General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doc's Performance Tuning... Beware

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2014, 09:20 PM
ntraindavefl
Road Warrior
Received 333 Likes on 234 Posts
Default Doc's Performance Tuning... Beware

So I just had a bike delivered to Doc's after a cam install to be tuned as I read lots of good feedback on his work. I'm posting my experience because I want people to know what Doc "the beaver" Weaver is really like when things don't go his way. I am well aware many have great experiences and tunes from Doc so those fans of his just keep in mind that under the circumstances I will outline the guy has a whole other unpleasant side.

My wife took off work to drive me the 2.5 hours to meet Doc and the bike I had delivered for the first time. The bike dealer was closer to Doc so I had it go straight there with a new cam install. I have wrenched my own cams on my other rides but logistically and lazily I opted to pony up for the install and delivery to Doc, was faster and less bike trailer time and hassle.

I should have known from the initial phone conversation when he called SEST "junk" that Doc was too unstable a personality to work with. Anyway, within 10 minutes of arriving he came back from the dyno room saying the brake drum motor was burnt out and he accidently left the dyno on overnight. So after fussing with it for a few minutes he said there was no tuning possible today and needed to replace a part. Frustrating for both of us of course but I was calm and cool about it seeing it's an unfortunate thing without blame to anyone. Doc was visibly bothered which was understandable. He then asked me if I rather come back next week again to pick it up or just take the bike now. Not loving the long drive to do this over again I opted to take the bike . Well he lost his marbles calling me stupid for riding a bike out of tune claiming I'll burn up the motor. I didn't bother arguing that point knowing the existing tune would be ok going down the road under 4k rpm, and my tuner later confirmed that, after a few baseline runs showing only a slight leanness since the bike had been tuned for the pipe and ac by previous owner and the cam was mild.

So Doc had a fist pound on the desk verbal insult at me little tantrum and proceeded to toss my bike off his dyno and outside his garage like he was tossing out the trash. And never one apology for our time driving there or an offer or discount for our troubles. My wife was stunned saying that's the worst service she had ever seen, I said ya but really it's a guy with no respect, huge ego and someone who hates seeing $909.00 walk out his door. Doc sped off and I could only shake my head and ride home.

I should also mention that earlier before the dyno crap out Doc was insulting other known tuners on the forums and had special love for Strokerjlk, calling him the biggest idiot for his "friends don't let friends ride in closed loop" famous quote and went on about how Strokerjlk put a "hit" on Steve Cole and was going to beat him up or some type of wacky rumor like that. Nonetheless this guy was as oddball as they come, not sure if it was a napoleon syndrome or a weight insecurity thing but this guy was all over the place in an unprofessional way.

I know there are those with great results With Doc and TTS, I run TTS in 2 of my bikes and I know his credentials but for me I judge a business by how it handles the imperfect situations. That's the true character of a business person and Doc failed me with flying colors. IMO

The following users liked this post:
94 ultra (04-15-2017)
Old 11-04-2014, 10:03 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Old 11-04-2014, 10:05 PM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

So he screws up his machine, gives you the option of taking the bike home, then throws a fit about it when you take one of the options that he gave you?? That's bad enough, but to verbally abuse others in the industry is intolerable. You may not agree with your competition and their methods, but you don't interject such insults about them to customers.

Sounds like the guy needs a long vacation.

Old 11-05-2014, 06:44 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

Ok, I am kinda new, but who is doc and he seems to be a tuner?

Old 11-05-2014, 07:20 AM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 440 Likes on 246 Posts
Default Honest reviews

I find that there is always two sides of any story. The side that comes from HDF members is always the person who is 100% correct and never did anything. I do not have any dog in the fight but what the OP is printing, seams very illogical. I do not care one way or another as I would never use him anyhow but that is just me. Upset about his Dyno not being available for the customer and upset that his customer drove that distance for nothing, I would believe that. I doubt the part that this guy cursed out his customer because of a mistake the shop owner made on his own equipment.

Old 11-05-2014, 08:31 AM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Actually, there's three sides of a story, his side, the other guy's side and the truth...

Old 11-05-2014, 08:43 AM
lgenf
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a doc tuned TTS bike, love it, loved the service, DOC was always pleasant to deal with

guess you caught him on a bad day, but it still does not change your experience and situation, but BEWARE in the title is a little misleading

beware of what, they guy had a bad day and you seemed to catch part of it?

the guy is an ace and I am betting peeps like that, like **** to go the way they plan it every time, and when it doesn't and its their own fault, they don't deal with it well

I honestly can read your account and think you did nothing wrong, and the situation shouldn't have happened, but if you've got a bike in FL and want it tuned right, he's the guy, there also may be others, but I've never heard of someone getting a bike done at DOC's and not being happy with the performance

Old 11-05-2014, 08:45 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,779 Likes on 18,557 Posts

"I should have known from the initial phone conversation when he called SEST "junk" that Doc was too unstable a personality to work with" ... Don't know dick about Doc but you ignored your "gut" feeling ...

Old 11-05-2014, 09:17 AM
RHPAW
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 13,749 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Thanx for posting this. I only spent about $20, just set the points, replaced the condensor in my Shovel, and was really feeling like a dinosaur. Not now.

Old 11-05-2014, 10:04 AM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spoke with Doc last year on the phone and he came across as being helpful, by giving me other tuners contact #'s that he had trained, since i'm to far away to use him.
OP: Not saying that you aren't telling the hole story at all, since something like that has happened to me too at some other establishment. Everybody has a bad day every now and then, and sometimes people have a right down terrible day. Keeping that in mind, you may (or may not) try him again and see if it'll work out the way it should. Heck...he may be on meds and ran out that day.....

Last edited by Pete6114; 11-05-2014 at 10:15 AM. Reason: at some other establishment

Quick Reply: Doc's Performance Tuning... Beware