General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What's the deal?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2014, 02:44 PM
TheHHMF
Tourer
Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts
Default What's the deal?

Hi guys, have something I've gotta put out there.

So many of you here on the forums and out there in the world like to bash the Motor Company for anything and everything. Yet you own the product and support the brand.

Help me understand why

Old 12-31-2014, 03:30 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,494 Likes on 1,604 Posts

Human nature.

We all like to complain about the short comings of our machines (and the MOCO) but we rarely (if ever) speak about how much our bikes(s) and sport means to us, and even more rarely compliment all of the folks who design, engineer, build and market their products to us.

I've been riding H-D's since October, '74 (a gold '75 Sportster XLH) and I've bought many since.

Got a '13 CVO Ultra now (along with a few other models) and plan to have a Tri-Glide sometime in the not-too distant future.

Can't imagine NOT having a hawg in the garage!

Old 12-31-2014, 03:37 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Can you be more specific? There are complainers that just like to complain/troll and then there are those who have legitament issues with their purchases and/or dealer. If customers don't hold companies responsible for quality issues who will? Customers not settling is how companies improve.

I've never had a mechinical issue with any of my Harleys but I know that has not always been the case with Harley motorcycles. It because of the feed back from the customer both positive and negative that has resulted in Harley putting out a better product.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:37 PM
High Roller
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Because we love the bikes but hate the greedy marketing machine H-D has become. Personally I wish they would stick to making bikes and parts, and forget about all the overpriced t-shirts, stuffed animals, playing cards and other crap. Go into any dealership and about half of the store is filled with clothes and toys and other junk.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:39 PM
Spartanden
Club Member

Received 8,249 Likes on 6,009 Posts

Good thought... I've wondered the same. I've not bashed the MOCO but I have the dealer. I think if I were as unhappy about the manufacturer and distribution network as some seem, I simply would not purchase the product. Will be interesting to see some of the comments.....

Old 12-31-2014, 03:43 PM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

No bashing from me. HD has done me ok since 1974. Always had one in the shop ever since along with other brands. Nothing like the real thing baby.

Old 12-31-2014, 03:44 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Very few of you had the pleasure of the AMF era. Many of the problems were labor disputes. UAW workers sabatoging bikes. The 1974 FXE my dad had was a POS. The Evo motor saved Harley. Too bad quality has slipped some. They'll figure it out as sales drop.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:02 PM
JohnMn
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 272 Likes on 211 Posts

I've not bashed the MOCO but I have the dealer.
Same here,, it's that and,,
Because we love the bikes but hate the greedy marketing machine H-D has become.
Folks ride and work on "metric" bikes also,, folks can buy parts anywhere and do their own work, right ?
Slap an HD label on it/or for HD and the same part costs 3 times as much.

Old 12-31-2014, 04:22 PM
JW1200
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 20,877 Likes on 8,237 Posts

What do you care? .......... You must not have a Harley. If you have to ask...................

Dudes trollin.

Old 12-31-2014, 05:27 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,863 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Originally Posted by High Roller
Because we love the bikes but hate the greedy marketing machine H-D has become. Personally I wish they would stick to making bikes and parts, and forget about all the overpriced t-shirts, stuffed animals, playing cards and other crap. Go into any dealership and about half of the store is filled with clothes and toys and other junk.
Why are the dealerships filled with "clothes and toys and other junk" to include "overpriced t-shirts"? Because the MoCo makes a fortune on the general merchandise.

Here is an excerpt from the 2011 financial report I pulled from the website:

Revenue from Motorcycles for the full year was $3.55 billion, a 13.3 percent increase compared to the year-ago period. Full-year P&A revenue was $816.6 million, a 9.0 percent increase compared to 2010. General Merchandise revenue was $274.1 million, a 5.8 percent increase compared to 2010.

They made $3.5 Biilion dollars on motorcycles, almost $1 Biilion on parts and accessories and $275 Miilion on the general merchandise that fills the dealerships. That "stuff" isn't going away anytime soon.

Here is the full report for those that care to read it:

http://investor.harley-davidson.com/...cle&ID=1651657

Quick Reply: What's the deal?