General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caught in the Rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2014, 03:51 PM
BuzzCap7
Received 18,339 Likes on 10,703 Posts

Originally Posted by 29of1050
One of my all time favorite rides was when we had no particular place to be and we spent three solid days riding all around the UP of Michigan and Wisconsin trying to avoid the rain. We'd check the radar, head in the appropriate direction and end up in all kinds of different places you wouldn't normally go. It wasn't until the third day when the rain finally caught up with us and we rode the last several hours in a pretty major downpour. It was a great time!
WOW MAN!!! What a GREAT idea u just game me. Last year I rode thru Wisconsin, over (ferry) Lake Michigan, and up Michigan 119, tunnel of trees, Macinaw bridge etc.... than back down blah, blah blah, and LIKED IT!!!!

You said u just rode around. I am trying to figure out my 2017 trip over the summer and THAT could be it!!! The upper parts in particular of Wisconsin and MI seem to have really NICE small town and nice roads around water and places to stay.....TAH DAHHH!!! THANKS!!!!!

Really appreciate your post since I was drying up on ideas where to ride over the summer.

Whoooo Hoooooo.................. HAPPY DANCE HAPPY DANCE!!!

BuzzCap7

Old 12-18-2014, 06:22 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Got caught in a pretty big rain storm. Was wearing boots. Jeans. Tshirt. Denim vest. Mechanix gloves. And open face helmet.

No front fender. Had to ride through puddles since the rain was so sever it started flooding the streets....needless to say I was soaked to the bone when I got home.

At the time I was cold and iratated. But looking back I can smile and laugh about it.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:00 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Iarecobra
Got caught in a pretty big rain storm. Was wearing boots. Jeans. Tshirt. Denim vest. Mechanix gloves. And open face helmet.

No front fender. Had to ride through puddles since the rain was so sever it started flooding the streets....needless to say I was soaked to the bone when I got home.

At the time I was cold and iratated. But looking back I can smile and laugh about it.
G'day mate, good to meet you.

If I may bring you back in time.....u said you were cold and irritated. If u could think back to when you got home and pulled ur bike up into its parking spot. <-- At that moment, didn't u feel exhilarated, like the adrenaline is slowing and a sense of accomplishment?

Or were u irritated then?

BuzzCap7

Old 12-19-2014, 11:17 AM
Sparkee...
Road Master
Received 226 Likes on 142 Posts

Years ago I sold my bikes just because every time I was more than an hour from home it rained on me till I got back home. At the time I was travelling weekly to construction crews 2-300 miles from home for work.

Now that I am a little older and wiser my first purchase after picking up the Electra Glide was good leathers with removable liners and rain gear. Now I actually enjoy a ride in the rain. I have been in a few downpours on my tours and still come out bone dry under all the gear. Still looking for some good waterproof heated gloves.

As far as hail, I sat out a brutal hail storm that destroyed my car. There wasn't much of a chance to seek shelter. I like my bike, but I'll sacrifice it for shelter if I'm ever caught in a storm like that again.

Old 12-19-2014, 01:46 PM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by BuzzCap7
G'day mate, good to meet you.

If I may bring you back in time.....u said you were cold and irritated. If u could think back to when you got home and pulled ur bike up into its parking spot. <-- At that moment, didn't u feel exhilarated, like the adrenaline is slowing and a sense of accomplishment?

Or were u irritated then?

BuzzCap7
Haha. Yeah when I got home and peeled my soaked clothes off I felt accomplished. I was mostly irritated sitting at stop lights with the rain pounding down on me

Old 12-19-2014, 05:15 PM
Sandy H.
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

Just recently purchased a Sportster. I've had a few bikes over the years but never been a serious rider and don't expect to become one if it means riding in the rain.

Seen two major bike accidents involving wet roads. One was a couple of kids that didn't slow down and ended up with one of them hitting a palm tree that had all the lower branches cut to stubs. Don't know if he survived. He was in pretty bad shape when the ambulance arrived.

The other involved ME. Was going straight down a city street about 25 MPH and must have hit a patch of oil. Bike went down so fast it trapped my leg under it. As I was sliding down the road the bike started to spin around and that was when I saw the semi truck about to run over me. About the time he managed to jack knife his trailer and get over a lane the bike slowed enough I could lift it off my leg, get up, and run like hell to the curb.

Water makes oil rise to the surface. Especially when it first starts to rain.

Won't say I won't get caught in it but I can say I won't take the bike out knowing it might rain. If I do get caught I will search for cover or if I have to I'll sit on the side of the road in it.

Old 12-20-2014, 07:55 AM
BuzzCap7

Originally Posted by Sandy H.
Was going straight down a city street about 25 MPH and must have hit a patch of oil.
Sandy H.: So sorry to hear all of that. Thank you for sharing. Part of learning to ride in rain is the 1st 20 minutes is the most dangerous due to the oil rising. Real bummer my friend.

The other gent you talked about who was taken away by the ambulance, sounds like he was just going way to fast in the rain. Bike tires are GREAT in the rain but he still needs to stay within certain limits.

Iarecobra: Interesting comparison. When sitting at a light and it is raining lightly or heavy, I feel so a part of nature. That is a high to me. I breathe in deeply hoping to smell the rain, and often look up into the rain to get it on my face. Ok, sometimes I also open 'me mouth like a little kid to get a taste of the rain. (Although I really do not taste it.)

BuzzCap7

Old 12-20-2014, 08:02 AM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

I've ridden in the rain so many times I couldn't begin to tell you any "stories" about it.

Old 12-21-2014, 07:24 AM
SJ58
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah yeah....nothing like a pigshi# shower when you come up behind a big rig full of hogs going to slaughter in a heavy downpour!