General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

North Texas riders... be safe - WIND

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:17 PM
houserco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default North Texas riders... be safe - WIND

Got up early and to my delight it stopped raining hard enough to ride early. I took notice to the "Wind Alert" but didn't give it much thought. Jumped on my Bob and blissfully rode in an effort to break in my new FXDB by end of day. That's where the happy story ends... well about 2pm

I've ridden bikes with some sort of fairing most of my life (25 years of riding) so I was not prepared for 30mph striaght-line winds on top of 60 + mph freeway rides. Holy crap was I hanging on for dear life, I all but thought about duct taping myself on to the seat. When I hit 820 the fun really began with semi's almost tipping over in front of me, people floating several lanes over across debris flying all over the road.

So - ladies, be safe out there tonight. Many of you are likely laughing at me right now (or shaking your head) and rightfully so... Either way, be safe and stay on the side roads. People are exceedingly retarded out there tonight and make it problematic enough as it is without being blown all over the place.

Old 11-23-2014, 06:34 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

No faring/windshield here, so the wind probably feels stronger for me...but only going into it. The temperature today made up for yesterday's rain and the wind was okay south of you.

Old 11-23-2014, 07:47 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

Wind didn't bother me much 40 years ago, but without a windshield today, pulling a headwind at 60+ doesn't take long to make my shoulders and lower back ache. Love riding a naked bike, too, it just doesn't like me sometimes. Real fierce crosswinds can be kinda fun, leaning way over like in twisties, but you're just motoring down a straight road. I've only ridden behind two fairing styles that I thought did a real good job coping with the wind, Vetter and the Harley shark nose frame mount.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:21 PM
houserco
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Imold
Wind didn't bother me much 40 years ago, but without a windshield today, pulling a headwind at 60+ doesn't take long to make my shoulders and lower back ache. Love riding a naked bike, too, it just doesn't like me sometimes. Real fierce crosswinds can be kinda fun, leaning way over like in twisties, but you're just motoring down a straight road. I've only ridden behind two fairing styles that I thought did a real good job coping with the wind, Vetter and the Harley shark nose frame mount.
Ditto on that. I'll have to take note of shark or a Glide (to add soon). Wind doesn't normally bother me but riding directly into a heavy headwind straight on sucked. Overall though, beautiful day though.

Old 11-24-2014, 04:10 AM
GrumpyBear
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may want to consider never moving out west. Do you know we call a day with 30MPH wind gusting 40MPH?

Tuesday.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:56 AM
cajun555
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I hear you on the wind. Wife wanted to go to Winstar, I said sure and got the bikes out. Told her its supposed to be really windy today, she said so, I want to ride anyway.

Shes ridden it high winds and knows what to expect, bridges are the worst, don't know which way the wind is going to move you and the bike. Shes a real trooper.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:03 AM
Sierra977
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,988 Likes on 2,065 Posts

In the afternoon ran TX66 from Dallas to Greenville and back. Wind was nice on the outbound leg and just the opposite on the way back. Saw a few riders going both ways. Some of us just had to get out on the road. Seventy-five degrees in late November is great riding weather.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:22 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts

Wind is no fun at all to deal with. Out herein the plains we get more than our fair share too.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:10 AM
dotcom2000
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

santa ana winds here in so cal suck. don't mind riding as much as worry about parking. 60 mph gusts.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:12 AM
HAOLE
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,172 Likes on 1,611 Posts

When the tread starts showing wear on one side ..... ride the other direction

LOL

Haole

Quick Reply: North Texas riders... be safe - WIND