General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson SX250

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2014, 08:03 AM
Ironyman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Harley Davidson SX250

Anyone know anything about these little bikes. See one on CL from the '70s. Looks good. I wouldn't mine getting a small on and off road bike. Been wanting a Honda SL350 for the longest. This 250 is two stroke. Not much info on a Google search. Wide range of prices. One guy said in pristine condition they are worth $1500 to $1700.
This one needs blinkers put back on. Probably other wiring problems. And no Speedo. But does look good in the picture and he said it runs good. But he wants $1900 for it. I'm thinking $800 tops.
Seems they where made in Italy by Aeromacchi. Only thing Harley about them is the Harley name was put on them. O'course in a since that makes them Cooler than the Honda. But are they good bikes? Or should I just continue my search for a good SL350?

Old 10-11-2014, 08:12 AM
Mxpilot
Road Captain
Received 534 Likes on 201 Posts

Parts and reliability would be an issue, and I think some places have issues with 2-stroke street bikes. You seem on track about the price for its condition though.

The Honda would be a good bet, in spite of its age, as parts are still available (although some are not). My dad just rebuilt his original 1977 XL350 and its a beauty. Runs like a champ and is a one-owner, 3500 mile machine. Will last far into the future now.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:32 AM
waramaug
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 350sx sucked off road. Geared way to high. Of course the knobby tires wern't great on the street either.

Old 10-11-2014, 09:55 AM
Scrambler900
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year is it? Pics or a link? You can keep thinking $800 all day long and keep dreaming that you can buy it for that. Here in the Northeast you can't get one that runs for less than $1500-2000. A nice one is over $2k easy. I helped a friend try to find one for the last two months. He ended up with a 1973 Yamaha DT-175 that the paid $2000 for. Restored other than original factory paint.

It may not have turn signals because it didn't come with them from the factory.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:49 PM
Ironyman
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scrambler900
What year is it? Pics or a link? You can keep thinking $800 all day long and keep dreaming that you can buy it for that. Here in the Northeast you can't get one that runs for less than $1500-2000. A nice one is over $2k easy. I helped a friend try to find one for the last two months. He ended up with a 1973 Yamaha DT-175 that the paid $2000 for. Restored other than original factory paint.

It may not have turn signals because it didn't come with them from the factory.
He it is:

http://springfield.craigslist.org/mcy/4705435880.html

Open to anyone that wants it. O'course disclaimer: 'Not Mine"
As you can see Turn Signals are included.
I'm just going off what info I could find on the web.
So you think (or Maybe 'Know") that these are good bikes. Or are people just paying for the name?
Ok, the Honda SX and the SL are to different bikes.
The early 70s SL ('71 to 75) had the best (or maybe I should just say Good) bullet proof engines. That's when I was a Teen and I always liked them. True, neither bikes make the Best Trail Bike.

Old 10-11-2014, 03:09 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I bought the street version of that, ss250, for my wife brand new still on the crate back in 1976. Fork lift put the crate in my truck. Only problem I had was if u rode it for a long period of time it would get so hot it would seaze up. Had to let it cool down some and then it would continue on. Dont know if they all did that, but mine did. Also, it started up 1 time running backwards. When you put it in gear it moved backwards, i swear. Shut it off and restarted and it was fine. Never did it again. I then was leary of the bike so I sold it and gave her my 67 ss250 sprint, 4 stroke. See pic.

Attached Thumbnails Harley Davidson SX250-fxdljanred.jpg  
Old 10-11-2014, 03:25 PM
MotaMan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cocky
...Also, it started up 1 time running backwards. When you put it in gear it moved backwards, i swear.
Two-stroke engines will run backwards by advancing the timing. They can do this due to not having a valve train. I found out the hard way while tuning my YZ125 when I was about 15... :-) Wound 'er up and dumped the clutch to do a holeshot/wheelie on takeoff. Bucked me right off, over the bars; the bike continued on its way, backwards. Bike was fixable; underwear was a total loss!

My brother has a late-model Ski-Doo something-or-other sled that has 'reverse' that works exactly this way. Touch the start button while it's running, it advances the timing (probably 30° or more) and the motor starts running backwards to give you reverse. Touch it again, and go forward (really fast if you want to!)

Old 10-11-2014, 04:49 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Well there u go. I have told that story for 35 yrs., not ever knowing what really made it do that. Thx for the explain.

Old 10-11-2014, 05:17 PM
Mr HOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ironyman
Anyone know anything about these little bikes. See one on CL from the '70s. Looks good. I wouldn't mine getting a small on and off road bike. Been wanting a Honda SL350 for the longest. This 250 is two stroke. Not much info on a Google search. Wide range of prices. One guy said in pristine condition they are worth $1500 to $1700.
This one needs blinkers put back on. Probably other wiring problems. And no Speedo. But does look good in the picture and he said it runs good. But he wants $1900 for it. I'm thinking $800 tops.
Seems they where made in Italy by Aeromacchi. Only thing Harley about them is the Harley name was put on them. O'course in a since that makes them Cooler than the Honda. But are they good bikes? Or should I just continue my search for a good SL350?
Great novelty bike and conversation piece if that's what you are looking for. If you really want something to ride, easy to maintain and find parts for, then buy a Honda or Yamaha.

Old 10-11-2014, 06:45 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,011 Likes on 576 Posts

That's a $800-1200 bike max if you ask me, and I have a few Aermacchi's.
I don't think it would make a reliable bike for everyday use, just my opinion.
You can still gets parts, but they are very pricey!

Quick Reply: Harley Davidson SX250