General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need a couple of Helmets ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 03:53 PM
sharpshooter
Road Warrior
Received 148 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Need a couple of Helmets ?

This isnt another "whats the smallest helmet out there" thread.. Ive been looking all over the place. Where are you guys getting yours from? Ive got an old style outlaw helmet that covers the mushroom head part of things. Im needing a full face, and my GF is really liking the open face style. Id like them to be Bluetooth so she can talk to me while on the road. Im just not sure on the lingo of the products these days. If I wanted to go with one brand of helmet, could she go with a different brand and they still sync up ? Any pointers would be great... Shes new to riding and I want to make her experience as good as possible.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:01 PM
cruzomatic
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I just bought a new helment from www.revzilla.com. They have lots and lots of videos that can help with your selection. In your case though, you might want to go somewhere to try them on though if you have fitment problems. Then shop around for the best price maybe.

Old 12-30-2014, 04:21 PM
Str8chuter
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by sharpshooter
This isnt another "whats the smallest helmet out there" thread.. Ive been looking all over the place. Where are you guys getting yours from? Ive got an old style outlaw helmet that covers the mushroom head part of things. Im needing a full face, and my GF is really liking the open face style. Id like them to be Bluetooth so she can talk to me while on the road. Im just not sure on the lingo of the products these days. If I wanted to go with one brand of helmet, could she go with a different brand and they still sync up ? Any pointers would be great... Shes new to riding and I want to make her experience as good as possible.
You can use any brand helmet you like as long as the Bluetooth electronics are compatable with each other and fit the helmet. Personally I would shop for a bluetooth system that has a good range and excellent sound dynamics. After all, it can get noisy on a motorcycle. I would check out the Bluetooth tutorial videos on Rev-Zilla and talk to one of their salespeople about the Pros & Cons of the various systems.

Ride Safe - Ride Smart

"He Who Lives In Joy Does His Creator's Will".
The Baal Shem Tov, Founder of Chasidic Judaism... ca. 1750's

Last edited by Str8chuter; 12-30-2014 at 04:22 PM. Reason: clarity
Old 12-30-2014, 08:06 PM
Sleepintiger
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

My wife and I have full face helmets that I have attached Scala Riders to. My son also has a Scala system and the communication is great between the three of us. This allows us to pick the helmets that fit and then put the Scala Riders in them. Still able to moved the system from helmet to future helmets. There are other brands of rider to rider communication out there. You can do a search and pick the one you like best.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:14 PM
Plvs Vltra
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I picked up a Bell Rogue earlier this year mainly for the speaker pockets. I use the UClear Bluetooth speaker/voice system and love the combo. The Rogue is a seriously comfy helmet, and extremely quite. At idle I can only hear a low rumble from my non-baffled pipes.

Old 12-30-2014, 09:42 PM
maverick2076
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Lick's NovDot for an old school, 3/4 look. For a FF, I picked up a Biltwell Gringo a couple months ago and I love it. With its open design it feels much like wearing a 3/4 and doesn't make me claustrophobic like most FF helmets do, and I love the retro styling. I've got a snap on bubble shield for inclement weather that fits both helmets and is much better than wearing goggles in the rain.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:47 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,488 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Save your money, any DOT certified helmet will save your skull. Over 40 years of riding, I've owned the Arai's and Shoei's as well as less expensive brands. About 15 years ago, I just got used to open face helmets and Harley ones have been comfy and you can usually get one on sale this time of year for under $100. I wear the same helmet all year and replace it every 5-7 years.

Old 12-31-2014, 08:36 AM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

For Bluetooth its really hard to beat Sena. The SMH10R is super low profile and works fantastic.
For helmets its a personal preference but Revzilla is top notch....even better if your local. I'm a Shoei fanboy but that's just me.
Good Luck!

Old 01-01-2015, 02:17 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 814 Likes on 800 Posts

got us a couple Bell customs 500's. last yr. love the fit, only wish they had some air vents or maybe I just need to wear a doo rag..