General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

gas smell in garage

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 11:04 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default gas smell in garage

I'm keeping my bike in garage and the gas smell is not bad but to make it even better would a empty tank or a full tank be better? I thought maybe a empty take would give off more fumes then a full tank not sure....there's no way to get it all the way empty. ..garage is heated too..I'm not going to be using the bike till april

Old 11-15-2014, 11:07 AM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

You should not smell any gas in the garage unless there is a leak.

Always store bike with full tank, it will keep the tank insides from rusting.

Old 11-15-2014, 11:33 AM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,139 Likes on 11,100 Posts

Agree with Dan, condensation will rust an empty tank on a stored bike. Keep it full with a shot of STA-BIL. What else in the garage contains gas? Car, mower, snow blower, gas can?

Old 11-15-2014, 11:38 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

I'm not a fan of heated garages. The constant heating, cooling and drying cycles will take their toll on motor vehicles. Back in the old days when cars rusted out within five years, a car that was parked in a heated garage every night would rust out in three. Garages also need constant ventilation, which most heated garages don't have. The gas fumes probably result from your vehicles' gas tanks venting as they warm-up in the heated garage. This "breathing" can also cause condensation in motorcycle engines and transmissions while they are stored. During winter,I'd rather store a bike an unheated shed with a battery tender, or in the house with the gas tank drained.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,235 Likes on 8,376 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME
I'm not a fan of heated garages. The constant heating, cooling and drying cycles will take their toll on motor vehicles. Back in the old days when cars rusted out within five years, a car that was parked in a heated garage every night would rust out in three. Garages also need constant ventilation, which most heated garages don't have. The gas fumes probably result from your vehicles' gas tanks venting as they warm-up in the heated garage. This "breathing" can also cause condensation in motorcycle engines and transmissions while they are stored. During winter,I'd rather store a bike an unheated shed with a battery tender, or in the house with the gas tank drained.
, And a very knowledgeable statement.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:38 PM
Dan89FLSTC
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,495 Likes on 4,612 Posts

Cars rusted out because they were parked while still covered with road salt. If the car has not been cleaned it is better to leave a car out in the cold because corrosion occurs much slower in extreme cold.

I`m a big fan of heated garages, but my cars stay out in the driveway.

My bikes are doing just fine in my heated garage. Just throw an old blanket or furniture pad over them and there will be no rust.

A heated garage will preserve your sanity...

There is a big difference in the type of heaters used in garages, a torpedo type propane heater will put a ton of moisture into the air as it heats, this type of heater is not a good choice for a workshop.

I have a ceiling mounted propane heater (Modine Hot Dawg), the exhaust is vented outside, so no moisture is added to the air in the garage.

Last edited by Dan89FLSTC; 11-15-2014 at 12:48 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

Full tank and don't try to light your farts in the garage...

Old 11-15-2014, 01:24 PM
AZRider62
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RK4ME

Good to know, thanks.

Old 11-15-2014, 10:05 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Run like hell! LOL

Old 11-15-2014, 10:23 PM
speeddaddy
Tourer
Received 495 Likes on 153 Posts

Real Harley rider's living rooms smell like gas! And oil....

Quick Reply: gas smell in garage