General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can not believe my luck

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 03:02 PM
dwg dave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can not believe my luck

Was going to post this in spring of 14 but got too busy and forgot. In 2007 I bought a new Wide Glide, black cheery with profile spoke wheels. Loved the bike until 2010 when we went to Virginia, between having to wear a helmet and constant wind to the point of flapping my checks at 75 mph, neck and back aches I came to the realization that I needed a touring bike if I was going to ride longer than a few hours. In 2011 I traded the bike in for a Electra Glide Classic with lowers after test riding a demo. It did everything I wanted, wind protection, comfort, warmer in cold weather and so on. After owning it for a few weeks I realized I had no passion for it, rode it like an old lady, the bike just had no SOUL, I wanted my Wide Glide back. After spending a few grand modifying it (Solo conversion) hoping I’d like it. I still did not like it and decided to sell it in 2013 if I could get enough for it, well that did not happen and I kept it. In March of 2014 while forcing myself to get it ready for riding season I said screw it, this bikes got to go no matter how much I loose, I wanted my Wide Glide back. I started putting the word out it was for sale, a few tire kickers but not much else so I posted it on Craigs list and E-Bay. While I was on Craigs list I started looking for a 07 Wide Glide in black cherry and my jaw drops, it was my Wide Glide that I had traded in with only 1700 more miles then when I traded it in for and less money than I got when I traded it in. I called the guy, asked him if he bought it in 2011 at a Harley dealer in Eastern Ct which he had. Went to look at the bike a few days later (VIN matched), a little disappointed when I saw it because of not being taken care of, no fluid changes, no polishing, scratches and so on. Tried to negotiate a lower price but the most I could get him down was 500 and the price was still at high retail. But I wanted it back and we came to an agreement that he would keep it until I finished the sale of the Electra Glide. Couple days later a guy puts in an offer thru e-bay on the Electra Glide which I accept, complete the sale of the Electra Glide and go pick up the Wide Glide. Got it restored mostly back to condition I sold it in and after two fluid changes in 200 miles I hope I got most of the crap out of the engine/tranny/primary. My wife who rides a custom Deuce trike even commented that I’m like a different person while I’m riding it, more relaxed, having fun, and running the twisties much faster like I used to do before the EG, she absolutely hated following me on the EG since the day I bought it. Ya I love having my Wide Glide back.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:08 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Awesome you got your MOJO back, congrats

Old 12-26-2014, 03:13 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Great story! Ride safe!

Post some pics!

Old 12-26-2014, 03:17 PM
dwg dave
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 07 Wide Glide

Attached Thumbnails Can not believe my luck-the-bitch-002.jpg  
Old 12-26-2014, 03:20 PM
01fxdxt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 123 Likes on 92 Posts

Good fer ya
Just don't get the" bikes with soul" thing,kinda goofy,just another cool mechanical horse.

Old 12-26-2014, 03:22 PM
Road Star
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 412 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by dwg dave
My 07 Wide Glide
Nice bike, any plans on changing it up?

Old 12-26-2014, 04:33 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Good story and congratulations. And I understand about the Touring Model having "No Soul".

Old 12-26-2014, 04:56 PM
Wide_Open
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 82 Posts

Great looking bike, no wonder you wanted it back.
Add a detachable windscreen for those road trips, it will make a world of difference.

Last edited by Wide_Open; 12-26-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 05:13 PM
torchmaster
Road Warrior
Received 156 Likes on 99 Posts

Thats awesome dude. There's just something about the wide glide for me too. I have often looked at other bikes, even rented a heritage and test rode touring bikes but nothing lights me up like my wide glide. Doubt I'll ever get rid of it.
Ride safe!

Old 12-26-2014, 05:26 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,726 Posts

I've bought a few bikes through the decades that I knew was a mistake before I had them a week. Only took a big loss on one, and the guy that bought it wanted to give it back in about a week (didn't happen). Some bikes seem great on the first ride, but somehow, they quickly seem a little "off" and it just gets worse with every subsequent ride. I have two bikes I intend keeping, but wouldn't if either was the only bike I could have. Some bikes are a joy to ride occasionally, but are just too uncomfortable or unreliable to cross a few states on.

That's pretty cool, getting your favorite bike back that way.

Quick Reply: Can not believe my luck