General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine pinging

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 04:28 PM
Norcalsvt
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Engine pinging

Hey everyone, I have a 09 fat bob with the stage 1 setup from harley. Recently I installed some vance and hines short shorts with the optional quiet baffles. In the previous setup and the current setup at wot in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, I swear I can hear some pinging. I am in Cali and I run our premium which is 91. Looking in to getting it dyno tuned down the road. Any thoughts? Mabe run some octane booster? For the time being? I'm new at all of this so any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rob.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:35 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely need a tuner with both air cleaner and pipes changed out.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:49 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You don't say whether or not it was tuned by Harley after the stage one. If so, then just changing the pipes should not have made much difference. If they just did a flash tune then it probably wasn't right the first time. You will probably have to bit the bullet and get a custom dyno tune if you want it right. There are not short cuts to getting the right tune. Don't waste your money on fuel additives.

Old 10-02-2014, 04:50 PM
bullast
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Agree with crimson.

Running the bike too lean will burn up pistons (worst case).

I would run the stock A/C until you get the tuning sorted out, just to be safe.

Old 10-02-2014, 10:22 PM
nightrain1983
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try running different brands of gas through it. Mine pings on anything other than she'll.

Old 10-02-2014, 11:42 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by nightrain1983
Try running different brands of gas through it. Mine pings on anything other than she'll.
You need a tuner.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:02 AM
Norcalsvt
Cruiser
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I know that the previous owner had the stage one reflash of the ecu done when he put on the heavy breather intake and the screamin eagle slipons. Now the bike has short shots. But the pinging has happened with both setups. Do you think this would help? http://www.dkcustomproducts.com/ViED...DK-VIED-NR.htm
Thanks

Old 10-03-2014, 10:58 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Norcalsvt
Hey everyone, I have a 09 fat bob with the stage 1 setup from harley. Recently I installed some vance and hines short shorts with the optional quiet baffles. In the previous setup and the current setup at wot in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd, I swear I can hear some pinging. I am in Cali and I run our premium which is 91. Looking in to getting it dyno tuned down the road. Any thoughts? Mabe run some octane booster? For the time being? I'm new at all of this so any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Rob.
You can thank the EPA and our nannyminded government for that pinging. You can chase those pings forever with different combinations of hardware and software, and flavors of gasoline, but you will never get rid of them completely. Ok, go ahead and bash me.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:05 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

And I am running the FL-Xied product on my stock 2010 96ci engine. I believe it works as advertised. I still experience pinging when the day time temps are above 90 degrees and under a load.

Old 10-03-2014, 11:49 AM
nevil
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 968 Likes on 731 Posts

One of the versions of the XIEDs may help if it's your mixture, but if the problem is you've got too much timing in certain areas you need a real tune with a real tuner.
The dealer download is a canned map, not a tune up.

Quick Reply: Engine pinging