General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 10:54 AM
samac1068
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Lifts

I've only been riding for a little while and after experiencing the expense of running through a set of tires in a year, as well as needing almost monthly fluid changes, I've decided to do more and more of my own maintenance.

My 2012 Electra Glide Limited is closing in on 33K and she is again needing a set of tires, and I've decided this will be a task I'll do myself. I've ordered my tires (Metzeler 888) at a great price, and I've decided to switch from balancing weights to Ride-on. I'm going to have Harley mount the tires for me (not ready to do that myself....yet), but I need a reliable motorcycle lift so I can remove the wheels from the bike.

I've been doing my research and found many links that showed comparisons between brands and I've found a couple that I'm teetering on. I'm asking for any opinions on the lifts I mention below, or even some others that I may have missed. Any help would be appreciated, but I'm trying to keep my cost down, so I'd like to avoid those $1500.00 lifts ().

The first one I've seen was the Torin Recreational Vehicle Lift 3/4 Ton. It has several decent reviews and a very acceptable price of $129.99.

The second one I've seen was the J&S Jacks Motorcycle Lift 3/4 Ton. The reviews and the videos I've seen are amazing, but the price is a little steep at $399.99.

I understand that I shouldn't skimp on my equipment, but if the $129.99 lift works just as well or even almost as well as the $400.00 lift, then I can't seem to justify paying the higher price. I guess I am looking for any thoughts and/or views about these or any other motorcycle lifting system. Thanks for letting me bend your ear.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:57 AM
tatcarr
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sears Sells a jack that is very good for the price when it goes on sale it's under hundred dollars .it's usually in stock I've had one for years picks up my road king and my fatboy safely and easily

http://local.sears.com/Craftsman-Mot...x00001xlpla#!/

Last edited by tatcarr; 12-30-2014 at 10:59 AM.
Old 12-30-2014, 12:29 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

the J&S is considered the "Cadillac" for floor jacks...if you splurge for it, you'll never regret your decision. With that said, there are a lot of other less costly solutions that will get the job done.

Old 12-30-2014, 12:52 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 296 Likes on 176 Posts

I have the J&S jack and can assure you there are none better. You have seen the demo for J&S, try that with any other brand. Engineering = stability. Spend the extra $$ you will never be sorry.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:14 PM
samac1068
Advanced

In the past eight hours, I've watched just about all videos related to motorcycle lift jacks, and for center lift jacks, which is what I want, J&S Jacks has proven to be the best. It does seem to make sense to spend the extra dollars now, instead of paying for a cheaper version and have to replace it later.

For those who have J&S Jacks, what type of warranty comes with it?

Old 12-30-2014, 01:28 PM
96roadking
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use a Craftsman Jack and it's worked well for my Sportster (with slight modification) and both of my Road Kings (without modification). That said, find an independent or even a metric dealer to mount your tires. Harley wants too much to do it, or sometimes will not even do it unless the tires are bought from them. I have a local indy who mounts and balances for 20 bux each tire (off the bike).

Old 12-30-2014, 01:37 PM
PanHeadRich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by samac1068
For those who have J&S Jacks, what type of warranty comes with it?

Warranty

We warranty our products against defects in workmanship on every piece and part for the lifetime of the product. Because we don't manufacture the bottle jack, it is under warranty for two years after purchase. If you would like a replacement, you may purchase one directly from us, call 1-866-884-5586.

Improper use of the J&S Jacks Motorcycle Lift voids this warranty. J&S Jacks is not responsible for damages incurred if the instructions for use are not followed.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:40 PM
Pete6114
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have the J&S jack with the optional oil drain pan. I'm a firm believer in, you get what you pay for and dont mind paying more for better, preferably the best. In my younger years, cheaper was always better, even when i had to buy it twice and some times three times before eventually opening my wallet a little wider and buying the best.
There are others that are cheaper, but it sure wont be equal to J&S or pitbull

Old 12-30-2014, 01:52 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have a Craftsman M/C jack and it works fine, for my KLR 650. When I crank up my FLHTC to full height it's downright scary how much wobble you get. Now I mostly use it just to lift the wheels off the ground and no higher. It's sort of OK for that.

Sooner or later I'll give the Sears to my nephew who rides a 250. Then I'll do the smart thing, this time, and buy a J&S.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:02 PM
samac1068
Advanced

I never thought about Harley unwillingness to mount the tires because I didn't buy from them. The possibility never even crossed my mind. I'm leaning more and more towards the J&S, I know it will pay for itself after just a couple of uses. It's that first hurdle I need to get past....well that and finding someone to mount my tires for a reasonable rate. I like $20.00 per tire.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Lifts