General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with mold growth

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 AM
TORQUEDORK
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with mold growth

Need help keeping mold from growing on the HD.

I live a cool wet area and store my bikes outside is an enclosed, but un- insulated garage. A lot of moisture seep in through the windows, ground etc..
The HD attracts a lot of this moisture and i find a lot of mold growing on it.
What are some ways to help keep mold from growing on everything?? Thanks

Old 12-23-2014, 09:36 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member
Received 419 Likes on 297 Posts

A small space heater or de-humidifier would help alot if you have power to the place. The home repair stores sell a product for absorbing moisture,but I can't remember what it is called. I see it mentioned on home repair forums,for damp basements..
Some ventilation might help too.Vents near bottom and top of shed to move the air.

Last edited by hdbob2006; 12-23-2014 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 09:51 AM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Probably from condensation, try leaving the windows partially open to equalize the temperature inside and out.
I had a similar problem with the ATV and tractor in my closed up but unheated garage but noticed there was no such issue with my truck which sits for weeks on end under an open carport. So I began leaving the awning windows open a couple inches and no more problem.

Old 12-23-2014, 10:16 AM
patrickd
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try using a small fan to get the air moving. I start pepper plants indoors and that solved my mold growing problem.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:03 AM
billatstarbrite
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

South Florida is the Mold Capital of the world; a small fan and a 110 volt work light will keep mold at bay.

Old 12-23-2014, 11:14 AM
bugsonmyteeth
Novice

You can also go to an r.v. place and buy a dessicant that you leave out and it attracts all the moisture. Needs to be replaced regularly though.

Old 12-24-2014, 03:04 PM
TORQUEDORK
Novice

Thanks for the tips fellas. I went to the hardware store this morning and bought a med size fan. I like the idea of moving air around. Its been running for a few hours and i can already feel the difference when i walk in.

The guy at the hardware store had a good tip. He has a HD and said when he puts his bike up for the winter he takes a soft cloth and gives the whole thing (all the metal) a good wipe down with WD40. He says hes been doing that for several years without any neg affects, and never has any moisture accumulation or mold on the bike.

For the geeks out there, WD40 stands for "water displacement formula #40"

Old 12-24-2014, 03:25 PM
piggy
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mold

In the boating world ,, they use a heatrod to prevent moisture from forming in cabins, SOOOOOOO for the past few years I've put a heatrod under by bike in a shed( same as a 1oowatt bulb) it prevents moisture from building, causeing rust and or Mold in your case. If you have no boat shops around GOOGLE heatrod. PS Cheap to use, As is a 75-1oo watt bulb.

Old 12-25-2014, 09:00 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 816 Likes on 462 Posts

air movement and ventilation....

I have not gotten to the point of keeping a de humidifier in the garage at the Florida house, but I do take the seat off my rice bike and store it in the house, and I have a fan on a timer that comes on a few times a day to circulate the air.

If I ever leave one of the baggers down here in the rainy season, I will have a de humidifier running in the garage when I am not here..

(hmmm as I look over my shoulder I see I could get the bike in the house through the slider from the lanai.... now how do I get it in the lanai...)

Old 12-25-2014, 09:52 AM
porschedog
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Chemical dehumidifies like star brite no damp are great in a confined area like a boat or an rv, but in a storage shed in a high humidity area you'll have to refill the pellets or replace the system every few weeks. An electric dehumidifier is effective, but the small fan and a garage light /trouble light with a 60 watt or higher bulb left on accomplishes the same thing at a lower cost. The light and fan sound might also help keep critters out. Cats, possums, mice, neighbor kids, etc

Quick Reply: Help with mold growth