General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tool sets, starting from scratch

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2014, 05:52 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts
Default Tool sets, starting from scratch

My apologies, I've done a variety of searches and come up pretty much empty, probably from using the wrong key words.

Need to build up a tool set for regular maintenance. I'm up to date with smaller torque wrench that I use on my bike for the tiny bits. I know I need to get a belt deflection checking tool and an oil filter wrench.

As it pertains to a decent all encompassing tool kit plus larger torque wrench (say 20ft lbs-110ft lbs), does anyone have a reasonably priced suggestion?

Is there an all in one or will I need to make up with a few different kits?

Currently at home I have a ragtag assortment, couple of small sockets and adjustable wrench, pliers. Frankly I figure I should just start from scratch.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as always. Would like to stay in the $200-$300 range if at all possible.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:10 PM
union53
Road Captain
Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

You can start with one of the craftsman mechanics sets. It has a variety of sockets and wrenches. After that fill in the gaps when you have some cash.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts
Default o

unfortunately you don't have a lot of options for quality tools at the retail level anymore, Crapsman tools, or what the local Lowes or Home Depot sells are your only choice, unless you troll Craigslist and yard sales and get some vintage tools that won't grenade when you put some ooomph to them.

Make sure you get a Torx 27 bit and a 10mm 12 point socket, and a GOOD 1/4" 12 point socket

( I have 3 tool boxes filled with Craftsman stuff I got when I was 12, my Dad's tools (pre me, 195?) and all the S&K, Mac, Matco, Snap-On, etc stuff I bought from 1982 to 2005... most of it pre 1990..thank God because it would cost me a fortune to replace it... the last Snap On 1/4 inch ratchet I bought was close to a C note last year.....)

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 10-25-2014 at 06:24 PM.
Old 10-25-2014, 06:20 PM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by robbyville
...Need to build up a tool set for regular maintenance... Is there an all in one or will I need to make up with a few different kits?
I'm sure you'll get a variety of answers, so here's my suggestion...

It really doesn't take a huge set of tools to do most of the regular maintenance items on any Harley. I would say just buy what you need when you need it. Buy good quality -- maybe you don't need Snap-On, but avoid cheap junk -- I'm sure you'll get plenty of specific recommendations here.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:29 PM
robbyville
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 141 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks folks.

Good calls, I did find a 348 piece craftsman set for around $250 that included all the Torx bits along with metric wrenches (which I don't think I need for the Harley and I have a small assortment of).

Plus need to get the torque wrench.

May do just what you say and scrounge smaller kits that have what I'm looking for. Was on ebay last may make a trip to the Lowe's tomorrow

Old 10-25-2014, 06:38 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,787 Likes on 18,560 Posts

A lot of kits are filled with "frivolous" items that you generally won't need. You'd be better off picking and choosing as you go. Yes a T-27 Torx ( several, they break easily ) is a necessity.

Old 10-25-2014, 06:43 PM
Redoilokie
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,709 Likes on 5,857 Posts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000LW...&robot_redir=1

I have all the tools I need at the shop. I got this set for light bike and home jobs so I don't have to carry **** home on the weekends.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:08 PM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

In Canada we have Canadian Tire Stores, not sure of a US version. I never pay full price for their tools unless I absolutely need it. Their MasterCraft Maximuim pro wrench sets can go on sale for as high as 50-75% off. The sales rotate on a regular bases and if you can wait the set you want will come on sale within a few months.

I picked up the motorcycle jack there at 40% off for $70 a couple of years ago.

Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

this is a pretty good starter set of tools at a good price...
http://www.craftsman.com/250-pc-mech...1&blockType=G1

I've had my Craftsman tools for 42 yrs and now (a Retired Machine Repairman) I have 2 complete sets up to 1 1/2 in wrenches and up to 3/4 in sockets..

It takes yrs to put a complete set together or If you on an Apprenticeship as I was you can spend your tool allowance on them.. in all I have over $3K in everything in 3 boxes and 1 roll around...

Old 10-25-2014, 07:37 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

your Craftsman tools are about the same age as mine, and there is NO comparison between the old stuff and the new stuff, the new stuff is CRAP, the old stuff were good consumer grade tools that did not break unless you really abused them. 3 grand... hell that wouldn't fill my wrench drawers at this point. I think I have 6 drawers of wrenches between SAE and Metric

as for the 3000 piece sets, toss out the 15 cent tools that make up half the set.. allen wrenches are filler material, then figure out what you are really getting.

90% of your HD is SAE fractional hardware. so you are not going to need that 100 piece metric allen wrench set, you will need some of the fractional stuff though.

I will tell you a funny story, I was working on my 03 a couple of months ago, shortly before I added the 13 to the fleet... and I posted to my FB page that there is a certain pride in accomplishment in being to work on your own Harley, not because it is advanced piece of machinery (it isn't) but because if you can start a job and finish it, chances are you have the best set of tools in the neighborhood. IIRC I was swapping the 03 exhaust out for a newer set with O2 bungs for my attempt at installing a Thundermax (long story) and I was digging into drawers in the toolbox that had not been opened in years, getting out tools I had not used since the 1980's.

Last edited by Neggy ZRXOA 5248; 10-25-2014 at 07:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Tool sets, starting from scratch