General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

From walker to biker one man's journey

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 08:53 PM
BoonDock_Saint
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So you had a good time then, EH!? hehe Had the same experience of leading a big pack on the spur of the moment a long time ago. It's great(after it's over and no one dies. Well, no one you like anyway) Glad to see you're not using your sportster seat as a bar stool too.

Was looking at the pic of your bike and it hit me..... you need to have that super scary skull airbrushed on your oil bag!

(more) Happy Motoring!

Old 08-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Sid1200
Road Master
Received 329 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by tlaw
Your stuff is always great to read.
Thanks, I trust your journey is going well also.

Originally Posted by BoonDock_Saint
So you had a good time then, EH!? hehe Had the same experience of leading a big pack on the spur of the moment a long time ago. It's great(after it's over and no one dies. Well, no one you like anyway) Glad to see you're not using your sportster seat as a bar stool too.

Was looking at the pic of your bike and it hit me..... you need to have that super scary skull airbrushed on your oil bag!

(more) Happy Motoring!
I have a strict policy for my journey, no flames, no skulls, no tattoos. If there is one person I would bend the rules for it would be Sid, but for now he will just continue to ride shot gun in my saddle bag.

Old 08-24-2015, 07:37 PM
Sid1200
Road Master

The end of my journey is fast approaching (Sept 12-15) and I can't wait. I am already dreading the winter coming though.

I have always heard and read here about guys who "love" their bikes and how they couldn't live without their bike. I always took it with a grain of salt that people could be "that" hooked on riding and their bike. I am here to give a formal apology to these people. Over these last few months I have grown more and more hooked on my bike and riding. I ride into work everyday, when I bought the bike I figured I would only take the bike to work when my wife needed the car. I ride every day at lunch, I eat at my desk before lunch time so that I can just ride for the full hour. I thought I wouldn't be one of those guys that polish the chrome off their bike.....wrong again. I find myself just parking the bike on my patio so I can sit on and look at. I even park it close to my bbq so I can sit on it while cooking. I am sitting on my bike as I am typing this.

When I am not on the bike I am thinking about the bike and riding. I ride even spare minute that I have without getting divorced. I still haven't been out and have gotten tired of riding, I always turn back because I have something else going on.

My weekend away will be three days of riding with nothing else to get in the way. I will be in my favorite part of the province with no plan but to turn the throttle and go. I can't believe how much I am looking forward to this.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:08 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Hee, hee, hee,,,,

Old 08-25-2015, 01:01 AM
NORTY FLATZ
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,388 Likes on 2,952 Posts

OP~ With the change in seasons, rapidly approaching you, it's time to look at what your winter curricula will be.

Ok, aside from bike maintenance, what about "rider" maintenance? Since you're up in the great white North, you might find some time for a book or two. Or, a magazine.

Here's some recommended reading:

"Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough

"More Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough

"Street Strategies" by David Hough

Everything by Ken Condon (including magazine pieces)

Speaking of magazines, check into "Motorcycle Consumer News." (MCN) It isn't cheap, but it's almost unbiased.
They may even have a website like www.MCNews.com or something like that.

Next Spring, you'll be rusty with your skills you are developing now. Get some "cut-in-half" tennis ***** and lay out a course for you to practice in a parking lot. Practice your swerves and quick stops as these 2 skills can save your life.

A decent movie to see during the winter would be "Why We Ride." Sit your wife down with some popcorn and enjoy. Maybe she'll get an inkling understanding of your enthusiasm.
Keep riding this season as much as you can. Next season, you won't have to repeat everything you learned this year, but you may have to re-inforce some skills that will deteriorate over the winter. Well, that, or move to a place where you can ride all winter long...

Old 08-25-2015, 09:16 AM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Sounds like a great trip.

Once again, I look forward from your adventures for the potential for my own.

A three day weekend of riding sounds great and yeah, I know the feeling of returning home because there are other things to do and not because you are tired of the ride.

I'm going on vacation at the end of September but it's not a trip I can do exclusively on the bike but I'm wishing there was an affordable way to get the bike out there so I would be able to jump on it and just ride without a work schedule getting in the way. Your trip sounds ideal.

I may be looking into all of the books and movies listed above to fill the long Winter days with ideas of better things.

You and Sid have a great trip.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:09 PM
Offroadmaniac
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Loved the read, I'm not much on going completely through long threads but reading only your posts made it possible. I really feel for you with the weather issue. I lived in Anchorage from 81 to 87 and hated the short riding season. Now that I'm in Texas it's almost year round riding and I'm loving it. Enjoy the bike and here's to a life of safe rides.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Sid1200
Road Master

I am getting very pumped about my upcoming trip and thought I should do some test packing to make sure I can fit everything.

Ok done ready to go.

Old 08-30-2015, 05:26 PM
tlaw
Road Captain
Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Looks like you have all your bases covered. Have a safe trip and a great time.

Looking forward to the report.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:49 PM
Sid1200
Road Master

Tomorrow is the big day, I embarked on the final part of my journey. My three day bike trip to Algonquin park. Weather is looking dicey to start out as they are calling for rain. The one part of my journey I was hoping to avoid was riding in the rain. I am prepared for it with my rain suit but was hoping for clear skies for the weekend.

I am super excited to be doing this trip, three days of solo riding in a great part of the country. I just have to watch out for the deer and moose.

The one REALLY big draw back to this whole trip......the resort I am staying at doesn't have coffee makers in the rooms. I need coffee as soon as I get up at 5:00 and the restaurant doesn't open until 8:00. Who the hell doesn't have coffee in the room. It's the MGM Grand in Vegas allover again.

Wish me luck and I will see you on the other side.

Quick Reply: From walker to biker one man's journey