General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What about a Trike

Old 12-10-2014, 12:24 PM
Coyote2
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about a Trike

Hi.

I am new to the group and look forward to "meeting" you. I am new to riding motorcycles as a rider always been a passenger. I am taking my Riders Class next month. My question or observation is what is the stigma to riding a Trike, I would love to own a trike but feel that I may be "shunned" from the 2 wheel riders. How do others feel about this?

Old 12-10-2014, 01:07 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The only thing I've noticed, is that trikes are generally in the back of a pack. I see packs of bikes going down the highway a lot and I've never seen them in the front or middle.

Personally, I don't care what you ride. A bike is a bike, 2 or 3 wheels.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:11 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,269 Likes on 1,975 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote2
Hi.

I am new to the group and look forward to "meeting" you. I am new to riding motorcycles as a rider always been a passenger. I am taking my Riders Class next month. My question or observation is what is the stigma to riding a Trike, I would love to own a trike but feel that I may be "shunned" from the 2 wheel riders. How do others feel about this?
Personally, ride what ever bike makes you happy and forget what others say. I personally don't judge a person by what bike they ride, I judge a person by their attitude. If riding a trike makes you happy, than go for it and enjoy the ride.

Old 12-10-2014, 01:48 PM
oldairboater
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I outgrew trikes at four. I may grow into a sidecar at eighty. Till then two good wheels is plenty most of the time unless I need four. Never shunned anyone over wheel arrangements but have shunned many over being stupid or bad.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:40 PM
Coyote2
2nd Gear

Thanks!!

Old 12-10-2014, 02:49 PM
Crimson
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

With Harley making them now I've noticed a couple things. First of all, I don't think they aren't accepted.. however - I do see a LOT more people riding them who probably wouldn't be if Harley wasn't making them. In the past it seems like anyone who rode one really needed it for physical reasons (For the most part).. now it seems like there are a lot of able bodied people getting them.. Seems odd to me.. but I really don't care.. ride whatever you are comfortable with.

Old 12-10-2014, 02:55 PM
Coyote2
2nd Gear

Crimson: That is somewhat of the mindset I have ran into when looking at bikes, if you aren't physically challenged in some way, then you should be riding two wheels or the assumption is you just cant ride, which may be the case.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:29 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,014 Likes on 11,048 Posts

A Trike gives people with a physical disability an opportunity to ride. An admirable goal.
I wouldn't own one though, I like to lane split.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:31 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

In this area of FL, trikes are very popular. I see more of them on the road every day. One reason they ride in the rear of the pack is that it is difficult for the lead rider to see what's behind the trike. Also, Tri Glides' rear tires tend to kick up road debris if they don't have mud flaps on them. Ride what you want, have fun, & don't bother with anyone who doesn't appreciate a trike.

Old 12-10-2014, 03:40 PM
grimm
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Coyote2
Crimson: That is somewhat of the mindset I have ran into when looking at bikes, if you aren't physically challenged in some way, then you should be riding two wheels or the assumption is you just cant ride, which may be the case.
You're the only one who understands why you want the trike over a bike. In the end, it's nobody else's business. Personally, I'd give my other arm to be able to ride two wheels again, but that's me. I'd rather ride three than nothing. If it's fear of riding, then you're going to be afraid of it whether it's two wheels, three wheels or 18 wheels.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What about a Trike