General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Battery Tender Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 12:35 PM
GaryM12
Road Warrior

Received 1,706 Likes on 510 Posts
Default Battery Tender Question

So its that time of year and I put the bike on the tender today after winterizing it. When I plugged in the tender it went green for a couple of seconds then to flashing yellow and it stayed there. Flashing yellow means that the tender is not charging the battery. I took the tender and attached it to other batteries to see if the problem is with the pigtail connector to my bike or if the problem is with the tender.
The tender flashed yellow for all the batteries that I tried it on. So my best guess is that the tender is not functioning. Whats the concensus from people out there, am I right?

Old 11-15-2014, 01:04 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,182 Likes on 11,111 Posts

Battery Tender troubleshooting does not show a yellow flashing light.
https://www.batterystuff.com/files/t...ng_bt_plus.pdf

Old 11-15-2014, 01:11 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

What brand of charger do you have? I have two of the Deltran Battery Tender Juniors and both have red and green lights. No yellow. Flashing red indicates improper connection, flashing green indicates battery greater than 80% charged. If it is a different brand you may be able to find an owners manual on line.

Dan

Old 11-15-2014, 01:14 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My tender has a red, yellow and green light and yellow means that it is charging but the battery is not full yet.
After a while (few hours sometimes) it goes to green and over to it's maintain stage.
This is the one that comes with the Carcoon bike bubble.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:17 PM
AZRider62
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If your book says flashing yellow means not charging and you tried it on other batteries with the same outcome I'd say it's a bad charger.

Like a lot here I've got the Deltran BTJ... works like a champ for only 25 bucks.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:26 PM
austinslider
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine flashes red when it's not charging. It's solid red when the charger is working properly. It's solid green when the battery is good.

Old 11-15-2014, 01:36 PM
GaryM12
Road Warrior

The one thats not working is the "Super Smart" Battery tender from the MoCo. Even has the HD crest on it. Yellow and green lights only flashing yellow indicates not charging, yellow indicates charging, flashing green indicates battery at 80% and full green indicates that its tending the charge.
I'm leaning towards it being a bad tender as I even touched the clips together and didnt get so much as a spark out of them.......Two years old this unit is. Hard to find good products sometimes......
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts

Old 11-15-2014, 02:54 PM
Krustee
Road Captain
Received 78 Likes on 54 Posts

Does Your charger have a built in fuse? Either internal or in line.

Dan

Old 11-15-2014, 03:07 PM
bdtaylor1979
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 228 Likes on 186 Posts

Originally Posted by GaryM12
The one thats not working is the "Super Smart" Battery tender from the MoCo. Even has the HD crest on it. Yellow and green lights only flashing yellow indicates not charging, yellow indicates charging, flashing green indicates battery at 80% and full green indicates that its tending the charge.
I'm leaning towards it being a bad tender as I even touched the clips together and didnt get so much as a spark out of them.......Two years old this unit is. Hard to find good products sometimes......
Thanks to everyone for their thoughts
I've had the battery tender jr for 3-4 years and haven't had any problems with it yet.

Old 11-15-2014, 03:37 PM
GaryM12
Road Warrior

So under the heading of "do your frigging homework first". I took the seat off the bike and found that the pigtail has a fuse in it that was burnt. This was after I ran out and bought another tender
One 7.5a fuse later and it all works great........

Quick Reply: Battery Tender Question