General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A good heater for the garage

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:51 AM
Mr. Neptune
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default A good heater for the garage

Like most riders here I plan on working on my bike this winter in my garage. I am looking for suggestions. Propane? Kerosene? Multi-fuel? Here is one I have been looking at.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-...8?N=5yc1vZc4k7

I have a 3 car garage so I don't need anything to industrial just looking for something reliable. Also wondering about venting. I need one that is safe for enclosed areas.

As you can tell I have never purchased a heater so be gentle with me.....lol

Old 11-17-2014, 11:07 AM
knewt5
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/det...gle-PLA+-+Test

I think these are as safe as it gets...no exposed elements, some of this type have timers.

Last edited by knewt5; 11-17-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Chicago Bob
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't do kerosene. Smells awful

Old 11-17-2014, 11:22 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

32 degrees right now in my unheated 2 car garage. One of these would be nice right now as I need to service 2 bikes.
Back when I lived in Indiana where it really gets cold, I tried augmenting the heat in a three car heated garage with a large electric space heater. That was a joke.
For me I think I would go for a propane unit as I just cant stand the smell of diesel or kerosene fuels. The propane will probably cost more to use but a lot easier to deal with. At $99, I might head over to Home Cheapo today.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:25 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Get an electrician to put in a 220v plug in your garage and buy a construction heater like this. Messing around with gas, kerosene, etc. is hazardous and a pain.
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA...URbPb/$_12.JPG[/img]

Old 11-17-2014, 11:31 AM
RistoRap
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

I Know it's a lot more spendy, but you really should have something like this, especially if it will be permanent. The unit in your link vents directly to the space - you breath it in..... You at least want something that is vented to outdoors.

Also, around here (Wisconsin) a good rule of thumb is about 30 btu/sq ft needed to heat the space- assuming average insulation.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 11-19-2014 at 07:30 PM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadghost
Get an electrician to put in a 220v plug in your garage and buy a construction heater like this. Messing around with gas, kerosene, etc. is hazardous and a pain.
[img]http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NTAwWDUwMA...URbPb/$_12.JPG[/img]

That would sure be a more permanent solution but at what cost? An electrician would hit me for probably $400 or more to run the line, plus the cost of the heater. In an uninsulated garage this puppy would be akin to leaving the doors and windows open in my house and watching the electric meter spin off the wall.

Old 11-17-2014, 11:36 AM
Mr. Neptune
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Are Propane heaters safe for enclosed area use? I noticed on the oil filled it only shows a minimum heat output. Do they generally heat pretty well?

Old 11-17-2014, 11:39 AM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Neptune
Like most riders here I plan on working on my bike this winter in my garage. I am looking for suggestions. Propane? Kerosene? Multi-fuel? Here is one I have been looking at.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo-...8?N=5yc1vZc4k7

I have a 3 car garage so I don't need anything to industrial just looking for something reliable. Also wondering about venting. I need one that is safe for enclosed areas.

As you can tell I have never purchased a heater so be gentle with me.....lol
Actually, I do my planned maintenance in the spring, summer or fall so I don't have to heat a work space, anymore. If I did, I'd fire up the woodstove in my garage or install a furnace, something that vents outside of the garage. When you vent a petroleum fired heater into the garage, you'll probably end up with condensation unless you really provide lots of ventilation. If you use a kerosene heater, you can buy fuel additive that will eliminate most of the odor, and be sure to light and extinguish the heater outdoors because that's when they stink. That type of Dyna-Glo heater should work OK but will probably be noisy, and you'll need to leave the garage door open at least 6". If I used an electric heater, it would be a 220V unit.

Last edited by RK4ME; 11-17-2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old 11-17-2014, 11:44 AM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 625 Likes on 284 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
That would sure be a more permanent solution but at what cost? An electrician would hit me for probably $400 or more to run the line, plus the cost of the heater. In an uninsulated garage this puppy would be akin to leaving the doors and windows open in my house and watching the electric meter spin off the wall.

That depends on how you use it. If you want to permanently heat your garage you need a heating duct from your house blowing into it. But if you just go out there on the weekend during the days it's fine and you don't really notice much increase in your electric bill.

You can go electric or you can risk carbon monoxide poisoning with a heater that is not meant for enclosed spaces. I have used the 220v heater for years with no problems.

Quick Reply: A good heater for the garage