General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Give up the primary chain/belt?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts
Default Give up the primary chain/belt?

I was looking at this picture of a Ducati dual purpose and thinking what a fun looking bike (I love off road riding), be cool if there was a Harley like that... and realized why not. That separate transmission with a primary chain or belt just makes a Harley too long and heavy. Yes, there have been Sportsters modified into quasi trail bikes, but they're really long and heavy. This Ducati is 800 cc's (more powerful than an 883, too) and wet weight is supposed to be 410 lbs. Look at the engine closeup, and you can see a sporty powertrain would put the transmission where the swing arm and shock are on the Duc. I'd expect this to be a really nimble handling bike.

Makes me wonder if it would be an improvement if Harley just went to an integrated setup like nearly all the metrics are; think of the simplified maintenance just for replacing a belt or front pulley (if it just had a simple cover like most metrics) - and no more compensator issues. I'm not saying metrics are always easier to work on; some are a real pita just to get to the engine/transmission parts, but I don't think I'd complain about a lighter bike that would/should have smoother shifting and better mileage, too. Although we'd lose the fun conversations about what kind of oil in different holes...

Wondering if Harley owners in general would consider a direct geared integrated transmission/clutch a good idea, or something that would spoil Harley being what it is?

Old 11-20-2014, 06:12 PM
Rayvan
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Easy maintenance? LOL! Google "Ducati Valve adjustment" and you'll be laughing at your post, real quick.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 PM
Imold
another old guy

Integrated transmission, maybe, desmo valves, no thanks.
I like the Harley engine just the way it is. Well, EVOs anyway.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 11,106 Posts

I predict someone will do something like this with a Street.

Old 11-20-2014, 09:55 PM
Imold
another old guy

Originally Posted by upflying
I predict someone will do something like this with a Street.
I haven't paid any attention to those, never thought of them. Looking at some pics, looks like they do have an integrated engine/trans. The Harley Streets are still a lot heavier and a lot less power than the Ducati, but with enough money, they could probably be made into a credible dual purpose bike. Stiff competition, though, the Duc is only $1000 more, and way more bike, from a performance viewpoint.

The Street got me to wondering about the VRod (uncomfortable for me to just sit on, another Harley I haven't paid attention to), and sure enough, looks like another integrated engine/trans; looks like Harley is headed that direction with new engines. Lose the huge left primary cover though, and how will I be able to tell at a glance it's a Harley?

Old 11-21-2014, 04:24 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

Out of boredom, I was watching videos of other motorcycles and saw the following:

If you ignore the Harley bashing by the salesman, it is pretty interesting.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:29 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,220 Likes on 1,622 Posts

I do like the cleaner looks of Ducati's drivetrain...would be something to see HD dabble into with one of the lines.

Old 11-21-2014, 06:22 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Please leave our beloved Harleys alone the separate trans has always been a draw for me. Could not be more pleased that the changes are so slow. The after market will keep all our other options open.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 AM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's a nice bike but I don't have any interest in new, unit construction Harleys. I haven't seen a "street" on the street yet. It's a jap bike with Harley badges and no one is really interested in it.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:09 AM
AJSHOVEL
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,428 Likes on 4,130 Posts

Originally Posted by dog155
Please leave our beloved Harleys alone the separate trans has always been a draw for me. Could not be more pleased that the changes are so slow. The after market will keep all our other options open.
Couldn't agree more. If someone wants a Ducati...then buy a Ducati.

Quick Reply: Give up the primary chain/belt?