General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What kind of spark plug wire?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:35 AM
enginesludge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What kind of spark plug wire?

I was not satisfied with how close the SE plug wires were cut for my '87 sportster. I would like to make my own. One wire was arcing out where it lay on the head. The HD dealer did not stock any kits, just precut SE wires.

This maybe a stupid question, but : Is there a spec on the plug wires? The guy at HD parts counter did not know! I saw at least two options at CAP auto. Those were more tradition 7000-8000 ohm per foot fiber core wire and some hi perf 500 ohm per foot (reactive core).

Not trying to cheep out or get some new and improved that causes early ignition failure, either. I never expected to see a dozen different wire types all lined on the shelf.

I have H-D from '87 to 05. Are those all the same for plug wires?

Old 11-16-2014, 06:17 AM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts
Old 11-16-2014, 08:07 AM
backplay
Road Master
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by enginesludge
I was not satisfied with how close the SE plug wires were cut for my '87 sportster. I would like to make my own. One wire was arcing out where it lay on the head. The HD dealer did not stock any kits, just precut SE wires.

This maybe a stupid question, but : Is there a spec on the plug wires? The guy at HD parts counter did not know! I saw at least two options at CAP auto. Those were more tradition 7000-8000 ohm per foot fiber core wire and some hi perf 500 ohm per foot (reactive core).

Not trying to cheep out or get some new and improved that causes early ignition failure, either. I never expected to see a dozen different wire types all lined on the shelf.

I have H-D from '87 to 05. Are those all the same for plug wires?
I installed the 10mm Screamin Eagle wires on my 04 1200C Sportster and if I remember correctly, the pre-made wires were pretty much year specific. A quick check under screamin eagle showed 04 to 06 to use same wire. You'll have to closely check your year..

Old 11-16-2014, 08:16 AM
enginesludge
Advanced

Thanks Bone.

I might have missed something. At that web site, I plug in my bike info and got a list of products to buy. The specs were limited. It says quote:

"High voltage, high temperature 8MM silicone ignition wire with an OE style high-performance suppression conductor core for guaranteed compatibility with all H-D ignition systems".

What is this? More SE black magic marketing?

Plug wires? Is this another big deal, secret formula?

Old 11-16-2014, 08:18 AM
enginesludge
Advanced

Originally Posted by backplay
I installed the 10mm Screamin Eagle wires on my 04 1200C Sportster and if I remember correctly, the pre-made wires were pretty much year specific. A quick check under screamin eagle showed 04 to 06 to use same wire. You'll have to closely check your year..
Damn, not what I hope to hear. But thank you.

I did really like the feel of that 10mm wire. It seemed like much easier to run a loop that would keep off the heads and stay put. I though harey had some generic kits for this 10mm wire. The problem was this dealer did not keep that in stock. I assume a quick stop at CAP and I be all set. Every single thing I touch turns into a big problem or a lot of money or both. Maybe I call another dealer. I just want this done. I got bigger issues to work out.

Great, closed on Sundays.

Last edited by enginesludge; 11-16-2014 at 08:44 AM. Reason: 10mm comment
Old 11-16-2014, 08:55 AM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

Keep in mind if you have a newer Harley that uses ion sensing for the knock detection in the fuel injection system it may not work properly with aftermarket wires.. do some searches on that if you think that might be important to you.

The following users liked this post:
edson443 (05-31-2017)
Old 11-16-2014, 09:25 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,183 Likes on 2,453 Posts

note the very first sentence:
I was not satisfied with how close the SE plug wires were cut for my '87 sportster.
i think he'll be okay.

for my 2002, i bought a set from uskoolines. the bike is still running, and still running those lines.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by Bone Doc
Thanks Bone.

I might have missed something. At that web site, I plug in my bike info and got a list of products to buy. The specs were limited. It says quote:

"High voltage, high temperature 8MM silicone ignition wire with an OE style high-performance suppression conductor core for guaranteed compatibility with all H-D ignition systems".

Damn, not what I hope to hear. But thank you.

I did really like the feel of that 10mm wire. It seemed like much easier to run a loop that would keep off the heads and stay put. I though harey had some generic kits for this 10mm wire. The problem was this dealer did not keep that in stock. I assume a quick stop at CAP and I be all set. Every single thing I touch turns into a big problem or a lot of money or both. Maybe I call another dealer. I just want this done. I got bigger issues to work out.

Great, closed on Sundays.
Originally Posted by skratch
... for my 2002, i bought a set from uskoolines. the bike is still running, and still running those lines.
OP,

Not really sure what you are after? What specs are you wanting to know? The resistance per foot of wire? Really? Also, what is there to "feel"? If both cylinders are firing, the plug wires are doing their job. Seems like you are after some "secret formula". They're plug wires. What are you wanting? What coil and plugs are you using?

I'm using a set of plug wires from USKoolines. Like skratch, I have had no problems with them. I received them in a few days and installed them in less than a minute. Done. They are $40 for a set of high-performance wires and, as you noted, they are "guaranteed compatibility with all H-D ignition systems". How much money do you expect to save by making them yourself? $5? $10? Is that minimal savings worth the trouble to find the parts and fabricate them yourself?

You stated, "Every single thing I touch turns into a big problem or a lot of money or both". Why not just buy a set of plug wires and call it a day.

Just curious. Nothing more.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:48 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,900 Likes on 17,471 Posts

Thanks Bone.

You can make your own wires for an 87 with the universal kits from either Taylor or Sumax just get the suppression wires not the copper core and you'll be fine . You will have to pick up a decent set of wire crimpers with the cutout for the plug wire ends. They didn't start getting stupid with dedicated wires till the twinkies.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:59 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

My understanding is that to date the XL motors do not have the anti knock feature that the TC's have. But I am no expert.

So the resistor plugs and wires are not essential.

Quick Reply: What kind of spark plug wire?