General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone use s100 engine brightener on a Harley?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 05:11 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Anyone use s100 engine brightener on a Harley?

ON A HARLEY, anyone use the s100 engine brightener?

The directions state to spray on the engine and wipe off....
BUT.... on the Harley engines, the black portions (I have a 14 Street Glide) are rough so wiping the engine brightener off with a rag will just leave lots of lint etc.

What is everyone's experience with the s100 engine brightener on a Harley engine?

Old 11-13-2014, 05:19 PM
swifty
Tourer
Received 88 Likes on 40 Posts

I use S100 bike cleaner on my old bike and I did not leave it on very long.. But some time after I noticed my handle bars had brownish faded marks on them.. I never used that stuff again!!!! Now the s100 wax is very good stuff so is the polish. But that's all I trust at this point!!! I would ask this question In the Detailing section, you get a better response there!!!!swifty

Old 11-13-2014, 05:19 PM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,479 Likes on 2,478 Posts

I have been using it for about 13 years, and it works GREAT! A little goes a long way, as I bought my 2nd can in 13 years this summer. Spray it on, but only wipe it off the chrome & other metal parts, NOT the engine wrinkle black. Only use it on a cold, clean engine.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:23 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by dickey
I have been using it for about 13 years, and it works GREAT! A little goes a long way, as I bought my 2nd can in 13 years this summer. Spray it on, but only wipe it off the chrome & other metal parts, NOT the engine wrinkle black. Only use it on a cold, clean engine.
Thanks for the response. I need some clarification... Do you just leave it on the engine wrinkle black? It would be nearly impossible to only apply it to the chrome portions of the engine. Maybe I am not sure of how to apply it correctly, but I was under the assumption that it is just sprayed on. However, looking at the applicator that comes with the bottle, it looks like it has a wide spray pattern.

My goal is to get the black back to looking black. It is more greyish now.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-13-2014 at 05:30 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:27 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used it with success for many years also. Some say it turns brown but i have not had any problems. I spray it on a few minutes before I wash the bike and let it soak. Then wash the bike normally.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:29 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by Markallamerican
I have used it with success for many years also. Some say it turns brown but i have not had any problems. I spray it on a few minutes before I wash the bike and let it soak. Then wash the bike normally.

Ok, so basically you rinse it off during the wash. Does this help the black portions stay looking black? (not grayish black) By the way, what part of AZ you in? I am in Tucson, soon to be moving to PineTop.

Last edited by BKSinAZ; 11-13-2014 at 05:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2014, 05:42 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Wet the cool motor with a hose. Spray simpel green or your choice of cleaner on it and let it sit for a minute or two. Hose off thoroughly and blow dry. Then hit it with the S100. Let it soak in for a bit and wipe the excess off the chrome. That is how i do it.

This will leave the looking brand new assuming you clean off all the chrome covers when you re finished with the S100. I prefer Pig Spit as the can is bigger and costs about the same but it is all the same stuff. I tried the Harley stuff and hated it although it is supposedly the same.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:44 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

I forgot a step. Use a paint brush to get to all the surfaces of the cylinders with fins and such while the simple green or cleaner of your choice is on the bike. Then rinse. If you run an open a/c cover with a plastic bag.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:46 PM
BKSinAZ
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hogpro
Wet the cool motor with a hose. Spray simpel green or your choice of cleaner on it and let it sit for a minute or two. Hose off thoroughly and blow dry. Then hit it with the S100. Let it soak in for a bit and wipe the excess off the chrome. That is how i do it.

This will leave the looking brand new assuming you clean off all the chrome covers when you re finished with the S100. I prefer Pig Spit as the can is bigger and costs about the same but it is all the same stuff. I tried the Harley stuff and hated it although it is supposedly the same.
I got the part about wiping the s100 off the chrome.... what I need to know is how to get it off the black (rough portion) of engine.

Old 11-13-2014, 05:52 PM
Markallamerican
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BKSinAZ
Ok, so basically you rinse it off during the wash. Does this help the black portions stay looking black? (not grayish black) By the way, what part of AZ you in? I am in Tucson, soon to be moving to PineTop.
yes and yes, Flagstaff, pm me if youd like

Quick Reply: Anyone use s100 engine brightener on a Harley?