General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated jacket liner opinions wanted.

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2014, 06:06 PM
Deathtrap
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated jacket liner opinions wanted.

I've been researching different brands and features. I want to replace the fxrg liner with something less bulky so figured heated is the way to go. Tried on the gerbing but it seems bulkier than i want. Powerlet and warm and safe are the others i been looking at. Powerlet Rapidfire looks great and found an awesome deal, but all posts and reviews seem to be older. Are they discontinued?
W&S generation 4 looks nice also. I have their remote heat troller that works great. Slightly cheaper than gerbing.
Firstgears is W&S gen 3 as far as i can tell.
Just wanted to hear your experiences with any of these.. Thanks

Old 12-20-2014, 06:31 PM
indyfjr
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Deathtrap
I've been researching different brands and features. I want to replace the fxrg liner with something less bulky so figured heated is the way to go. Tried on the gerbing but it seems bulkier than i want. Powerlet and warm and safe are the others i been looking at. Powerlet Rapidfire looks great and found an awesome deal, but all posts and reviews seem to be older. Are they discontinued?
W&S generation 4 looks nice also. I have their remote heat troller that works great. Slightly cheaper than gerbing.
Firstgears is W&S gen 3 as far as i can tell.
Just wanted to hear your experiences with any of these.. Thanks
I currently have the w&s gen4 and I highly recommend it. Previously I used a older widder vest and the difference is night & day. The first gear is the gen3 version of w&s. The fit needs to be snug for the best heat transfer. The w&s has stretch fabric on the side. Hope this helps...

Old 12-20-2014, 06:40 PM
Deathtrap
Advanced

Originally Posted by indyfjr
I currently have the w&s gen4 and I highly recommend it. Previously I used a older widder vest and the difference is night & day. The first gear is the gen3 version of w&s. The fit needs to be snug for the best heat transfer. The w&s has stretch fabric on the side. Hope this helps...
Thanks and it does help. Skeptical of online size charts. I wear a L shirt so that would probably be what i would order. Not sure how snug it would be.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:25 PM
BlueHog54
Novice

I've had Gerbing jacket liner and gloves for four years now. They work great. I dont think the liner is that bulky.

Old 12-20-2014, 09:35 PM
srt8
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the gerbing jacket and gloves as well and love em, I also dont think they are bulky either, stays very warm I ride at night in below freezing weather no problem

Old 12-21-2014, 01:08 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Gerbing Jacket Liner. Very effective! Makes riding in 30*F - 50*F weather seem like a nice warm sunny summer day. Be sure to get a Heat-Troller no matter whose Electric Gear you buy. Also, a bit snug is better than loose. For these things to work at their best they really need to fit.

Old 12-21-2014, 01:41 AM
JustOneDean
Road Warrior
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I use the Gerbing jacket liner. The Gerbing glove liners I found too bulky, so I use the Firstgear glove liners instead, no compatibility problems between the two. I also use Gerbing's temperature controller. The coldest weather I've ridden in is 21 degrees Fahrenheit, at approximately 60 mph for about 100 miles. By the time I got where I was going, my feet were numb, but my core was fine.

Old 12-21-2014, 05:03 AM
m.colley
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been using the Venture heated jacket liner for 4+ years and love it. You'll usually find me layered up with a base layer (under armour type) a light shirt, the jacket liner and my down packable jacket. The down jacket traps the heat so well you don't need the bulk from a thick riding jacket and the mobility is great. Even though I live in Georgia I ride year round across the southeast as long as the roads are clear. The coldest weekend so far was last year, 460 miles one way in 14 degree weather. Riding this time of year I don't leave the house without my heated gear...

Old 12-21-2014, 05:44 AM
ynots
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I have the tour master synergy jacket liner. I never cared for the liners that came with my riding jackets so I use to wear fleece. Its about the same bulk as any standard liner. They have stretch panels in the arms and sides to fit snug. The ol has a small I borrowed and squeezed into a few times and decided to buy my own large. There best worn snug over a long sleeve T shirt. 2 years and counting. 199.00 and zero complaints

Old 12-21-2014, 09:20 AM
Deathtrap
Advanced

Thanks for the comments. Understandable that gerbings is mentioned the most as they seem to be the industry leader. I do have their gloves and they are nice. Guess my thinking was that technology changes and gets better. Thats why I've been trying to get opinions on W&S and powerlet. They seem to use an infrared type of heat. Also using the Y cable to connect my gloves is kinda a pita.. Just sayin

Quick Reply: Heated jacket liner opinions wanted.