pumps now make it difficult to see what you're doing. It can be tedious. Now I know this is not a life-altering thing, I just want to know if anyone else wonders about this, cares about it, has advice, thoughts, etc.

I realize that if I actually overfill the tank to the point where gas runs over the top of the opening that it will run out of the overfill hole below the fuel opening. That is not my question, but I'm sure I'll get some responses that point this out.

So do you guys keep going just until you see fuel start to bubble up into the filling neck or do you keep going until it settles up higher?

Old 10-01-2014, 03:16 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

If I am going on a long trip I will stand the bike in an upright position and fill before placing the cap on, this allows a few more tenths on every fill up. It doesn't stop the seat teeth from making you stop earlier though.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:19 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 520 Likes on 361 Posts

Well if you overfill it, that fuel just goes out the overfill tubes anyways. just wait until you see it bubbles

Old 10-01-2014, 03:24 PM
So-Cal Street Glide
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to try and top it off all the time by shaking the bike a little to make the bubbles go down or sit on the bike to have it upright but at the end of the day it doesnt really matter, your only getting another 1/10th of a gallon in. dont waste your time.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:27 PM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually take it just to filler hole . I have gone above to the threads for cap without any problem . Depending on your gas station ,the nozzle will pop off before you overfill . I never really trust them but have never had a problem . Years ago they were a little iffy .

Old 10-01-2014, 03:28 PM
m6zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fuel expands as it gets hot, too, which is one of the reasons you should leave a little room in the tank. Now, I've never had an issue filling up to the bottom of the neck, but these days I usually fill it up until the pump clicks it off.

Old 10-01-2014, 03:29 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't insert the pump into the fill hole. I hold it about an inch away. The fuel goes in with less splatter and I can see better where the fuel is rising to. I fill it right up to the lower metal flange.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:03 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

no fill hole , no paint saver .
I stick it in the tank , and when the pump shuts off I am done.
that last 1/2 quart doesn't matter , gonna stop again anyway.
way over thinking on this

Old 10-01-2014, 04:08 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

I just put the tip of the nozzle into the hole and fill it up to just below the opening. It's not rocket science.

Old 10-01-2014, 04:43 PM
6 gun
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,743 Likes on 980 Posts

When the gas starts running out, and all over the tank I count to three and stop. No, really I fill my bike on the jiffy stand, and I stick the nozzle into the fill hole and gas it till it stops, then I raise the nozzle just above the fill hole enough for me to see, and gas just as slow as i can, till the gas covers the fill hole plate and I'm done.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fueling Question-How Far Do You Fill?