General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Freewheeler rear brake anomaly

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:10 PM
EDNHDF150
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freewheeler rear brake anomaly

On my new Freewheeler (vivid black) when applying the rear brakes I get the "ol bobben for apples" syndrome. It acted ( and felt) like I had a warped rotor. So, back to the dealer. They removed the rear wheels, and said they sandblasted the rotors and brake pads (and said "no warped rotor"). It seemed like it helped for a short ride up the river road ... after that ... right back to the bobben for apples stuff.
It doesn't happen if I use just the front brake. Is it possibly related to the proportioning vale for the new integrated braking system?
Any ideas whould be appreciated. Not only is it embarrassing ... it feels unsafe.
Thanks in advance.
DUH (aka .. EDNHDF150)
"The baits not the trap" .. ride safe .. be safe

Old 11-06-2014, 05:44 PM
Halojumper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,344 Likes on 844 Posts

Or perhaps the ABS?

Old 11-07-2014, 04:03 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Halojumper
Or perhaps the ABS?
Trikes don't come equipped with ABS.

Old 11-07-2014, 04:40 AM
bronxbill
Road Warrior

Received 453 Likes on 280 Posts

You might want to post this in the trike section of the forum. You will probably get more responses there; there are several Freewheeler owners there

Old 11-08-2014, 08:36 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

Originally Posted by EDNHDF150
On my new Freewheeler (vivid black) when applying the rear brakes I get the "ol bobben for apples" syndrome. It acted ( and felt) like I had a warped rotor. So, back to the dealer. They removed the rear wheels, and said they sandblasted the rotors and brake pads (and said "no warped rotor"). It seemed like it helped for a short ride up the river road ... after that ... right back to the bobben for apples stuff.
It doesn't happen if I use just the front brake. Is it possibly related to the proportioning vale for the new integrated braking system?
Any ideas whould be appreciated. Not only is it embarrassing ... it feels unsafe.
Thanks in advance.
DUH (aka .. EDNHDF150)
my first thought was that maybe the front rotor was warped and you were feeling that with the integrated brakes, but when you said that it didn't happen when you applied just the front brakes that squashed that.

i would lift it up and put a dial indicator on it and check all three rotors for runout, and then take it back to the dealer for warranty.

good luck

Old 11-08-2014, 10:07 AM
DannyZ71
Extreme HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

When I got my 2011 Road King, I would sometimes get a rough vibration when two up and using just the rear brake (which I sometimes did until the wife got used to sitting still while I was trying to stop). I wonder, with all the weight on the rear end of the Freewheeler, if that is what you're experiencing also?

I think that's the way it was happening, it's been a couple of years now since experiencing that. And, I never bothered to have it looked at as it didn't do it when riding solo or when using mostly front brake to slow down to a stop.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:43 PM
jcmana52
Stage I
Default Freewheeler rear brake anomaly

Purchased my 2015 FW in Feb have same issue. Dealer looked at rear brakes and said they were within specs. But your comment about a proportioning valve makes sense. Thought the prob could be air in brake lines. Comments? Post results pls.

Note added: The "ol bobben for apples" syndrome posted by EDNHDF150 appears primarily when I only use the rear brake when slowing down from 10-30 mph to a dead stop. Does not happen when front brake is applied at those speeds.

Last edited by jcmana52; 07-23-2015 at 07:42 AM. Reason: adding addl info on braking issue
Old 07-01-2015, 02:01 PM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,481 Likes on 1,540 Posts

Originally Posted by EDNHDF150
Thanks in advance.
DUH (aka .. EDNHDF150)
is TED'S working on your bike? i've had mixed results with some of their work and know a few people who will not return to that dealership. they dropped the ball installing wheel bearings under warrenty on my new bike. good luck and let us know how this turns out.

Old 07-25-2015, 09:23 AM
captainunderpants
Stage I

Originally Posted by jcmana52
Purchased my 2015 FW in Feb have same issue. Dealer looked at rear brakes and said they were within specs. But your comment about a proportioning valve makes sense. Thought the prob could be air in brake lines. Comments? Post results pls.

Note added: The "ol bobben for apples" syndrome posted by EDNHDF150 appears primarily when I only use the rear brake when slowing down from 10-30 mph to a dead stop. Does not happen when front brake is applied at those speeds.

Yea it's even happening on my 2016 FLRTSE2. So when you find a resolution I would like to have my dealer here try it as well. My girlfriend is getting tired of her neck hurting after all our rides. She said if I didn't get it fixed she wasn't riding anymore.