General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just have to rub it in

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 05:17 PM
rooti
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just have to rub it in

Just got back from a nice ride on a twisty road. No jacket, no gloves. Just a short sleeve shirt, pants and tennis shoes. 77 degrees out and that is the sweet spot where my bike runs at it's best.

I could never put my bike away for the season. I broke my all time record and went 3 weeks without riding. Sure felt good....

Old 11-23-2014, 05:41 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by rooti
Just got back from a nice ride on a twisty road. No jacket, no gloves. Just a short sleeve shirt, pants and tennis shoes. 77 degrees out and that is the sweet spot where my bike runs at it's best.

I could never put my bike away for the season. I broke my all time record and went 3 weeks without riding. Sure felt good....
I know the feeling! I have ridden every day since late-October and have yet to put on a jacket. I didn't ride for a couple months late this summer while on a 500 mile hike. So I am riding EVERY day. SJ Ron

Old 11-23-2014, 06:16 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

I just got back from skiing, took the dog for a walk and plan to read Chapter 2.69 of the service manual to the scoot tonight before bed....

Attached Thumbnails Just have to rub it in-img_1139.jpg  
Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

Okay I will rub it in also. Just did five rides during this past week of Polar Vortex weather in the teens and twenties. Was comfortable for each of the five rides totaling over 400 miles. Watched the last of the corn being picked and fields being prepped for next season. My typical winter averages 6,000 miles which I suspect equals or exceeds the typical sun belt riders full year total.

From my perspective being retired and having a passion for riding trumps all other reasons.

77 degrees is not the sweet spot for a HD air cooled engine. You have not experienced it unless you ride in the teens and twenties. That TC engine will feel liked it is supercharged on the dense cold oxygen. A TC88, 96, or 103 will feel more like a hopped up 110.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:26 PM
houserco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd feel your pain if I hadn't spent a a decade and a half in Minneapolis (prior to the past year). I rode until my fingers fell off (almost literally) but the power of winter is strong up there.

Being in DFW has brought a new thrill to winter for me. That said, for whatever reason 30 degrees feels awfully cold on the hands without heated gloves. Today, a beautiful 70 degrees until 2pm. Temp was the same but man, wind was out of control. Riding local streets was fine except for the usual crazies on 4 wheels.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:31 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

So true! The wind was a little strong but very tolerable. Today made up for yesterday's rain.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Good for you dude. I love riding but I love customizing my ride just as much and that is what I do over the winter along with all the super cool winter activinties. Winter can be grand if you know how to enjoy it. I love Michigan. A seriously awesome place to live so no hate here.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:57 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by lh4x4
Okay I will rub it in also. Just did five rides during this past week of Polar Vortex weather in the teens and twenties. Was comfortable for each of the five rides totaling over 400 miles. Watched the last of the corn being picked and fields being prepped for next season. My typical winter averages 6,000 miles which I suspect equals or exceeds the typical sun belt riders full year total.

From my perspective being retired and having a passion for riding trumps all other reasons.

77 degrees is not the sweet spot for a HD air cooled engine. You have not experienced it unless you ride in the teens and twenties. That TC engine will feel liked it is supercharged on the dense cold oxygen. A TC88, 96, or 103 will feel more like a hopped up 110.
x2 my 103 runs like a coked up cheetah at temps below 50!

Old 11-23-2014, 07:37 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I rode 158.4 miles today....you're right, perfect weather. I rode up to Bandera then over to Kerrville.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:16 PM
houserco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChickinOnaChain
So true! The wind was a little strong but very tolerable. Today made up for yesterday's rain.
A "little strong". Brother you've got bigger ones than me. Cruising normally at 70 mph has a little strong wind lash. Cruising at 100ph consistently (+30 mps headwind) is like dragging a skinny guy on top of a plane for me.

Quick Reply: Just have to rub it in