General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Travel to Cabo San Lucas around may or june

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2014, 12:02 PM
Tip&RingRet
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Travel to Cabo San Lucas around may or june

Does anyone travel from Ca. riding the main road and back?

Old 12-29-2014, 02:05 PM
doug62
Road Captain
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Tip&RingRet
I would'nt be caught dead riding a motorcycle in that 3rd world country. Way to dangerous for me. Used to be a great place to vacation, not anymore since the drug lords took it over. Travel there at your own risk!

Old 12-29-2014, 03:46 PM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by Tip&RingRet

You'll be OK, but don't ride at night.

Old 12-29-2014, 09:27 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by doug62
I would'nt be caught dead riding a motorcycle in that 3rd world country. Way to dangerous for me. Used to be a great place to vacation, not anymore since the drug lords took it over. Travel there at your own risk!
Could not have said it better myself. Nothing but touble. Corrupt cops and judges, not to mention the Drug Cartels who will try to kidnap you and shake your family down for a ransom payment. Very bad Ju Ju there now. I wouldn't go to Mexico if I was offered free travel and the Presidential Suite at the finest hotel in the country. My suggestion would be to ride to Vegas or the Florida Keys and Key West, believe me you'll have a good time and won't have to be continually watching your six for bad guys.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 12-29-2014 at 11:16 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 10:26 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Call your insurance company and check what it will cost for coverage in Mexico, if they'll even cover you.

I'd be interested in hearing what they say if you wouldn't mind posting back when you find out.

Old 12-29-2014, 10:44 PM
Mi3ninos
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,762 Likes on 700 Posts

Its done more often than people think. Live your life without fear and simply be aware of your surroundings. Anywhere.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 AM
mrmarklin
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 45 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by zeus33
Call your insurance company and check what it will cost for coverage in Mexico, if they'll even cover you.

I'd be interested in hearing what they say if you wouldn't mind posting back when you find out.
One must buy Mexican insurance. It's available at the border crossing. Do not omit to do this........American insurance is no good in Mexico.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:30 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Rode from LA to Cabo in October this year. Group of about 12 riders, wife rode with me.
Eagle Rider tour sponsored by the Buffalo Chip.
Here's a link to the ride report.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-f...ish-tacos.html

Had a blast. Roads were good, locals friendly, food fantastic!

Old 12-30-2014, 05:43 PM
lo-rider
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've traveled Baja and Mexico by car, truck, bus, plane, boat and motorcycle over the past 50+ years. Made a bike trip to La Paz, nearly 25 years ago. Just me with my then wife on the back of an FXRS. Even then the roads were terrific. Gas availability was adequate that I never ran out, but sweated a couple times. Ate at roadside stands and restaurants. Saw only a few riders--nearly as many bicycles. Found places to stay where I could bring the bike into the room or keep it in a closed courtyard. Otherwise strove to park it where I could keep an eye on it. Your insurance likely won't cover your bike to Cabo--you'll need to buy Mexican insurance.

Though the dangers have no doubt increased since then, due to our ever escalating war on drugs, I wouldn't let the fear mongers, who've never taken the ride or risk, decide for you. Reasonable precautions should be taken. If you're afraid to go anywhere without your concealed carry, Baja is not for you. They are very serious about their firearms laws, Mexican gangsters apparently excepted. Same with their drug laws, ironically. It's not easy keeping a low profile on a Harley that costs more than an ordinary family might earn in years. So use your head when choosing a place to park. Just like in this country.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:16 PM
dribble
Grand HDF Member
Received 457 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by fishheadsaid
Rode from LA to Cabo in October this year. Group of about 12 riders, wife rode with me.
Eagle Rider tour sponsored by the Buffalo Chip.
Here's a link to the ride report.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/the-f...ish-tacos.html

Had a blast. Roads were good, locals friendly, food fantastic!
Great pics!! What a fantastic trip. I hear that there are people in pickups running around that sell gas in the out of the way areas. I want to do this. I love Cabo and love the people there.

Quick Reply: Travel to Cabo San Lucas around may or june