General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It's time. The move has to be made.

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 07:15 PM
motorfin
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wifes folks are in their eighties. He's ridden most of his life on two wheels. Switched over to three at 75. Both her folks are still ridin after all these years. I respect those that call it quits when they can no longer ride. But I have high respect for those that choose to continue riding even if they have to go to three wheels. Just sumthin baddass about someone in their eighties who won't give it up.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:19 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by motorfin
...Just sumthin baddass about someone in their eighties who won't give it up.
And there you have it; it ain't the hardware, it's the attitude.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:30 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Although I wish the OP luck and continued wind in the face...........When I am done on two I am done riding......a trike won't cut it for me. I rode one and it felt like a wheel chair for bikers. I will miss the physics of riding more the the wind......I will be looking at new Vette Convertible to stay in the wind.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:36 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

A trike may not be a bike but its a lot better than a car. Glad you decided to stay in the wind. Ride on.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:42 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 703 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by roadking2000
I'd be curious to know how many of you that say you prefer a sidecar over a trike have ridden either or both. If you have ridden both, why did you decide the sidecar was a better choice? If you've not ridden either, what led to your choice? I'm not looking to argue, just curious why you made the decision that you did.
I've never ridden a trike, but once you get the hang of a hack, it’s not bad. Plus, if you ride solo, you can store and haul a ton of crap in that side car. More than a trike. I just think a hack looks great to boot.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:57 PM
roadking2000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
I've never ridden a trike, but once you get the hang of a hack, it’s not bad. Plus, if you ride solo, you can store and haul a ton of crap in that side car. More than a trike. I just think a hack looks great to boot.
For me it's very tiring and requires a lot of muscle and to much body movement. It isn't as relaxing as riding a motorcycle or a trike. I didn't care for the fact that it handles differently at different speeds and requires different rider input to even maintain a straight line depending on the speed. There seems to be a whole lot of pushing and pulling on the bars and a lot of weight shifting and was just tiring. I can't imagine what it would be like to tour on one.

Old 10-20-2014, 10:00 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

The 2015 Freewheeler HD trike is $24,999. At 74 yoa I just added one but not for any reason of limitations. I just wanted to complete my HD collection of at least one of every family. Many considered the Triglide to be separate and not just part of the touring family.

Traded a Ural with sidecar but not much of a change except I can no go faster on three wheels. 55 to 60 just didn't cut it for long distance touring for me but many have toured the world on Urals. I like to get six to 700 miles in each day. The trike is not near the workout riding that a side hack is. The Freewheeler is lower and has a much lower center of gravity than the Triglide as it does not have the fairing with all the radio gear and instruments. Also no tour pack trunk. It can book through the corners with ease.

I only have 800 miles on it so far. But it handles great and the 103 HO motor is a strong runner.

The three wheel with front mount and the front two lean which HD designed just a few year back and has a prototype in their museum has been released as a kit for the Vrod at a price of $5K through the dealer and can be mounted by the owner diy. Soon it is reported that it will be out for the other cruisers. Don't know about availability for the touring frame though.

For those that think a trike is not a motorcycle can have that low merit opinion. It is by law a motorcycle in fifty states and the rest of the world.

Last edited by lh4x4; 10-20-2014 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:51 PM
rhd47
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SamStone
I'll go with a side car when the time comes.
+1.......and I ain't too far away from that.....knee injections, knee brace, spinal injections....still on 2 wheels though...!

Old 10-20-2014, 10:59 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,477 Likes on 2,477 Posts

Have you thought about going to a lower, lighter bike, like a LowRider or a Slim?

Old 10-20-2014, 11:03 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
Good to know you still want to ride.

I saw a nice looking trike yesterday at a biker bar. It had custom looking fenders that made it stand out.

136 posts a day of nothing. Nothing. Thanks for 136 posts a day of it.

Quick Reply: It's time. The move has to be made.