General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next year, touring our own great state!! Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 08:17 PM
BlackPearl#1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 111 Posts
Default Next year, touring our own great state!! Wisconsin

Me and 3 or 4 buddies do an annual ride usually around the first week of September. This will be 9th year and with 1 week to ride our choices are limited. This year when we got back into WI from the U.P. we decided we always have great (no I did not say the best) of roads, food-drink, places to stay, friendly people, worry about theft, scenery, and just plain good times here in WI.
We have been from around lake superior to lake of the Ozarks. Had many great miles and thankfully no major issues averaging 2100 miles or so. We never push for mega mile days and like to have a comfortable place to stay preferably with a bar-restaurant on the same place by 4 pm or so. Pretty laid back group. Anyways last year we as a group, the last night of the trip at one of the guys' cabins, we decided next year we are going to ride the borders of our own state. We have the Mississippi, Lake Michigan, the U.P.-Lake Superior and the southern border to include the a few small town brewery's over to the mother-ship home of HD, Milwaukee. Sorry for writing a novel, just thought I'd share our thoughts, sometimes ya got it pretty good, pretty close to home. If nothing else a great place to post up your good times places in WI.
Kris

Last edited by BlackPearl#1; 12-21-2014 at 08:20 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 08:39 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Don't forget the middle of the state. It's all good. Hwy 73 from Plainfield to Hwy94 is a great ride. Empty roads. Sweeping curves, farm country with some nice tourist towns.

Old 12-21-2014, 08:45 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,039 Likes on 3,711 Posts

Some great rides along Lake Michigan from Green Bay to Milwaukee. Wave as you go by Oshkosh. Or stop and I'll buy you a barley pop.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:23 AM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Don't forget the middle of the state. It's all good. Hwy 73 from Plainfield to Hwy94 is a great ride. Empty roads. Sweeping curves, farm country with some nice tourist towns.
Although I now live on the Island of Maui, Hawaii, Wisconsin is a beautiful state. I lived in Oshkosh from 1969 to 1975, don't forget the North Woods area and the Kettle Moraine, generally good food and friendly people - it's all good. Just stay off the Inter-states and stick to the two lane county highways. The ride around Lake Winnebago and a ride up to Door County is also interesting with some local bars and delicious relatively inexpensive fish dinner specials.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Foundr of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 12-22-2014 at 02:25 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 06:21 AM
Ronder
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 12-22-2014, 06:30 AM
trckdrvr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful state.Nice people.
A strange obsession with Brats..
cheese brats,bacon brats,potato brats.ham n cheese brats..on.on,on

Old 12-22-2014, 07:15 AM
MSP Dan
Cruiser

Black Pearl,

I live as far South in Wisconsin as one can possibly get (1.25 miles from my driveway to the Illinois line) and about 30 miles from Lake Michigan. If I leave here heading West or Northwest I run into nothing but great riding all the way to the Mississippi and beyond.

Have you done the Rustic Roads deal from the WI DOT? I haven't, but I keep threatening to. If you ride every one of the state's dedicated Rustic Roads and send pics to the DOT they send you a patch. I think they also have one for riding a certain amount of them but not all. I don't really do patches, but it seems like a neat idea.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:33 AM
Ronder
Cruiser

MSP Dan,

You don't need all the 117 marked Rustic Roads. Just do 10 of these roads and you'll be eligible for a Rustic Roads Motorcycle Tour patch. 25 Rustic Roads qualifies you for a special state certificate.

After the wife's and My first year up here in NW WI, we will be taking pics in 2015.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:40 AM
MSP Dan
Cruiser

Thanks, Ronder. I thought they also had one for doing all of them. I've easily done more than 25 of them but haven't bothered with pics because I don't really do patches very much. The want of the patch isn't quite strong enough to override my laziness. I'm not anti patch. I do like patches for mementos of places/events that I've been to but I don't wear a vest very often.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Ronder
Cruiser

Dawns into patches.... Just rode 10 plus this year but also were enjoying the ride to stop and take the photo... Next year

Quick Reply: Next year, touring our own great state!! Wisconsin