General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice, brake locked up, bike fell over.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 02:21 PM
ratat98
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice, brake locked up, bike fell over.

Hey all!
Thought I got the scooter fixed once and for all, but in typical Harley fashion, the gremlin showed itself again and this time it hurt a little... The first test ride, the front brakes were dragging a little, but not to the point of locking up, so I flushed everything, and cleaned it all, and rode it 30 more miles with no issues. Just took it on another spin after changing oil lines, and the front brake decided to randomly lock down hard as I was taking off through an intersection with some loose gravel, needless to say, I ended up on my side with some road rash, and a broken turn signal. Anyway, what would cause the brake to randomly lock down? I plan on taking the whole front system apart and cleaning it with a fine tooth comb.

Old 11-22-2014, 02:56 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,919 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Sounds like some air in the system heated up and expanded , only other thing would be the master cylinder had no free play and pumped them up.

Old 11-22-2014, 03:14 PM
ratat98
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was thinking it could be air too. After I got it back up, and was able to get it home, the brakes were normal again. Like I said, this thing will probably have a completely new front brake system before I ride it again. That hurt!

Old 11-22-2014, 04:15 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,185 Likes on 11,112 Posts

Corrosion inside the caliper will cause the piston to stick and prevent brake release.

Old 11-22-2014, 04:54 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
Corrosion inside the caliper will cause the piston to stick and prevent brake release.

Yeppers, pop the pistons out clean, lube ..
sticky caliper , heats up brake pads=they expand ,lock the front wheel.

know of a couple of fatalities caused by that .

Old 11-22-2014, 05:40 PM
RK4ME
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,211 Likes on 1,380 Posts

Originally Posted by ratat98
Hey all!
Thought I got the scooter fixed once and for all, but in typical Harley fashion, the gremlin showed itself again and this time it hurt a little... The first test ride, the front brakes were dragging a little, but not to the point of locking up, so I flushed everything, and cleaned it all, and rode it 30 more miles with no issues. Just took it on another spin after changing oil lines, and the front brake decided to randomly lock down hard as I was taking off through an intersection with some loose gravel, needless to say, I ended up on my side with some road rash, and a broken turn signal. Anyway, what would cause the brake to randomly lock down? I plan on taking the whole front system apart and cleaning it with a fine tooth comb.
Did you use a Harley Davidson service manual?

Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by ratat98
The first test ride, the front brakes were dragging a little, but not to the point of locking up,...., and the front brake decided to randomly lock down hard
A few years ago this question was asked in a letter to Cycle World Magazine. Kevin Cameron, the magazine's tech editor's, response was that a brake pad dragging on the rotor caused heat to build up.

That caused the fluid to expand, causing the brake pad to be pushed harder against the rotor, causing more heat, more expansion, more heat, etc.. Eventually the brake locks up.

He went on to suggest that this was caused because the little hole, in the master cylinder which allows to fluid to return to the master cylinder after using the brake, is plugged up and doesn't allow the fluid to return to the master cylinder.

Last edited by rjg883c; 11-22-2014 at 06:11 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

Several years ago I was headed to work at 70 mph when the bike started to slow down. I gave it more throttle but it kept slowing down. I realized it was the rear brake locking up. By the time I got it to the shoulder the brake rotor was glowing bright red and the caliper was locked solid. Called for a tow. By the time the truck got there the whole assembly had cooled and now the brake had released. I didn't want to take a chance so I put it on the truck. I figured that as hot as it had gotten I just replaced the rotor, caliper, brake fluid and brake line just to be sure everything was back to normal.
Haven't had a bit of trouble with it since.
The burned one is on the left. It didn't have that gold color before the caliper locked up.

Old 11-22-2014, 09:48 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Sometimes a tight grip on the brake lever will cause front brake to lock,not saying lol.JMO

Old 11-22-2014, 11:53 PM
GoofySB
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Old rubber brake hoses can deteriorate and collapse on the inside. This will trap fluid and hold the brake on. If yours are still OE, its definitely time for new ones.

Quick Reply: Need advice, brake locked up, bike fell over.