General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying from a private who has a loan: ADVICES

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 02:15 PM
t3nax
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Buying from a private who has a loan: ADVICES

Hi guys

im here asking for advices regarding a purchase im doing

im a foreigner so I might be naive or uninformed

here the situation:

a guy (who i trust 100% but it doesn mean anything) has this 2011 1200 Nightster i wanna buy

he purchased at HD dealer with a loan

the debt is 6500 about

he needs to get rid of it

We went to the dealer together to see if they could switch the financing from him to me ( i could and i can pay 100% cash but i was interested in financing a part of it to improve my credit, I just got a SSN)

Harley said to re-take possessione of the bike and then turn to me they need to inspect the bike and do some paperworks = 1200 dollars to be paid upfront

So i decided to buy it directly from this guy, in cash

He called the bank (which owns the loan/bike), they communicated us the exact payoff amount

They said to send the check and they'll release the title and the Title will come to me under my name (maybe it will take 2-3 weeks)

Problem is I will give money without having a title in hands...or to take a look at it.

Is this safe ?

Is this the only way to go considering financing with those fees is unacceptable ?

This guys will provide me a BILL OF SALE, but i dont think has any legal importance

thanks guys

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-03-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-03-2014, 02:19 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,391 Likes on 518 Posts

Thats how I did mine, It shouldnt be anything to worry about. The only problem was that it took a long time, 3 weeks to get HD financing to send the title.
They didnt send me the title, but released the title to the original owner, then we had to go get the title transfered. I didnt know the guy at all but he lived near me. It really started concerning me when it started taking so long.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:21 PM
RFFG
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I purschased my old nightster this way. I paid cash, took the bike home with a bill of sale signed by myself, the seller and a witness. I also kept a copy of the seller's driver's license. In about 3 weeks I received the title. I believe worse case scenario the bill of sale will cover you in court in case things go sour.

If you have a bad gut feeling then don't do it.

Old 11-03-2014, 02:23 PM
Rhino-1
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You know he's not lying about buying it/financing it, so it's safe to that point. Get everything in writing, including the Bill of Sale, and you will be fine.

Oh, and write the payoff check directly to hd (or the finance company).

I've bought two cars and one motorcycle this way...

Old 11-03-2014, 02:52 PM
t3nax
Novice

oook thanks guys

i hope they'll be quick in clearing the check and transfering title

but you think they will automatically do the title

Old 11-03-2014, 04:11 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,179 Likes on 11,109 Posts

Both you and the seller go in person to the lender who is financing the bike. You pay off the loan and pay the balance to the seller. Lender gives or sends title to you.

Old 11-03-2014, 04:43 PM
t3nax
Novice

lender has no locations or at least its not here in Miami area....we need to mail check/docs

Old 11-03-2014, 04:48 PM
shorelasHD
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,858 Likes on 1,270 Posts

Originally Posted by RFFG
I purschased my old nightster this way. I paid cash, took the bike home with a bill of sale signed by myself, the seller and a witness. I also kept a copy of the seller's driver's license. In about 3 weeks I received the title. I believe worse case scenario the bill of sale will cover you in court in case things go sour.

If you have a bad gut feeling then don't do it.
Yes, this would be the way to do it. Too bad the STealer wanted a ridiculous amount of money to broker the deal, they could have pocketed a much more reasonable $100-250 fee for nothing more than a phone call... I would look elsewhere for someone for service or future purchases, and make sure they know it...

Old 11-03-2014, 05:09 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I bought my current bike like this with the dealer doing the financing and had no problems. I paid the money to the dealer who paid off the customers loan and got the title when I paid off the bike which was a month later. No problems at all for me. I was worried about it as well but it all worked out fine.

I have never financed a vehicle in my life so the whole thing really seemed complicated as opposed to paying cash like I usually do.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:31 PM
jcgribks
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a 2001 Sportster 1200C from a private person and he had a loan on it. I paid him in cash and got a bill of sale and the bike. He went to the bank the next day and paid it off and I went back to his house the next day after that and got the title with the lien signed off. I would think that as long as you got possession of the bike and make the check out to the bank for the pay off amount you'd be fine.

Quick Reply: Buying from a private who has a loan: ADVICES