General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile dealer service and questions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:10 AM
jim0249
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1000 mile dealer service and questions?

Just got a new 2015 Street Glide. Have heard horror stories about how expensive the initial 1000 mile HD dealer service is.
What exactly do they do at 1000 miles other than an oil and filter change? and is it worth it? or should I just change the oil and filter myself and be done with it?

Also, I,m hearing that I should have the catalytic converter removed to not only free up the exhaust but to cool the bike off as well? Should I do this?

Old 10-02-2014, 10:09 AM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

All three holes and some other checks (check your owners manual). Just did my buddy's. Cost him a 12 pack, some oil and a filter. Removing the CAT will reduce heat off the exhaust. Won't increase performance, wont make the engine run cooler.

Last edited by dribble; 10-02-2014 at 12:38 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Oxford
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

What Dribble said.
Here's a link to service check lists: http://www.gatewayhd.com/repair-your...ice-checklists

Mostly inspection stuff, but you'll need to be prepared for adjustments if needed.
Do some research. "SEARCH" is your friend. Tons of info on this site.

Get a Service Manual for your bike.

Took me about 3 hours, but I like to fiddle-fart around.

Old 10-02-2014, 12:59 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Another vote for checking the owners manual that should have come with the bike.

Old 10-02-2014, 01:30 PM
Thumper09
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the dealer do my 1,000 mile service because I thought it would help the bike present better if I planned to sell it. The receipt is actually what I paid 350 dollars for. The service isn't anything most can't do on their own. Another plus is that if you're not mechanically savvy it might be worth the dollars to have them completely go over the bike to make sure the wheels aren't going to fall off when you're riding it. After all, it is a Harley and bolts and parts are known to fall off in route. LOL!

Last edited by Thumper09; 10-02-2014 at 01:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Piloto
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 18,461 Likes on 5,663 Posts
Default Letting the dealer do it:

Mine will hit the 1K next week. I'm going to let the stealership do it... Why?

It's under warranty. If something needs to be adjusted or replaced, the warranty will cover it. If it needs a part... Warranty. If I did it myself and found something wrong... It's under warranty, I'd still take it to the dealer. This is why we have warranties.

Now... I LOVE doing my own oil, as well as minor to mid level wrenching. Once the bike is no longer under warranty, I'll start doing it all myself again. When the warranty is up, it won't see a stealership again unless the engine fraggs or I need a tire broken down. And that's only if I can't find an indie to do the tire...

Old 10-02-2014, 03:55 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

heres a list of what most dealers should do for new bikes.. As it should be a LOT more than just changing the oils....

http://www.adventureharley.com/softa...nance-schedule

As to the Cost, my 1k service was $269.. including syn oils.... the 5K was $249 with syn oils and the 10k &15k was $169 as I changed the oils before taking her in.. That was back in 07,08, 09

I know dealers in diff states charge more or less than others.. Our dealer NOW is $279 for the 1st service if using dino Oils. $20 more if syn oils..

Also some have reported in here if you don't let your dealer do at least the 1st one you may have some trouble later if you need or have a warranty issue.

Personally I let the dealer do my first 4 till 15k, when the 2 yr warranty was up and then I did most of the work myself and our Local Indy did the rest after that.

Last edited by oct1949; 10-02-2014 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 04:59 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$350 service is a cash cow for dealerships. I'm sure it costs them less than $100 for parts and labor for this work. Other than the fluid changes, it's mostly just checking fasteners and such. I choose to do my own service for two reasons. First, it's saves me money. Second, I know that everything is checked and done right. I would rather not trust my life to some half-*** mechanic making $10 an hour. I know a lot of people have no option when it comes to service because they don't have the skills or the tools. However, if you do have the skills/tools then you are an idiot.

Old 10-02-2014, 05:40 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by jim0249
Just got a new 2015 Street Glide. Have heard horror stories about how expensive the initial 1000 mile HD dealer service is.
What exactly do they do at 1000 miles other than an oil and filter change? and is it worth it? or should I just change the oil and filter myself and be done with it?

Also, I,m hearing that I should have the catalytic converter removed to not only free up the exhaust but to cool the bike off as well? Should I do this?
In all honesty, even though I made a reply about looking in your owners manual if you wanted to know what they did for the 1k mile checkup, I have a thought for you. There's more to doing a checkup than just changing the oils. I took mine in for the 1k service job because I wanted a much more qualified person to check my bike out to see if it was breaking in properly. I look at it this way, it was cheap insurance for me considering how much I paid for my Springer. To each their own but to me I did what I thought was best for the investment that I made in my Harley.

Old 10-02-2014, 07:42 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by SPRINGER
In all honesty, even though I made a reply about looking in your owners manual if you wanted to know what they did for the 1k mile checkup, I have a thought for you. There's more to doing a checkup than just changing the oils. I took mine in for the 1k service job because I wanted a much more qualified person to check my bike out to see if it was breaking in properly. I look at it this way, it was cheap insurance for me considering how much I paid for my Springer. To each their own but to me I did what I thought was best for the investment that I made in my Harley.

And this is exactly what the dealers are counting on for most of their customers. And if it makes you feel better than it is worth it to you.

IMHO scheduled maintenance it is a cash cow for the dealers!!!!! Very little that most folks can't perform themselves.

Quick Reply: 1000 mile dealer service and questions?