General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Texas a good place to live and ride?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2014, 03:13 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts
Default Is Texas a good place to live and ride?

Just curious how life is in Texas? I always wanted to visit or maybe move there one day if i really like it. How is the roads and scenery for riding.. Im more interested in the country side not much of a city fan from what ive heard its really diverse depending on what side of the state your on. How is the whitetail hunting down there? I always see big bucks being taken on the TV shows but they seem to be always hunting on private ranches.. Seems like its a gun friendly state as well its always a plus when you can hunt legally with an AR-15 which i believe is one of the best platforms you can hunt with especially for coyotes. Which is the best area to live for Hunting and scenic riding?

Old 12-13-2014, 03:19 PM
upflying
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,167 Likes on 11,106 Posts

No state income tax in TX. Strong economy, businesses in Ca are fleeing to Texas. Only problem I see is the border with Mexico.

Old 12-13-2014, 03:27 PM
Zakk13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 635 Likes on 326 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
No state income tax in TX. Strong economy, businesses in Ca are fleeing to Texas. Only problem I see is the border with Mexico.
Ya ive heard all that too.. If you look at the border problem tho that affects everybody really.. When They jump the boarder they dont necessarily stay in texas either.. Something really needs to be done with that tho! only can fit so many people in the life raft before it sinks and the USA is the life raft and its sinking..

Old 12-13-2014, 04:10 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

The weather is rough...77° the other day. 67° and sunny right now. Snows in the panhandle, warmer in the south. And there's the 100°+ with 90° humidity days in the summer. One year, we had 60 straight 100° days. Wind is usually stong too. Trees in the east, hills in the central and "mountains" in the west. And, it doesn't rain much or hasn't in the past 5+ years.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:13 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by upflying
No state income tax but they make up for it with property tax. And if you buy a home in Texas, ask if there are MUD taxes on the property.

Before I retired, my job took us to Dallas and Houston. I prefer Houston, yes it's hot and humid in the summer but the mild winters make up for it. That far south you can ride all year. Housing is also very reasonable in the Houston 'burbs. Had we not had family in Oklahoma, we would have retired in Houston (actually Kingwood, 30 miles NE of downtown Houston).

Texas is a huge state though so you need to think area, not the state. A buddy of mine was transferred from El Paso to Dallas and it took his family two days to make the drive.

Good luck!

Last edited by mmcbeat; 12-13-2014 at 04:21 PM.
Old 12-13-2014, 04:18 PM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
No state income tax but they make up for it with property tax. And if you buy a home in Texas, ask if there are MUD taxes on the property.

Before I retired, my job took us to Dallas and Houston. I prefer Houston,yes it's hot and humid in the summer but the mild winters make up for it. That far south you can ride all year. Housing is also very reasonable in the Houston 'burbs. Had we not had family in Oklahoma, we would have retired in Houston (actually Kingwood, 30 miles NE of downtown Houston).

Texas is a huge state though so you need to think area, not the state. A buddy of mine was transferred from El Paso to Dallas and it took his family two days to make the drive.

Good luck!
I lived in Kingwood for just shy of eight years while I was a kid. Great town.

Old 12-13-2014, 04:49 PM
wwglide
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I move to TX two years ago from the Republic of California. It's a heck of a lot cheaper, you can buy whatever type and qty of guns you might want, the whitetail multiple like rabbits (but they are not quite as big was what you find in the midwest) and you can basically ride year round. I'm near Austin and the riding around here great.....

So to answer your question.... Life here is pretty damn good.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:32 PM
tmanbuckhunter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Native Texan here... yes it is a great state to live in but it just depends on where you live, and your line of work will dictate that. I would live in the Hill Country if I had a choice but being a welder keeps me on the coast, but I'm a texas gulf coast rat so I'm happy with that too... aint a road or place I haven't been on in the upper texas coast.

Be prepared... the summers are brutal no matter where you go in the state. There is no forgiveness, and if you don't keep yourself cool or drink water if you work out in it you will die and that's not an exaggeration.

Old 12-13-2014, 05:49 PM
tree88
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Texas=truly awesome.

Last edited by ChickinOnaChain; 12-13-2014 at 09:20 PM. Reason: poorly disguised profanity
Old 12-13-2014, 07:35 PM
ColoradoBill
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We spent 3 years northwest of Austin TX. I really enjoyed riding in the hill country around Austin. Summers were just too hot your my Yankee blood. So we moved to Colorado, now I really love riding in the mountains.

Quick Reply: Is Texas a good place to live and ride?