General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highly Modified 92' XL Cafe: Speedo fix, Axtel 1450 Bore, etc

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2014, 11:54 AM
Lavaspit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Highly Modified 92' XL Cafe: Speedo fix, Axtel 1450 Bore, etc

HeyHey guys,

I'm coming out of the Italian world so I don't know much about HD's. I lost a great cafe racer a couple years back and have been looking for something truly unique ever since.

One thing that has come up on my radar is this 92' XL Custom. It was originally an XL, which is a model I always liked before these new Sportsters started popping up everywhere.

What I want to knwo is - what are the pros and cons of making an offer on this bike? I mean when you go back past say 2000, you're looking at very different suspension setups, brakes...everything we've come to be comfortable with. So Im weary of unforeseen problems. That being said, the bike looks to be just right. The only major concern I DO know about is that the whole dash, the analog Speedo, etc - is dead. So that would be project #1.

Other than that, here are the specs for the custom work, and a couple pics. The engine has been bored out to be a 1450 Axtel - so take that into consideration as that is a major mechanical / performance mod and known to cause problems...even when dealerships do it tot get your factory Sportster up to 1200.

Engine:

Axtel Kit around 1450 cc
Mikuni Carbs
Supertrap Exhaust

Transmission:
5 speed stock Tranny
Converted to Chain Drive

Suspension:
Zx6r Front End
Rear shocks with reservoirs
Custom

Customization:
Dual Disk Front brakes from Zx6r
Storz Aluminium Tank
Storz Rearset Kit
Cafe Racer Seat
Sofa Seat also included

Apparently the tank and rear sets itself cost $1900. A lot of time and labor invested. Im curious about how the swing arm will effect turn-ins. Its looking a bit like a drag setup...which could be real fun, or a disaster.

See pics (swappable seat is pretty awesome...I know folks who would buy these seats for quite a bit alone...but then I'm in San Francisco).

Final word: Just bear in mind I do a LOT of city riding, so this bike would be mostly for show, but Id expect it to perform very well on the days I can get out of town. Also, I'm a very big RSD fan. So I don't know if they support this model or not, but I woudl love to start picking up some of their bits.

What do you guys think? Tell me about all the fine print on this thing. i really need to be armed with as much info as possible when I go to make an offer (if I do), especially when considering the Speedometer problem. I dont know wha the disconnect is...but putting an iPhone on the dash will not suffice for me.

Thanks all!

Old 11-02-2014, 01:42 PM
bullast
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the asking price?

What rear shocks are those? They've got an ohlins-esque look to them.

ZX-6R suspension is pretty damn good stock, but are there internals in the forks?

Those brakes can be "squishy" but braided steel lines (spieler) make them excellent.

Looks to have the wheels as well.

The speedo issue can't be that big of a deal. In my uneducated opinion, worst case is the cables broke somewhere.

I like it. Don't like it for $5k or something crazy, but its cool.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:16 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Great bike. Suspension and brakes light years ahead of stock harley stuff (radial calipers and brakes, upside down forks, ridiculously light wheels, etc). And Storz stuff isn't cheap. It will handle superbly. The Mikuni carbs are a great complement. All it "needs" is an aftermarket swingarm to complete the look. Awesome bike --will command a pretty penny in SF or SoCal. I'm certain he'd get much better than 5k for it...

RSD stuff? Well, it will be part by part. Exhaust? Yes. Air cleaner, sure. Grips? Depends on if the bars are 1" or 7/8, unless he makes stuff for metric sport bikes like he used to. Etc. ..

I'd hit it

Last edited by Rhino-1; 11-02-2014 at 03:19 PM.
Old 11-02-2014, 03:18 PM
Lavaspit
6th Gear

Asking is something like 7k. I offered 5. Its still high, but remember, I'm in the By Area where we have extreme inflation - especially when it comes to custom items and one-offs of any kind. We just dont see much of that around here.

I would be happy to talk him don from $5750 to a firm 5k. I believe he invested at least 2 k in the custom rear fairing swap out. So...think of it that way.

Whats bothering me is...this bike has been up on Craigslist for months. Maybe people are going out to see the bike and finding something they don't like - something worse than the speedo. or - maybe people don't want to pay the asking. I have no idea.

I want a Cafe or Scrambler, and I know Ill have to buy something stock and put a lot of money into it - or pick up someone else project.

Old 11-02-2014, 03:21 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Lavaspit
Asking is something like 7k. I offered 5. Its still high, but remember, I'm in the By Area where we have extreme inflation - especially when it comes to custom items and one-offs of any kind. We just dont see much of that around here.

I would be happy to talk him don from $5750 to a firm 5k. I believe he invested at least 2 k in the custom rear fairing swap out. So...think of it that way.

Whats bothering me is...this bike has been up on Craigslist for months. Maybe people are going out to see the bike and finding something they don't like - something worse than the speedo. or - maybe people don't want to pay the asking. I have no idea.

I want a Cafe or Scrambler, and I know Ill have to buy something stock and put a lot of money into it - or pick up someone else project.
For months tells me his asking price is too high--market doesn't lie. And we're coming into cheap bike season. Hit him at 5500...

You will have a very unique bike....

Old 11-02-2014, 03:22 PM
Lavaspit
6th Gear
Default Right on

Originally Posted by Rhino-1
Great bike. Suspension and brakes light years ahead of stock harley stuff...

I'd hit it
Right on, Rhino. I can gt him down to just under 6k - only becasue he;s in trouble. I see a lot of value in the work that's been done, too. Im with you.

What don't you like about the swingarm? Its already been custom lengthened. You like single-sided?

Old 11-02-2014, 03:38 PM
Lavaspit
6th Gear

Anybody recognize that rear sprocket? Anybody know if I can pay with the tire-size?

Rhino - tell me more about your beef with the Swingarm.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:05 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 433 Likes on 260 Posts

Wow; lot's of performance $$$ spent on that bike! Always wanted an 88" XL...
A JMC or Metmachex aluminum swingarm would look lots better; lighter, too.
Those tall shocks look like you'd have very little trail...could be a quick handler and even scary at speed. Hope you get it...keep us posted!

Old 11-03-2014, 12:13 AM
Rhino-1
Road Captain

Originally Posted by sharkey
Wow; lot's of performance $$$ spent on that bike! Always wanted an 88" XL...
A JMC or Metmachex aluminum swingarm would look lots better; lighter, too.
Those tall shocks look like you'd have very little trail...could be a quick handler and even scary at speed. Hope you get it...keep us posted!
This, on the swingarm. These would just look much better than the stamped steel box section arm on there now.

Oh, btw, the sprocket looks like an AFAM hard -anodized aluminum sprocket. Good stuff.