General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the most important and most annoying trait in a Harley Davidson Sales person?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2014, 05:50 PM
PanhandleChuck
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb What is the most important and most annoying trait in a Harley Davidson Sales person?

There you go, two questions, most important trait and most annoying. I'll provide a few examples:

Most important:
Initial contact, greeting, knowledge, age, personality, sincereity, honesty, confidence in ability, experience, integrity, good conversationalist, attitude, personal appearence, cleanliness........

Most annoying:
Always trying to close the sale without a reach around, lack of personality, aggressiveness, feels like a snake in the grass, lacks humor, no confidence in abilites, poor knowledge, stalling and wasting your time, trying to kill you with kindness, hover's over you not letting you enjoy bike shopping, whiner, talks about personal problems, etc.....

We all know price is usually the determining factor, but the buying process is often driven by the sales person, so what do you say?

Last edited by PanhandleChuck; 10-23-2014 at 05:57 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 05:54 PM
Crazy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,509 Likes on 802 Posts

Most important trait: Knowing their stuff, admitting what they don't know and knowing where to get the correct info in a timely fashion.

Most annoying: Where do I start? Anyone who's ever bought a vehicle knows what these are. I guess giving BS "salesman" type answers to questions rather than just answering the question.

Old 10-23-2014, 06:11 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Most important trait - knowing their stuff, listening to your wants/desires, staying in touch after the sale

Most annoting traits - when their demeanor is such that it feels like you're taking time out of their busy schedules and you're an idiot for asking why they charge a surcharge

Old 10-23-2014, 06:17 PM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,869 Likes on 1,490 Posts

Most important:

Actually listens to the customer, understands their level of knowledge, and deals with them politely.

Worst quality:

"These are new Harleys. We are selling gold bars at a Copper price. Buuuuuut, that 3 year old pile of junk you are trying to dump....I mean trade in, is completely worthless."

The following users liked this post:
Curt5811 (09-30-2016)
Old 10-23-2014, 06:20 PM
m6zero
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most important: wanting to sell me a bike
Most annoying: trying to sell me a bike

It's complicated, but makes sense...

Old 10-23-2014, 06:27 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Annoying...pushy and not knowing about the bike I'm looking at. I had to tell them a '13 Blackline had a side mount license plate. The '12 didn't. And not having stock.

Important...treating you like you're their best friend. Which as we all know, lasts about as long as a campaign promise.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:27 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Most Important: Honesty
Most Annoying: Talking about a bike when they don't really know what they're talking about.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Last edited by DK Custom; 10-23-2014 at 10:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Be there when I want you, leave me alone when I don't, take no for an answer, same as any salesperson.

The HD salespersons I've been around have treated me as good or better than a lot of other salespeople I've dealt with. Not pushy, know their stuff. Way better than the ones when I bought my ricer.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Understand that the only reason that they are there is to fulfill the needs of the customer; thereby fulfilling the needs of the dealership. Friendly and welcoming is also a good thing.

I consider it a given that they are comfortable with knowledge of the product. If they always have to ask a manager to answer a customers question, they obviously need further training on the product line.The salesperson should be knowledgeable about the product, otherwise why is s/he there?

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750s

Last edited by Str8chuter; 10-26-2014 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 07:48 PM
Renegadewolf
Stellar HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by Brewmany
Be there when I want you, leave me alone when I don't, take no for an answer, same as any salesperson.
I got lucky when I bought the Sportster, I had a great saleslady. Sarah knew her bikes and was great to work with. She even gave me tips on the bike, seeing as she rides Sportster that gave her credibility.

Last edited by Renegadewolf; 10-23-2014 at 07:51 PM.

Quick Reply: What is the most important and most annoying trait in a Harley Davidson Sales person?