General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

10 Lessons Learned Getting Music Into My Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 09:06 AM
Lightyear68
Tourer
Received 121 Likes on 44 Posts
Default 10 Lessons Learned Getting Music Into My Helmet

This thread is for those solo riders who want music in their helmet via inside speakers.

I get that some have awesome stereo systems in their fairings, and some swear by ear buds. I ride a non-fairing Fat Boy and model lawful behavior for the riders I teach as a Maryland MSF instructor--in Maryland it's illegal to ride with both ear buds inserted.

All I really wanted was music in my helmet via speakers, and my research taught me a few things:

1. Only a few systems offer built-in FM receivers;
2. Streaming music via Bluetooth drains my iPhone data too much;
3. Most of the systems cost so much because of intercom capabilities and connectivity distances--not factors for me;
4. Sena gets the best reviews for speaker quality;
5. Sena offers a scaled down version of their top-rated SHM-10 called the SMH-5 which does everything I want. It also does everything the SHM-10 does [including allow me to answer calls with voice control] but on a smaller scale with less battery life and closer connectivity distances for intercom;
6. Sena offers a non-FM version for 20 dollars less--be sure to choose the one that's right for you;
7. Sena offers a boom mike option for open face and modular flip up helmets, or the wired mike option for full face--again order carefully based on your needs;
8. Some systems allow connection to a PC for updating firmware and programming call numbers and radio stations--the SMH-5 does all of the above;
9. The Sena was easy to install in my Shark Evoline Helmet, and has mounting options for any helmet.
10. There's a learning curve to these systems and when you're sitting in at your computer reading the online manual with your helmet on calling your cell phone and talking into your new mike, your family will make fun of you.

The ScalaRider gets very good reviews also, and if I wanted more functions I would have considered it.

So I went with the Sena SMH-5 with FM receiver, and was happy enough with it to write this post.

If you're looking for a cost-effective and lawful way to get music in your helmet via speakers, go with the Sena SMH-5 FM for about $120 at most retailers.

Old 12-31-2014, 10:08 AM
2007fxstc
Tourer
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

My gal and I have found we both don't care for buds and the wrap around the ear type. Went to cycle gear and found the Uclear brand.

Comes with all you need them mounted In side full and 3/4 helmets. And with some ideas she came up with a way to mount them in her 1/2 helmet and my Beanie helmet.

Love the sound, very clear and loud! 40 bks and you can move the system to another helmet if needed.

This company also makes blue tooth stuff also.
We plug ours into anything that uses a headphone jack.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:57 PM
thirt8spl
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice write up!

I went with the non FM version of the SMH5 and love it. I have the same helmet and the system works great. We must think alike!

I don't use the intercom with other bikes but may get a chance to on a run from Nebraska to the Dragon this summer. Most of the time I am solo but occasionally have the Mrs. on the back and love that we can chat and share the same music. I have a powerpoint with the phone plugged in and can listen to music, and GPS as long as the ride lasts.

Congrats on a nice system and helmet!

Old 01-02-2015, 03:24 PM
peg20
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got the SMH-5FM and have to have the volume set at the absolute maximum to be able to hear in around town over my pipes. Good enough for satnav, but terrible for music. On the motorway at 70mph, I can just about hear it say something, and have to look at the phone to see what it's trying to tell me. Wouldn't be able to recognise a song at that speed.

(I've tried with both iPhone and an Samsung S4 mini, and I wear a Schuberth S2 FF helmet.)

Old 01-03-2015, 03:38 PM
DrewNJ
Tourer
Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

My wife and I both use Sena SMH-10R setups currently. They are as low profile as it gets and run under $300 for the pair.
However, prior to that I had wired a set of speakers in my helmet that I got out of one of those winter hats that have built in speakers. I plugged the speakers into an older generation Ipod shuffle that is about the size of a match book and velcroed it to the inside chin bar of my full face helmet. This setup worked great and was easy to use too.

I do like the Sena setups best though. Download your music to your phone at home and stream it bluetooth to your helmet to save your data if needed....

Old 01-03-2015, 09:36 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

We just bought the Sena SMH10-D but haven't rode with them yet because of the weather. It's supposed to be sunny tomorrow and we're going riding. We got them because hand signals can only be so helpful. I like that she can listen to her music and I don't have to.