General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

(Free) iPhone App for Riders - Record and Share a Route

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 03:57 PM
fatbob2012
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (Free) iPhone App for Riders - Record and Share a Route

Hi all:

As a fellow rider, I had a need for a specific type of app - one that would let me record a route that I rode with a buddy of mine so I could re-ride it later. I couldn't find anything like that so I did it myself. (He gets credit for the graphics, beats the heck out of my stick figures!)

In addition to recording the route, you can share it with other iPhone users that have the app. This also makes it possibly useful for group rides - share the route so if part of the group gets separated someone will have the route.

It's free, I'm not making any money off of this. I just thought I'd share because I'd appreciate feedback on it and I thought others might find it useful too. If it takes off I have ideas for other features, but I wanted to see if this app is useful for others before putting in more time.

You can find it in the Apple App Store as 'Junket' or you can check it out on the website I setup for it: http://www.junketapp.com The website has screen shots of the app and other bits of info.

Thanks all! Ride safe!

EDIT: If you do download the app, I'd appreciate it greatly if you'd post a review in the app store. I know it's been downloaded a decent number of times, but unfortunately there hasn't been enough reviews posted for Apple to show them yet.

(I did look for etiquette rules - if this isn't the right sub-forum let me know.)

Last edited by fatbob2012; 12-20-2014 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Added request for feedback in app store.
Old 12-19-2014, 05:04 PM
DeeRides
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 39 Posts

Looks interesting. Do you have plans to offer it for Android phones?

Old 12-19-2014, 06:28 PM
fatbob2012
Intermediate

I looked at offering an Android version, but unfortunately Google limits the number of way points (GPS coordinates) that you can pass in to them to get the lines for the map route back from them.

For short rides this wouldn't be a problem, but for long rides it would definitely have an accuracy impact. (The recorded way points would be perfect, but for long rides some of those way points would have to be eliminated to stay under Google's limit, which means the returned route may take or not take roads that were actually ridden.)

I'm not bashing Android/Google on this, it's just a decision they made in their maps programming interface. Until iOS 7 this app wouldn't have been possible on iPhones for the same reason. The last time I checked Google offered a pay-for license which I think increased the number of way points slightly, but that was too costly for me to consider and it wasn't high enough for long rides.

I plan on periodically checking and if there's a change or a way I can work around it then I'll work on an Android version.

Old 12-19-2014, 07:28 PM
Baldman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll give it a try, thanks!

Old 12-20-2014, 07:05 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

It is not free

Old 12-20-2014, 07:24 AM
josame
Road Master
Received 291 Likes on 163 Posts

When I go to the app store it says Free?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:45 AM
sunderhill
Road Master

Received 203 Likes on 90 Posts

mine asked for credit card account?

Old 12-20-2014, 07:52 AM
fatbob2012
Intermediate

The app is free (see screenshot taken from a web browser). Apple recently changed the install button from 'Free' to 'Get' because so many apps are free but really aren't because of requiring in-app purchases.

If you are being prompted for a credit card, I'm not sure what the problem may be other than maybe not having a card on file (or you did and it's past the expiration date?) with the app store - which won't be charged for my app because it's free.

Here's a direct link that you can see the info about Junket in a web browser: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/junket/id921381958?mt=8

Attached Thumbnails (Free) iPhone App for Riders - Record and Share a Route-screen-shot-2014-12-20-at-8.47.12-am.jpg  

Last edited by fatbob2012; 12-20-2014 at 07:55 AM. Reason: Added iTunes link
Old 12-20-2014, 08:16 AM
ew25950
Road Master
Received 144 Likes on 106 Posts

The app is definitely free, thanks for creating/sharing it OP. I'll give it a try when I ride next.

Now where is the app to remind me to use this when I ride next??

Old 12-20-2014, 09:32 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,187 Likes on 2,454 Posts

i like the idea. the only problem i see is that you have to set it up before you ride the route. sometimes, you don't know that a route was good until after you've ridden it.

Quick Reply: (Free) iPhone App for Riders - Record and Share a Route