General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Recumbant Heated Jacket

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2014, 07:45 AM
djohn
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Harley Recumbant Heated Jacket

Just curious if anyone has tried the recumbent heated jacket (part #98556-15VM) from Harley. It seems like a more functional choice in heated gear (being battery powered) than the type that has to be connected to the battery on the bike.

Anyone care to give me a review?

Old 10-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Might be a good one if you didn't have to lie down to wear it (recumbent?).

Old 10-28-2014, 11:07 AM
3/4 life crisis
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking at the spec. This is not water or wind resistance, no inside pockets. Might be designed as a jacket liner? I don't see how it can be useful as an other jacket, also only 3 heating panels (2 in front and 1 in back). Not a bad price for HD jacket, though.

Old 10-28-2014, 08:34 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

I was talking to my local dealer about the jacket and the vest. It's strictly a liner or mid layer. I think I remember her saying at about 50%, you'll get about 8 hours before needing to recharge the battery. I do like the idea of not being tethered to the bike.

Old 10-29-2014, 09:19 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,244 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoM
I was talking to my local dealer about the jacket and the vest. It's strictly a liner or mid layer. I think I remember her saying at about 50%, you'll get about 8 hours before needing to recharge the battery. I do like the idea of not being tethered to the bike.
I've been using plug-in gear for over 10 years. Its no big deal. Its a simple coax connector and the reliability and heat you get is great. I ride all winter unless there is snow or ice on the road and all I ever use is a heated liner and heated gloves working off the same controller. Long johns, a gaiter, skull cap, facemask and thermal socks come out when it drops below 45 degrees. Nothing better than riding on a sunny winter day, toasty with never more than 2 layers on under the liner and ofcourse a good leather jacket.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 PM
Shep68
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kojak
I've been using plug-in gear for over 10 years. Its no big deal. Its a simple coax connector and the reliability and heat you get is great. I ride all winter unless there is snow or ice on the road and all I ever use is a heated liner and heated gloves working off the same controller. Long johns, a gaiter, skull cap, facemask and thermal socks come out when it drops below 45 degrees. Nothing better than riding on a sunny winter day, toasty with never more than 2 layers on under the liner and ofcourse a good leather jacket.
Ditto. Except I'm using pant liner too.

And that 8hr. battery time is probly 4 hrs. in reality with a brand new battery. Sure enough after a week or two of use that thing will die right in the middle of a cold ride. Bike battery lasts 5+ years and will always keep you heated.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:59 PM
vaxt
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think that there is any way that jacket/liner can provide much heat. The battery is listed as 7 volts with no capacity spec. If you just run 90 watts of heated gear (which is not much) at 14.4 volts (typical alternator output) you would need to provide 6.25 amps . At 7 volts that goes up to 12.85 amps. That would even drain the large battery on the motorcycle in short order. For reference, low beam headlights are usually 55-60 watts each.

In my opinion, that jacket/liner is way over-priced, and I would not even want something like that for free. It will not keep you warm. Unfortunately, there is no battery powered solution right now. You need to something that you can plug in.

There is much better gear out there that doesn't say "Harley Davidson" on it. Just go to one of the big online stores like Revzilla or Motorcycle Superstore and, with a few clicks, see all of their heated gear in one place.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:14 PM
rob0225
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 42 Posts

I don't see how rechargeable battery heated gear is a good option. I wouldn't want the hassle of recharging the battery all the time and as was mentioned before, I doubt you get the claimed duration from a rechargeable battery.

I think HD is moving away from vehicle powered heated gear to rechargeable battery stuff.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:25 PM
DinoM
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 39 Posts

Hmm... Maybe that's why it's a recumbent then. You have to be laying down for it to work properly. Sorry... bad humor!
It sure does look convenient though. Again, nothing against plug in stuff either. I can't say I own either because I really don't do a whole lot of cold weather riding.
Once the snow hits and they salt the crap outta everything, the bike gets put into hibernation.

Old 10-29-2014, 04:19 PM
DanRC
Road Master
Received 187 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by rob0225
I don't see how rechargeable battery heated gear is a good option. I wouldn't want the hassle of recharging the battery all the time and as was mentioned before, I doubt you get the claimed duration from a rechargeable battery.

I think HD is moving away from vehicle powered heated gear to rechargeable battery stuff.
I have to agree. The battery will last less and less as you use it, and with 300 cycles, not for too long. Also there is only a 3 year warranty on the heating elements. For the same price you can get a Gerbings liner that plugs in and has a lifetime warranty on the elements. Milwaukee sells a battery operated heated jacket for $230 that is water and wind resistant, runs on 12V and has an USB port to charge your phone. You can also purchase the 12V DC adapter cord.

Quick Reply: Harley Recumbant Heated Jacket