General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Review: ICON Elsinore Boots

Old 10-28-2014, 02:57 PM
William C
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-28-2014, 03:34 PM
Calavera Negra
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. I still have my icon og field armor chukka boots, they are awsome boots. Icon makes some good riding boots.

Old 10-28-2014, 07:27 PM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Nice to see a review of good technical boots on a Harley site. I speak from experience when I say braking your foot on a blind cager's front bumper is no joke. Funny how he decided to make that left turn right at the last microsecond.

I actually tried the Icon Baja, or short version of this boot. Very nice protection and cool look, but just a bit too chunky for me.

I went with Revit Mowhawk boots instead. Toe and heel box armor, along with ankle bone armor and a great grippy sole.

I've also been known to wear good made in the USA boots, all with reinforced toe, and heel shanks, and grippy soles. But no ankle bone protection on those other than the leather. Red Wing Iron Rangers, Thorogood Mocs, and Ace Engineer boots are on that list. The Thorogoods are my favorites right now.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:30 AM
stic2it
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSoftailSlim
Nice to see a review of good technical boots on a Harley site. I speak from experience when I say braking your foot on a blind cager's front bumper is no joke. Funny how he decided to make that left turn right at the last microsecond.

I actually tried the Icon Baja, or short version of this boot. Very nice protection and cool look, but just a bit too chunky for me.

I went with Revit Mowhawk boots instead. Toe and heel box armor, along with ankle bone armor and a great grippy sole.

I've also been known to wear good made in the USA boots, all with reinforced toe, and heel shanks, and grippy soles. But no ankle bone protection on those other than the leather. Red Wing Iron Rangers, Thorogood Mocs, and Ace Engineer boots are on that list. The Thorogoods are my favorites right now.

I'm on the fence about the Mohawks, are u using a shifter cover so they don't get messed up?

Old 10-29-2014, 10:43 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

I've been looking at the boots on and off for a while because well, dammit they're cool! But cool does equal good. My previous experience with Icon has been a pair of gloves and test fitting helmets. The helmets fit poorly and my gloves had the finger tips wear out of them after about a year or so, so I've been skeptical about their quality.

Well, the soles started falling off of the Harley boots my 'rents bought me when I got my first HD (a 2001 Sportster in 2001). A little glue will fix them, but they're clunky and don't wear particularly well. So I was really on the hunt for a new boot. I managed to find a place selling Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots for nearly $200 off the MSRP. I ordered them yesterday and I'm waiting to get them. Sidi's reputation for performance and quality is leaps and bounds ahead of Icon, so I'm hoping I'm not disappointed by a pair of $300 boots. I was planning on writing a reveiw of them once I received them and had a chance to put them through their paces.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:07 PM
vaxt
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Village Idiot™
I've been looking at the boots on and off for a while because well, dammit they're cool! But cool does equal good. My previous experience with Icon has been a pair of gloves and test fitting helmets. The helmets fit poorly and my gloves had the finger tips wear out of them after about a year or so, so I've been skeptical about their quality.

Well, the soles started falling off of the Harley boots my 'rents bought me when I got my first HD (a 2001 Sportster in 2001). A little glue will fix them, but they're clunky and don't wear particularly well. So I was really on the hunt for a new boot. I managed to find a place selling Sidi Adventure Gore-Tex boots for nearly $200 off the MSRP. I ordered them yesterday and I'm waiting to get them. Sidi's reputation for performance and quality is leaps and bounds ahead of Icon, so I'm hoping I'm not disappointed by a pair of $300 boots. I was planning on writing a reveiw of them once I received them and had a chance to put them through their paces.

Great choice on the Sidi Adventure! They were one of my final two choices in boots, but I went with the Alpinestars Toucan. These are definitely the two most protective waterproof boots that you can buy right now.

I find the Toucan to be very comfortable and reassuring. Most people don't think about how fragile the foot, ankle, and lower leg are. Just try to remember the last time you had a tiny problem with a toenail and how it hurt to walk! To get more protection, you would need to go to a full-on motocross boot.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:56 PM
DaveTheButcher
Road Captain

Interesting. I've had my eyes on these particular boots for a while now. Just need to find a place I can try some on at.

Old 10-30-2014, 12:59 AM
SoCalSoftailSlim
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by stic2it
I'm on the fence about the Mohawks, are u using a shifter cover so they don't get messed up?
I didn't use a shifter cover. The Mowhawks actually come with a little leather band you wrap around the shifter area of the boot to prevent wear, but I didn't use that either. Now the Mowhawks do have a pretty heavy shifter mark.

I did however, just recently get different shifter pegs because I got tired of messing up my nice boots with a shifter mark and wanted something a little thinner than the stock rubber wrapped peg. The pegs I got are Performance Machine contour pegs. No shifter marks on my nice Thorogoods with those yet.

Old 10-30-2014, 05:30 AM
Village Idiot™
Stellar HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vaxt
Great choice on the Sidi Adventure! They were one of my final two choices in boots, but I went with the Alpinestars Toucan. These are definitely the two most protective waterproof boots that you can buy right now.

I find the Toucan to be very comfortable and reassuring. Most people don't think about how fragile the foot, ankle, and lower leg are. Just try to remember the last time you had a tiny problem with a toenail and how it hurt to walk! To get more protection, you would need to go to a full-on motocross boot.

And even my Harley branded boots feel as if they didn’t have adequate ankle support. At least, not enough to save it from breaking if enough pressure were to try and bend it left or right in the event of an accident. Of course, sometimes I don’t wear the best foot protection in the world depending on where I’m riding (work), but hopefully I’ll be able to change that by carrying a pair of sneakers with me when I ride.

At $330 shipped for a new pair of Sidi Adventure boots, I couldn’t pass them up.