General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer Installed Muffler Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 11:29 AM
Ryan_Medina
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer Installed Muffler Question

I recently just bought a 2012 XL1200C, and one of the reasons I got the specific bike I did, was because he showed and told me that it already has SE slip-on's installed. Now looking at the slip ons, they say SEII, but I have been getting mixed reviews as to which ones those are, the newer (quieter but more performance) or older "off-road" applications ( very loud I have been reading). As well as, if there are baffles inside of it or not. Being that I am a 1st time HD owner, I don't know how to tell if they do or not. I have heard people complaining that even though the SEII's are better performance wise, they sound almost stock. Now when he fired up my bike, and a stock bike, there was a very very clear difference in sound/loudness etc. to me. I love the way they sound. As well as, if they installed the SEII's, did they have to do any other modifications for them to work correctly? Just would like to know what I actually have and such. And also, can anyone tell me if the SE Shotgun muffler heat shield they sell on the HD website will fit the SEII's? They just say SE on the description. Probably dumb question....Lol

Old 12-30-2014, 11:45 AM
wastedranger
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Newer ones have baffles that are riveted in. Older ones have bolts you can remove to remove baffles. If there is no high flo filter they probably just installed slip ons.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:47 PM
enodrano
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The fitment guide for the heat shields you mention say they fit SE mufflers. I suspect they do. They clamp onto the pipe not the muffler so they probably work with many applications. I personally would not use them unless I was carry passengers a lot.

Also, all SE mufflers come with baffles. They also meet DOT noise limit requirements for all states except maybe California. That's out of the box though. Who knows what the previous owner did. The baffles could have been removed, drilled and/or replaced. If you have a smartphone download a decibel meter and check how loud they are. Don't trust you ear. The mufflers will sound different depending on the environment and the ear listening.

As for performance, a lot of folks think just buying a slip-on muffler will increase performance. Stock Harleys are calibrated for the best performance using the large amount of back pressure from their very restrictive DOT compliant mufflers. The old SE mufflers were louder because they had less restrictive baffles resulting in less back pressure. The new ones are more restrictive so they are more inline with the stock muffler. The only way to get a boost in performance by opening the exhaust is by also opening the top end with a high flow air cleaner and a flashed ECM. There's no need to Flash your ECM if the only mod was slip-ons.

Old 12-30-2014, 03:22 PM
Ryan_Medina
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok thanks! I will take a look at them when I get home. I know they are just the slip ons the dealer said. Sounds good to me, could be a tad louder, but nothing major. Interested in a happy medium of style, as well as performance, so will def keep that in mind with anything I add. As far as the muffler shields, might not need them, but would be possibly interested in longer pegs. I find myself having to keep checking that my boots aren't resting up against the sides. I am only 5'8" 155lb, and I find after an hour or so of riding, I get cramps in my hips, as well as lower back. The bike came with engine guards, so will definitely be adding some highway pegs as well to be able to stretch out. I just feel like it is an awkward riding position. My next purchase is going to be some mini-apes or something to bring my hand up a little closer to shoulder height. I feel like that would help a lot.....