General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help With Custom Cables

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 11:12 AM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help With Custom Cables

I'm not an expert when it comes to making custom throttle/brake cables and I need a contact for someone that is. I need a longer push/pull throttle cable and front brake cable for a Street 750 that I want to put mini-ape hangers (12" rise) on. I contacted Motion Pro and sent them my stock cables but they said they couldn't reproduce them in a longer length without scavanging parts from my stock cables that I don't want done.

Does anyone have a good contact for a custom cable maker that can produce cables to any length I might need?

Old 12-03-2014, 02:37 PM
grimm
Road Master

I use Barnett cables. http://www.barnettclutches.com/cables.html
Fairly simple to order custom lengths provided they are in the system. The Street 750 is a new bike, tho, correct? Not sure it'd be in there. You may run into this issue since your bike is a new model. Their instructions say the following....

"How to order for custom applications or applications not listed in catalog

If you are in need of a custom cable or a cable that we do not list in our catalog, you will need to do one of the following:

Send us your original cable(s), if possible. We will duplicate the cable per your instructions. If you need any measurements of the cable changed, specify clearly what you need done.

Send us a detailed drawing or what you require. Be sure to include all measurements and specifications. Please refer to the Custom Cable Measuring Guide to see exactly how we measure our cables. Specify what type of casing you desire. On Harley Davidson/Custom V-Twin applications, be to let us know what type of carburetor you are using and what type of hand controls (if other than stock)."

Old 12-03-2014, 09:40 PM
smokindownthehwy
Cruiser

Originally Posted by grimm
I use Barnett cables. http://www.barnettclutches.com/cables.html
Fairly simple to order custom lengths provided they are in the system. The Street 750 is a new bike, tho, correct? Not sure it'd be in there. You may run into this issue since your bike is a new model.
That was the problem with Motion Pro - New motorcycle not listed. Sent them the cables and they couldn't reproduce them with the hardware they have. I'll contact Barnett tomorrow and see what they have to say.