General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

buyer's remorse

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2014, 10:15 PM
justine120
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buyer's remorse

my first bike was a used street bob. loved that bike, but i lost it in hurricane sandy. i bought that bike because it's what i was able to afford at the time. but i always had my eye on a wide glide. just loved the look of that bike. had the wide glide for 2 years. over time i found there were things i just don't like. the forward controls, the extended rake, etc. tried to hang in there and make it mine, but so far i just haven't bonded with the bike. anyone else ever have an experience like this? is it better to just trade it in or hang in there?

Old 12-14-2014, 10:21 PM
sixguns
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,458 Likes on 755 Posts

I bought a new bike in 2013 and traded it off in 2014. Life is too short to do anything else.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Falcon195
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep me too.
Bought a new 2012 Street Glide, put 7000 miles on it and just couldn't "bond" with it also. So I sold it and bought a new 2012 Fatboy. And I am happy with the choice I made.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:15 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

I am sure there is some consumer science out there to support some kind of bonding to objects including motorcycles. Mine "fits" me.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:20 PM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,270 Likes on 11,143 Posts

Originally Posted by justine120
my first bike was a used street bob. loved that bike, but i lost it in hurricane sandy. i bought that bike because it's what i was able to afford at the time. but i always had my eye on a wide glide. just loved the look of that bike. had the wide glide for 2 years. over time i found there were things i just don't like. the forward controls, the extended rake, etc. tried to hang in there and make it mine, but so far i just haven't bonded with the bike. anyone else ever have an experience like this? is it better to just trade it in or hang in there?
Life is too short to drink bad wine, or ride a bike you don't like. Trade or sell it and get what makes you happy.

Oh yeah..rent the next one for a long day.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:39 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

dump it... no matter how much $$$$$ you throw at it... You ain't gonna be Happy...

Old 12-14-2014, 11:49 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by justine120
My father in law, who's been riding all his life, experienced exactly the same thing you did. Bought a brand new '13 WG, and over the next six months started riding less and less. Finally said he hated it. Forward controls and short bars was a terrible riding position, and the raked front end makes low speed turns much more difficult.

He traded it on a '14 Heritage and never regretted it. You gotta ride the one you like, or it will sit in the garage.

Old 12-14-2014, 11:53 PM
1frozen_toe
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had love/hate relationship with "Red" my 08 1200 sporty low,I was so happy at the time when I bought her because I could ride her as she was with no adjusting,being a shorty and not a lot out there at the time,and being a 1200,and the price was good,so how do u say SOLD lol anyway it didn't take long before the list of things I didn't like started ,and in the last 3 years I did a lot of looking but never quite finding that perfect fit,that was until I read an article on the Deluxe and what an easy ride it is ,and the handling perfect.anyway it does take time to find that ideal bike,it sure can be a lot of fun hunting that perfect match,and there's nothing wrong with changing your mind or the dream you thought turns into a nightmare like it's been said time again " life's too short to be unhappy" cheers

Old 12-15-2014, 12:40 AM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

Friend,
The Gents above have said it, by all means get what you want.
You've given it a good effort, shop around and make a wise trade.

Old 12-15-2014, 12:46 AM
kingomtn
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think that you should get and ride the bike you like.
Beside the other comments I think that if you are not happy with the bike you will be thinking about THAT when you are riding, not the more important things like enjoying the ride and being aware.

Quick Reply: buyer's remorse