General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying a bike from a Seller that has HD Financing

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2014, 08:59 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts
Default Buying a bike from a Seller that has HD Financing

I'm pursuing the idea of buying another bike, the Seller financed the bike thru HD finance and owes about 50% of what I'm offering to buy the bike from him for.
I'm planning to call HD Finance on Monday after the holidays but I was wondering if anyone here has every bought a bike from a private seller that had HD Financing that would be paid off with the remainder of the sale price going directly to the seller.
I'm trying to get the seller to pay off the note & get the title, go to DVM to get a clean title and then sell it to me with a clean title - but time is short as the Seller is trying to unload it before he moves.
Will HD send me the title?
Will the title be clean or does the Seller need to sign it before I can get a clean title?
Thanks in advance.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:13 PM
mmcbeat
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Most if not all HD dealers will do a dealer assisted sale. They do all the paperwork, pay off the old note and can make a new loan to the buyer. Cost is about $200, normally paid by the seller.

Old 12-26-2014, 09:53 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 328 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat
Most if not all HD dealers will do a dealer assisted sale. They do all the paperwork, pay off the old note and can make a new loan to the buyer. Cost is about $200, normally paid by the seller.
I'm not looking to finance, I'd prefer to just write one check to the Seller if he can get the Title - but prepared to write two - one to HD to get the title and the second to the Seller for the difference between the sale price and loan payoff amount.
I just want to make sure I'm covering my bases in that I get the bike & the title clean and free.
If the Seller & I went to HD, could I pay off his loan there and have them send me the title?

Old 12-26-2014, 09:56 PM
Clubber
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JMC22
I'm not looking to finance, I'd prefer to just write one check to the Seller if he can get the Title - but prepared to write two - one to HD to get the title and the second to the Seller for the difference between the sale price and loan payoff amount.
I just want to make sure I'm covering my bases in that I get the bike & the title clean and free.
If the Seller & I went to HD, could I pay off his loan there and have them send me the title?
I've done this before with a credit union. Took about an hour and the lady took care of everything. In my case, he owed a little more than I what was buying it for, so he had to cut a check.

Edit: Nvm, you aren't financing. Maybe finance some of it and just pay it off right away. The bank or Credit Union will have you covered. There's limited power of attorney and whatnot that needs to be signed. It's a decent sized stack. A credit union might do it for a small fee. It's easy to get scammed and the cops won't do much.

Last edited by Clubber; 12-26-2014 at 10:05 PM.
Old 12-26-2014, 10:04 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Any financial company is very familiar with this transaction. It's as common as can be. HDFS will have no problem with it.

Old 12-26-2014, 10:08 PM
1004ron
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I met the seller at his bank, paid the full purchase price to the bank, they counted the cash and gave him his cut, and then handed the title to me.

I went with the title to the DVM the next day and got a clean title in my name.

Old 12-27-2014, 07:34 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Will HD send me the title?
Will the title be clean or does the Seller need to sign it before I can get a clean title?
Thanks in advance.
No, the finance company will not send you the title.
The bike is not "titled" in your name, and your name is not on the loan.
Once the note is payed off, they send the title or lien release to the person listed on the loan paper work.

Whoever is listed as "owner" on the title will need to sign it before you can take it to the DMV and get it transferred to your name.

As others mentioned, most HD dealers will help you through this process to make it hassle free.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

I'm pursuing the idea of buying another bike.....
Finally gonna get that grown up bike?

Old 12-27-2014, 08:06 AM
scott504
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought mine just as mmcbeat mentioned and I didn't finance the bike. The seller owed HD finance, we both met at the dealer, he brought the bike and I brought check. The dealer looked up payoff on the loan, I wrote a check to the dealer for the sale price and the seller wrote the remaining on the loan amount. The dealer kept the bike until the clear title was sent back to them and then I picked up title and bike from the dealer. The dealer charged $200 for this service.

Old 12-27-2014, 08:28 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by mmcbeat

I think you're right about most dealerships, but they won't do it here in Daytona. At least they won't do it for me. I just went to the Harley dealer here to pay off my bike and they told me they don't get involved with that. Told me to call Harley Financial myself, get the pay-off & an address, and send them a check. I'm pretty sure they could have looked it up on their computer (I bought and financed it there) & taken a check from me, but they didn't want to be bothered.

Anyway, just about everything I've read above is true. It shouldn't be a big deal, especially if you get a dealer to help out.

Quick Reply: Buying a bike from a Seller that has HD Financing