General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Harley built to customer specs ??

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 05:04 PM
enginesludge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Harley built to customer specs ??

Seems like today there are more models H_D than I could hope to ever keep track of. And yet, during a recent perusal of the sales floor, I would be hard pressed to buy a new bike - even if I hit the lottery.

I can look back for the last 20 years of features offered on a softail and easily put together one or two dream bikes.

Seems like in this decade it would be fairly easy to 'assemble' to suit. Allow a buyer to go online and just select fenders, gas tank, seat, front end, wheels,handle bars,bags etc, and color. Then leave a 25% (non refundable) credit card deposit and pick up and pay balance in a few months at the closest dealer. No haggle full price. Perhaps, add a 10% premium over a comparable stock model.

I think a potential win win situation.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:14 PM
geektoad
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

What's the moco's motivation to do that? The current business model allows them to sell bikes to their design specs, and then make even more money on the accessories to personalize the bike. You're asking them to give up one side of their revenue...not going to happen.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:17 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

HAAAA - I have no desire in wanting all those over-priced Harley after-market parts on my bike!!!!!
I'll stick to the program at hand and switch out what I want with the plethora of after-market company's there are to choose from....

Old 12-14-2014, 05:17 PM
gus4440
Road Captain
Received 63 Likes on 25 Posts

I would like to order a Black Denim Road King. I would pay the MSRP + paint upgrade and a reasonable Dealer fee. Trouble is around here the fees run about $1500-$2000. A little high in my opinion.

Old 12-14-2014, 05:35 PM
enginesludge
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the moco's motivation to do that? The current business model allows them to sell bikes to their design specs, and then make even more money on the accessories to personalize the bike. You're asking them to give up one side of their revenue...not going to happen.
I bet you are right, because I think if HD wanted too, they could make that work. I am happy with my bone stock 06 Heritage. Purchased used. That is a nice setup. And there was no reason ever to buy a new Heritage.

I could almost justify a new bike if it was just exactly what I wanted (totally different from what I got now) and still keep my 06 for practical.

In my case, I may buy an evo softail and set up what I want at a fraction of the cost of new. And, IMHO, modifying a new HD results in LOWER resale value. Not even a break even.

How does my evo plan help the HD bottom line? Not at all.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:21 PM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

It's called HD1. It's on the website. Check it out. Still a little limited but it's headed in your direction.

Old 12-14-2014, 06:23 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

good luck

Old 12-14-2014, 06:26 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

Good Luck with that ... I tried to get a "special color" on the pin stripe ( supplied appropriate color compatible with HD paints ) and pay up front and they said nope!

Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 PM
heybaylor
Stellar HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Good Luck with that ... I tried to get a "special color" on the pin stripe ( supplied appropriate color compatible with HD paints ) and pay up front and they said nope!

that's my point

Old 12-14-2014, 06:29 PM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
or even "pin stripe delete","decal delete"

Quick Reply: New Harley built to customer specs ??