General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Weight, In Running Order"?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 12:56 PM
BTScott
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I found it in the owners manual. Should have looked there a long time ago!!!

*Running Weight* = includes all fluids plus gas tank approximately 90% full!!

Old 10-22-2014, 12:57 PM
Uncle G.
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,704 Likes on 1,989 Posts

Originally Posted by BTScott
Just as I thought --- nobody knows. I read the Wikipedia page several times in the past and it basically is UN-enlightening. Harley Davidson knows, but they aren't telling!!

Semper Fi - and thanks for your service!

B. Scott
How do you know they're "not telling"? Did you ask them? I'd think if you wanted to know, you'd ask H-D.

Edit-post 11 beat me to it.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Mr. Neptune
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I am going to ask the dumb question here, and no offense to the OP but who cares?

I have no plans on ever bench pressing my bike or doing dead lifts with it and unless you have to pay per pound to have it towed home. I have always found the weight of street bikes or any other vehicles like cars and trucks to be useless info along with Algebra.

The only time I care is when it comes to my dirt bikes because there are times you have to literally drag it up a hill or something.

Weight of my truck = don't care
weight of my car = don't care
weight of my dog = only a little bit but he is a small dog............lol

Old 10-22-2014, 01:09 PM
BTScott
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You're right -- dumb question!

I care or I wouldn't have asked!

Old 10-22-2014, 01:12 PM
From_Behind
Club Member

Received 893 Likes on 513 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune
I have always found the weight of street bikes or any other vehicles like cars and trucks to be useless info along with Algebra.
Heyyy - a lot of us use Algebra daily at work! LOL!

Old 10-22-2014, 01:15 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Okay, I found it in the owners manual. Should have looked there a long time ago!!!

*Running Weight* = includes all fluids plus gas tank approximately 90% full!!
"RTFM" strikes again!!

Old 10-22-2014, 02:23 PM
Mr. Neptune
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

You're right -- dumb question!

I care or I wouldn't have asked!
And like I said, not trying to step on your toes nor is my answer reflecting on your question. My point is, weight information on street bikes, cars and trucks mean nothing valuable to everyday life.

The only people that care about vehicle weight are transporters (Semi trucks and so forth) and pilots.

Ok, so now you know the answer.......how is knowing the weight of your bike (Dry or wet) going to improve/change your life?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:45 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter

Received 4,307 Likes on 2,356 Posts

But wouldn't the bike weigh real light in running order, I mean if the engine is running then the fly wheels on the crank would be unsprung weight? Yes....No?

Old 10-22-2014, 06:55 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by seniorsuperglideE8
But wouldn't the bike weigh real light in running order, I mean if the engine is running then the fly wheels on the crank would be unsprung weight? Yes....No?
No.

Unsprung weight is wheels, tires, brakes, and anything "below" the springs. The engine, or anything else attached to the frame, is not unsprung weight. Whether or not the engine is running or the bike is moving doesn't affect it.

"Sprung weight: The complete chassis, including all the parts that are suspended above the suspension’s springs, is considered “sprung” weight. That includes the frame, engine, plastic, controls, saddle, upper fork tubes and shock body. It’s called sprung weight because springs are used to hold it up and to isolate it from the bumps that the wheels hit.

Unsprung weight: Unsprung weight is the mass that hangs below the springs (fork legs, hubs, brake calipers, rotors, spokes, rims, swingarm, linkage, tires, tubes and rim locks). Unsprung weight is more closely connected to the ground than the parts above it, because when you hit a bump, unsprung components compress into the chassis to absorb the impact.

Hybrid weight: One of the conundrums of calculating sprung and unsprung weight is the question of whether the shock and fork springs are one or the other. The answer is complicated, but it does have a definitive answer. While the chassis floats on the shock and fork springs as if the coils were part of the sprung mechanism, the wheels push into the springs as if they were part of the unsprung weight. Thus, the weight of the springs is split 50/50 between sprung and unsprung weight. Thus, the weight of the springs is different from sprung and unsprung weight; it is referred  to as “hybrid weight.”

Above quotes from the following article: http://motocrossactionmag.com/featur...nsprung-weight

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 10-22-2014 at 06:58 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:47 PM
Silvio
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune
And like I said, not trying to step on your toes nor is my answer reflecting on your question. My point is, weight information on street bikes, cars and trucks mean nothing valuable to everyday life.

The only people that care about vehicle weight are transporters (Semi trucks and so forth) and pilots.

Ok, so now you know the answer.......how is knowing the weight of your bike (Dry or wet) going to improve/change your life?
So, you have a beef with healthy curiosity and knowledge for the sake of knowledge?

Last edited by Silvio; 10-22-2014 at 11:00 PM.

Quick Reply: "Weight, In Running Order"?