General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the most important and most annoying trait in a Harley Davidson Sales person?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2014, 10:27 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I hate salesmen/women period. The entire process has always been a huge PITA - auto, bike or whatever else.
First they hover 'round you like a bunch of hookers needing your money for their next fix.
And after the 'sale' is consummated there's the bell ringing, motor revving and flashing of showroom bike headlights so that everyone in the dealership knows another fool has been parted from their money.
Oh joy.

Old 10-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Strahley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by m6zero
Most important: wanting to sell me a bike
Most annoying: trying to sell me a bike

It's complicated, but makes sense...
This. Exactly this

Old 10-24-2014, 11:52 AM
PanhandleChuck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
And after the 'sale' is consummated there's the bell ringing, motor revving and flashing of showroom bike headlights so that everyone in the dealership knows another fool has been parted from their money.
Oh joy.

Holy circus, step in the center ring! I just purchased a new Road King 3 months ago and had none of circus you're describing. However, I noticed you're on the left coast!

Yea, I know the ringing of the bell is a HD tradition,but my dealer doesn't have/use one.

Old 10-24-2014, 12:04 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

There are two differently owned Harley dealers within 30 or so miles, one in NC. The MB Harley store is old school sales. Sales guy-Sales Manager- F&I Sells "lifestyle", Charges every penny they can over MSRP for this and that. They all pretty much ride or look like they do.

I sold my 2014 Ultra to a guy who was negotiating on a new one and the sister store in Charleston store was charging him $1600 in "fees" over MSRP he bought mine with 870 miles for $2500 less than I paid without blinking an eye. I recouped my loss on the used 2014 Heritage I bought in Shallotte

The dealer in Shallotte has Only two salesman in a larger dealership. Those two guys do not ride. They each handle the deal from sales to F&I. No GM No F&I guy No Sales Manager........ You see ONE Person for the entire transaction. They give you the best price which is usually either MSRP OTD or UNDER. They take a lot of business from South Carolina Harley Dealers.

The owner put that dealership where it is specifically to get Myrtle Beach business and the local DMV said 3 of 5 new bikes come from that dealership.

I drove up there and spied a used 2014 Heritage it had 900 and an $18,200 price tag I asked Adam to send me an email with his best OTD price on the bike.......The next morning $16700 was in my email . I got a ride up there and bought the bike and 10% off accessories installed free. (Bike already had $800 in accessories on it) and the wheel package. (no tubed tires for me). No pressure to buy an ESP.

So the guys who did not ride or look like pirates give the best deals, don't sell "lifestyle" Just straight shooting. They know they only have one shot at MB buyers and make it a good one. They take a lot of sales from Myrtle Beach. But Myrtle makes it up on tourists who come from places where they apparently pay even more for new bikes during the year and bike week.

BEACH HOUSE HARLEY

TWO sales people/sales managers.F&I guys (at the desks on the right), each handle the entire sale

While you wait for service..

Old 10-24-2014, 12:28 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 815 Likes on 801 Posts

Never really though about.. it....

Everybody is different...

Reckon for me (Most Important) just let me know your there If I have a ?? and leave me alone to browse a little bit

What my (Most Annoy) pet peeve's is Don't try to BS me cause I am usually up on the info about what I am getting ready to buy, as a salesman you better have answers if I do have a ?? and Don't ever try a High pressure/ Pushy sale..

Old 10-24-2014, 04:17 PM
PanhandleChuck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

@Tenmidgets, nice post!

I walk into my dealership, it's rather new, 1 or 2 seasons under their belt, I was approached after about 15 minutes. I wanted a 2014 Road King with Security and ABS (the combo is a package now in Mysterious Red Sunglo, upgrade color). That's all, nothing else, my own financing, no extended warranty, no add ons, period. After reading about folks paying over MSRP I was little apprehensive as the buying process was underway and my patience is very low inside any dealership. I'm friendly, informed, and research complete. I had decided on a new bike because for some reason Harley Davison owners think their used bike should sell at new bikes prices. My dealership sells to a lot of tourist. It was clear I was a local and they wanted my business. I don't expect the bike for free or at a loss, just a fair deal.

The salesman came back with 900.00 under MSRP after upgrades. I bought, no hassle.

By the way, I gave HD Financial an opportunity to beat my credit union APR and they did.

Old 10-24-2014, 04:30 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

I deal with the owners son (also the sales mgr, chief bottle washer, do it all). Hes a great guy and his best attribute is that he listens to what I need. They may be kinda small, but that next door guy feeling. He rides a lot and really knows his stuff. Tells me what I dont need as much as what I do. Harley Haven in S.C.

Old 10-24-2014, 05:52 PM
baka1969
Extreme HDF Member

Received 704 Likes on 467 Posts

Originally Posted by TenMidgets
There are two differently owned Harley dealers within 30 or so miles, one in NC. The MB Harley store is old school sales. Sales guy-Sales Manager- F&I Sells "lifestyle", Charges every penny they can over MSRP for this and that. They all pretty much ride or look like they do.

I sold my 2014 Ultra to a guy who was negotiating on a new one and the sister store in Charleston store was charging him $1600 in "fees" over MSRP he bought mine with 870 miles for $2500 less than I paid without blinking an eye. I recouped my loss on the used 2014 Heritage I bought in Shallotte

The dealer in Shallotte has Only two salesman in a larger dealership. Those two guys do not ride. They each handle the deal from sales to F&I. No GM No F&I guy No Sales Manager........ You see ONE Person for the entire transaction. They give you the best price which is usually either MSRP OTD or UNDER. They take a lot of business from South Carolina Harley Dealers.

The owner put that dealership where it is specifically to get Myrtle Beach business and the local DMV said 3 of 5 new bikes come from that dealership.

I drove up there and spied a used 2014 Heritage it had 900 and an $18,200 price tag I asked Adam to send me an email with his best OTD price on the bike.......The next morning $16700 was in my email . I got a ride up there and bought the bike and 10% off accessories installed free. (Bike already had $800 in accessories on it) and the wheel package. (no tubed tires for me). No pressure to buy an ESP.

So the guys who did not ride or look like pirates give the best deals, don't sell "lifestyle" Just straight shooting. They know they only have one shot at MB buyers and make it a good one. They take a lot of sales from Myrtle Beach. But Myrtle makes it up on tourists who come from places where they apparently pay even more for new bikes during the year and bike week.

BEACH HOUSE HARLEY

TWO sales people/sales managers.F&I guys (at the desks on the right), each handle the entire sale

While you wait for service..

They get you drunk so you don't blow a gasket when you see the bill and know how bad they’re screwing you.

Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 PM
TenMidgets
Stellar HDF Member
Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by baka1969
They get you drunk so you don't blow a gasket when you see the bill and know how bad they’re screwing you.
Yeah the free coffee. cheese danish, hot Dogs and sodas can really fog the mind..... Seriously these guys are worth the 30 mile trip.

Old 10-25-2014, 02:46 AM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most important: friendly, knowledgeable and willing to negotiate.

Most annoying: the exact opposite of the first question!

Quick Reply: What is the most important and most annoying trait in a Harley Davidson Sales person?