General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler and dipstick Oil levels

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2014, 04:36 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil cooler and dipstick Oil levels

Stupid question...

I had an oil cooler installed just before summer. We all know theres some residual left when you change the oil on bike w/out a cooler. Is there any more left in a bike with an oil cooler? And does it change anything when you check your oil levels on dipstick? Will it for some reason show lower on stick?

Reason for asking is since the install it seems as though I never can get the oil full enough. Like I pour it in and it disappears, its not of course. All I can figure is that the dealer never replaced the oil back to full.

Last edited by Knuckles73; 11-10-2014 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 05:36 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

back away from bike slowly........
do not attempt to start it .
If you added a cooler, then the cooler oil will not stick to the dipstick.

Yes , this qualifies as a stupid question..

just kidding , the cooler, has zero effect on the oil level.
fill it up ,bike level engine warm .

Old 11-10-2014, 07:20 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I installed a Jaggs Oil Cooler on my bike over the summer - had to add about 8oz of oil to the engine to get it back to full.
My oil cooler is thermostatically controlled so it only allows the flow of oil thru it when the oil temp gets up around 180*
When you change your oil, most likely the oil in your cooler will not drain when you pull the drain plug - thus you should only have to replace the same amount as called for in the owners manual (in my case 2 quarts)
When you fire the bike up and bring it up to temp, the oil in your cooler will mix with the new oil - it's so minor that it's not a big deal.
If you have to keep adding more oil - you may want to start looking as to where it's going - but as the OP said, the cooler has zero effect - unless of course it has a leak...

Last edited by JMC22; 11-10-2014 at 07:29 PM.
Old 11-10-2014, 09:53 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

guess thats what I get for askin.

I think trusting that the tech actually did his job and put correct amount of oil back in was the wrong direction to go. I can't find it leaking anywhere.

Old 11-10-2014, 10:51 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

I've always had to add some oil when I get my bike serviced...not a lot but some. But I have a "mark" on the back, inside of my oil tank, that I go by when a I add it. It's never blown oil out of the AC either.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-11-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-11-2014, 04:57 AM
Def Mute
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

When an oil cooler is installed, it is full of air...

Depending on the orientation of the cooler, and oil lines, I wouldn't think it impossible that some air can get trapped if the installer doesn't take extra measures to completely purge the system of air. Over time, the system heats up, and cools. Could that help remove any air that didn't purge when first installed? That, IMHO, could lead to seemingly small loss of oil as the system fills the air voids with oil...

The addition of the cooler, and oil lines, does add to the amount of old oil which remains in the system to be mixed with the new. There is an aftermarket kit (I forget the brand/builder name), that pulls more of the residual oil from the passages. Even still, there will always remain some amount of old oil that gets mixed with the new.

Remember also, unless you have modified the crankcase ventilation system, some oil mist gets pumped through the intake. And, let's not forget that some oil also gets burned in the combustion chamber...

Last edited by Def Mute; 11-11-2014 at 05:06 AM.
Old 11-11-2014, 06:20 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Knuckles73
Stupid question...

I had an oil cooler installed just before summer. We all know theres some residual left when you change the oil on bike w/out a cooler. Is there any more left in a bike with an oil cooler? And does it change anything when you check your oil levels on dipstick? Will it for some reason show lower on stick?

Reason for asking is since the install it seems as though I never can get the oil full enough. Like I pour it in and it disappears, its not of course. All I can figure is that the dealer never replaced the oil back to full.
If you have to keep adding oil,you have a problem elsewhere.

Old 11-11-2014, 03:52 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Every Harley I own has two marks on it. They expect you to get the oil level in between the marks. I usually aim for halfway. That leaves room for expansion since I added the oil at room temp during the change. Usually don't have to add more between oil changes. Don't over think this. If your bike doesn't have oil on it where it is not supposed to be. You don't have a puddle underneath it when it is parked. Life is good.

Old 11-11-2014, 05:33 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

The oil cooler will hold a little bit of oil but not enough to notice really... at least mine did.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:10 PM
Knuckles73
Tourer

This one is probably on me.... I just passed 5K since doing the oil cooler back in late June. Instead of checking oil levels after picking it up from shop, I just assumed (I know what that does) that the tech refilled it correctly. I'm finding zero evidence of a leak anywhere. I really think it never got refilled to proper level.

I know how to check oil levels. I just wondered if any significant amount stayed in the cooler or extra lines that would cause lower reading on dipstick. Tomorrow its off to get enough oil to do a change anyways so at least I'll know its right this time.

Quick Reply: Oil cooler and dipstick Oil levels